Author Topic: Baylor situation gets worse  (Read 22166 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: Baylor situation gets worse
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2019, 12:43:20 PM »
Disagree. When I think Art Briles, I think of Art Briles the famous skipper of Guelfi Fierenze. But perhaps that's recency bias.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2019, 04:48:43 PM »
You should be aware that Dax thought the world of Art.  He even made a thread about how much better Briles was than Snyder.  :ROFL:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2019, 10:14:13 PM »
art briles? more like fart smiles, amirite?
lrwtp
#1cat

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2019, 05:54:07 AM »
 :ROFL:
lrwtp
#1cat

The Word.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2019, 09:01:11 AM »
lrwtp
#1cat

:thumbs: :cheers:

Offline POWL

• Combo-Fan
  • just sayin....
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2019, 11:56:35 AM »
 :sdeek:
Beems 2015 - "Honestly, I'd be surprised if this message board survived another five years."

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2019, 04:42:34 PM »
That writer hit it on the nail head.  Briles was and is a self centered bad person.  A me first: do anything to win no matter how many young women get hurt kind of guy.  And to think some idiots thought he would be great for KSU.  :sdeek:
;

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2019, 04:40:13 PM »
Mt Vernon admin didn't think this one through very far.

https://twitter.com/MikeLeslieWFAA/status/1133449146969546752

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2019, 05:36:19 PM »
It’s a pretty interesting test case for the theory that winning fixes everything.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2019, 03:15:50 AM »
Most of the outrage surrounding Art Briles has little to nothing to do with rape victims. Football fans feigning outrage over this is pathetic. The culture at Baylor that allowed this to happen is not only prevalent in football but it's all over our culture and society. A lot of the same people waging their finger at Briles are the same ones who would use a word like broad and reject the existence of toxic masculinity.

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2019, 04:35:07 AM »
  :facepalm:

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2019, 04:46:34 AM »
Having been to Mt. Vernon TX, it's no surprise.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2019, 09:13:16 AM »
Most of the outrage surrounding Art Briles has little to nothing to do with rape victims. Football fans feigning outrage over this is pathetic. The culture at Baylor that allowed this to happen is not only prevalent in football but it's all over our culture and society. A lot of the same people waging their finger at Briles are the same ones who would use a word like broad and reject the existence of toxic masculinity.

so, if what  you're saying is true, (it's not), then you're also saying is that this stuff happens everywhere, (it doesn't).
throughout this, you've continued to turn a blind eye to the systemic decisions at baylor that created the environment which allowed this situation to become as pervasive as it has.   it's no different than michigan state.  it takes a lot of people with a lot of power to decide that they're going to turn a blind eye.  i'm not going to pit this thread up but there's another parallel that could be drawn as well.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2019, 10:58:56 AM »
i agree though that if you've ever used the term "broad," you have no business wagging your finger at pervasive rape cover-up or whatever.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2019, 11:01:28 AM »

so, if what  you're saying is true, (it's not), then you're also saying is that this stuff happens everywhere, (it doesn't).
throughout this, you've continued to turn a blind eye to the systemic decisions at baylor that created the environment which allowed this situation to become as pervasive as it has.   it's no different than michigan state.  it takes a lot of people with a lot of power to decide that they're going to turn a blind eye.  i'm not going to pit this thread up but there's another parallel that could be drawn as well.

You're completely misinterpreting my point. I'm not turning a blind eye to anything, not even sure how you even came to that conclusion from my post. My point is that the issues that happened at Baylor did not stop nor start with Baylor or Art Briles. It's a systemic problem in our society and the men of our society who created this culture are more than happy to feign outrage at Art Briles but aren't willing to do their part to change the prevailing culture that allowed the Baylor rape culture to take hold. I'll also point out for the millionth time that this just wasn't an issue with the football program but the university. And yes, a rape culture is present everywhere, the difference is how willing the men in power at these institutions are committed to fighting and changing it, at Baylor they literally cared zero about the physical and emotional safety of the women on their campus.

As for Briles and this specific situation, I have no issue with him getting another job, maybe like Mike Riley, he's learned and grown and will be able to be a mentor to the young men he's charged with leading and he'll be an ally to all women. If he isn't, hopefully the his bosses give a crap enough to fire his ass.

This very recent phenomenon of not allowing people the chance to atone from their mistakes and grow within themselves is gross and harmful to our society. Not as harmful as rape culture but harmful all the same.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2019, 11:11:34 AM »
Baylor shouldn't be allowed to have a football program.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2019, 01:59:58 PM »
Baylor should've received the death penalty.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2019, 02:21:36 PM »
This very recent phenomenon of not allowing people the chance to atone from their mistakes and grow within themselves is gross and harmful to our society. Not as harmful as rape culture but harmful all the same.
he's more than able to atone for his mistakes and grow, while at the same time not being put in the position of leading a of a team high school kids.  he had his chance and he screwed it up and because he did, a lot of lives were negatively effected.   maybe he has learned from his mistakes but that doesn't mean he has earned the right to be entrusted in a similar position.  no one associated with that baylor mess should be rewarded with that responsibility again.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2019, 03:18:49 PM »
Damnit people, MIR will not be out-woke ITT!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2019, 06:54:11 PM »
Damnit people, MIR will not be out-woke ITT!

I guess that's one way to look at it. Mock me for caring about this issue beyond some rusty ass football coach, as if there aren't hundreds if not thousands of football coaches that think like he does, I'll wear it, no problem.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2019, 09:58:21 PM »
Or you could like start a thread to talk about the other similar atrocities that you have so far been incredibly vague about.

On topic, do you think anyone involved with the Baylor scandal received an unfairly harsh punishment? I’m not aware of anyone that did. I think one of the biggest reasons Mt. Vernon is getting criticized for hiring Briles is because they have completely downplayed/ignored the chief reason no other program wanted him. So if I was a parent at that school I would have zero confidence there was any serious oversight of Briles. I’m all for second chances but when you’re talking about kids’ well-being you can’t just take the guy at his word that he’s a new man.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2019, 10:19:36 PM »
I'm worried that Mt. Vernon is gonna start kicking our ass.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2019, 12:24:50 AM »
I'm worried that Mt. Vernon is gonna start kicking our ass.

Trim, you need to lay off the drugs/booze; Mt. Vernon is a Texas High School.   :ROFL:

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2019, 05:46:17 AM »
It would be fun to be Gary Patterson and recruit some kid from there and be all super smug with Art while visiting the school.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.