Poll

I'm thinking of wrecking threads everywhere until this shit gets fixed or I get banned, should I?

Si
35 (71.4%)
No
14 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: US Men's National Team Soccer Thread! (lower division thread)  (Read 434512 times)

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: US Men's National Team Soccer Thread! (lower division thread)
« Reply #6675 on: October 10, 2017, 10:08:23 PM »
eff Tim Howard. I hope he breaks both legs

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6676 on: October 10, 2017, 10:24:28 PM »
I will accept us not being in the world cup if it leads to promotion and relegation in all our leagues.  We need major changes to prevent something like this ever happening again.
Nothing will happen because there is no real leadership and anyone in any decision making roles are rough ridin' idiots. Academy systems are still for the most part trash, and Americans will never pull their kids out of school at age 12 to start playing and practicing full time.

oh i know.  this is just the change that I want and American soccer needs.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6677 on: October 10, 2017, 10:55:16 PM »
Who wants to go to Russia, or Qatar for that matter. rough ridin' build the team for 2026 and let's win this bad boy on our turf.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6678 on: October 10, 2017, 11:53:14 PM »
I will accept us not being in the world cup if it leads to promotion and relegation in all our leagues.  We need major changes to prevent something like this ever happening again.

OMG, we have a pro rel guy on here  :'bye cruel world:

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6679 on: October 11, 2017, 12:25:09 AM »

OMG, we have a pro rel guy on here  :'bye cruel world:
assuming wholesale changes, why are you against that system?  Hasn't it built British soccer to the top league?  Not sure you can say it's been the dominant force in domestic development there, as I don't know enough.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6680 on: October 11, 2017, 06:32:34 AM »
Also pro/rel won’t happen and pro/rel wouldn’t have prevented this. What would have prevented this would be having full fledged residency academy programs at every single club in America, and have outlets for the truly elite youth players to begin playing full time competitive games at a younger age.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6681 on: October 11, 2017, 07:41:46 AM »
Also I have a hard time believing Pete would let that bs effort happen.  Take mls cup and then do the job you were born to do Pete :cry:

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6682 on: October 11, 2017, 07:50:49 AM »
Also I have a hard time believing Pete would let that bs effort happen.  Take mls cup and then do the job you were born to do Pete :cry:

yup. it's time Vermes does what the country needs him to do. Fix it all.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6683 on: October 11, 2017, 07:54:32 AM »
also, how much do you want to bet Nike and the USSF try to set up an NIT style tournament next summer before the world cup with the US, Holland, Chile, Wales, Paraguay, Ivory Coast, Ghana, China and the losers from the playoffs,

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6684 on: October 11, 2017, 09:41:05 AM »
Wtf happened dudes? This sucks
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6685 on: October 11, 2017, 09:44:56 AM »
Ts & Ts, soccer folks
:adios:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6687 on: October 11, 2017, 10:33:52 AM »
Not a full time soccer guy but I enjoy the WC.  Pretty bummed.

I enjoy how some of the commentators are really calling these guys out.

It’s just weird considering the rocket ship rise of soccer in the US and the copious amounts of infrastructure built to support soccer over the last 15 years, and the US can’t qualify. 

Damn

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6688 on: October 11, 2017, 11:46:38 AM »
Not a full time soccer guy but I enjoy the WC.  Pretty bummed.

I enjoy how some of the commentators are really calling these guys out.

It’s just weird considering the rocket ship rise of soccer in the US and the copious amounts of infrastructure built to support soccer over the last 15 years, and the US can’t qualify. 

Damn

All the infrastructure in the world won't fix management.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6689 on: October 11, 2017, 12:09:48 PM »
Even if you convinced the MLS programs to have boarding academies similar to tennis academies, would there be any demand for it?  The tennis academies are filled by people trying to get their kids D-1 scholarships.  In other countries are the 12 year olds given scholarships for room/board with some sort of deal when they're 17/18 they will sign with that club.  Is there a binding agreement that won't work with the US system of trying to get a college scholarship?
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6690 on: October 11, 2017, 12:41:56 PM »
Even if you convinced the MLS programs to have boarding academies similar to tennis academies, would there be any demand for it?  The tennis academies are filled by people trying to get their kids D-1 scholarships.  In other countries are the 12 year olds given scholarships for room/board with some sort of deal when they're 17/18 they will sign with that club.  Is there a binding agreement that won't work with the US system of trying to get a college scholarship?

academy players go on to college literally all the time.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6691 on: October 11, 2017, 01:01:46 PM »
also, how much do you want to bet Nike and the USSF try to set up an NIT style tournament next summer before the world cup with the US, Holland, Chile, Wales, Paraguay, Ivory Coast, Ghana, China and the losers from the playoffs,

I'm not sure that FIFA would be on board with it though. ESPN would love it.

Also I don't buy this as being some kind of blow to the long term of US soccer. I'm certainly not going to spin this as a good thing either. I do think the end result of this will be better than slogging through a playoff with Australia only to flame out in group play.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6692 on: October 11, 2017, 01:30:56 PM »
Serious question, please don't get mad at me. How can the women do well with a similar system in place?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6693 on: October 11, 2017, 01:39:03 PM »
The women are probably doing about how they should given population size, financial commitment, etc. It seems like the question is more about why the men underperform so badly when measured this way. And no one has an answer!

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6694 on: October 11, 2017, 01:45:59 PM »
They should probably go ahead and get rid of this guy IMMEDIATELY.

Gulati took issue with such sentiments in the immediate aftermath.

“You don't make wholesale changes based on the ball being 2 inches wide or 2 inches in,” he said in remarks reported by ESPNFC, referring to a late shot by Clint Dempsey that would’ve leveled the match and booked the USMNT’s qualification, only to hit the post.

“So we will look at everything, obviously, all of our programs, both the national team and all the development stuff. But we've got some pieces in place that we think are very good and are coming along.”

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/10/11/us-soccer-president-gulati-speaks-qualifying-failure-not-good-enough

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6695 on: October 11, 2017, 01:53:23 PM »
Serious question, please don't get mad at me. How can the women do well with a similar system in place?

I was going to give some time before I brought up the women's success. sw needs time to grieve.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6696 on: October 11, 2017, 02:13:01 PM »
They should probably go ahead and get rid of this guy IMMEDIATELY.

Gulati took issue with such sentiments in the immediate aftermath.

“You don't make wholesale changes based on the ball being 2 inches wide or 2 inches in,” he said in remarks reported by ESPNFC, referring to a late shot by Clint Dempsey that would’ve leveled the match and booked the USMNT’s qualification, only to hit the post.

“So we will look at everything, obviously, all of our programs, both the national team and all the development stuff. But we've got some pieces in place that we think are very good and are coming along.”

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/10/11/us-soccer-president-gulati-speaks-qualifying-failure-not-good-enough
Who voted for this clown?

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6697 on: October 11, 2017, 05:14:25 PM »
The women are probably doing about how they should given population size, financial commitment, etc. It seems like the question is more about why the men underperform so badly when measured this way. And no one has an answer!
What are the two big sports that women play in the US?  (I haven't looked at the numbers but I would wager volleyball is a distant 3rd). 

And even for what meager money they get from the US federation, it's still crap loads better then what the majority of the world does for their women's teams.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6698 on: October 11, 2017, 06:49:34 PM »

We're just way ahead of everyone else but they are closing fast. We dedicated time and money to our women's program well before anyone else. When women's soccer became a thing it was us and Sweden and really no one else. China became a power then Brazil came soon after. It is rapidly becoming a world game and we don't dominate nearly the way we used to. We lost the last tournament we played and it was here.

The women will not have issues qualifying for the World Cup because CONCACAF for the women is a trainwreck. As you can imagine women's soccer isn't really a thing in developing countries.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6699 on: October 11, 2017, 07:49:33 PM »
Also as a country across literally every sport there are far more opportunities and funding for women’s sports in America than anywhere else. No country in CONCACAF will ever do enough to compete with the US.