TITLETOWN - A Decade Long Celebration Of The Greatest Achievement In College Athletics History > Other Sports (Tiger's Back)

US Men's National Team Soccer Thread! (lower division thread)

(1/1396) > >>

mcmwcat:
with the end of the European season it's now time to focus on the pinnacle of the world of futbol.  beginning June 11 most of the world will be focusing on the competition in South Africa. 

USA plays England on the 2nd day of the competition, June 12 and follows up with games June 18 and June 23.

my not so original picks to win it all are Spain or Brazil.  Spain has never won the competition before while Brazil is looking to get their 7th 6th title on their 5th continent. 

here is a sweet little map app with previews for each team: http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/worldcup/map

mcmwcat:
the 2 toughest groups as I see it are group D and group G. 

group G is the obvious choice as toughest with Brazil, Portugal, Ivory Coast and their fodder, N. Korea.  Brazil is loaded with star talent.  Portugal features 2008 FIFA player of the year Christiano Ronaldo.  Ivory Coast is lead by EPL golden boot winner, Didier Drogba, who plays for Chelsea at the club level.

group C, i think, is being overlooked by many.  Germany, Serbia, Ghana and Australia compose the teams in this group.  Germany are always favorites to make a deep run.  Serbia, who had a great qualifying run, is loaded with players playing with top clubs throughout Europe and have a stout defense.  Ghana, playing on their home continent, had a nice run in 2006 in Germany and will be hoping for the return of one of the top defensive mids in the game, Michael Essien.  Australia also made it out the group in 2006 and are led by Everton striker, Tim Cahill.  if the US makes it out of their group they will have a tough task facing one of these 4 teams in the round of 16.

mcmwcat:
17 days 10 hours 37 minutes

mcmwcat:
England v Mexico in a friendly today should be interesting.  Mexico is going crazy w/ pre cup friendlies playing  Netherlands (26th), Portugal (30th),  and Italy (3rd).  they must have a split squad going or something because they also play Gambia on the 30th. 

USA warms up v Czech Republic (tomorrow),  Turkey (29th) and Australia in S Africa (5th)

AppleJack:

--- Quote from: mcmwcat on May 24, 2010, 09:44:12 AM ---England v Mexico in a friendly today should be interesting.  Mexico is going crazy w/ pre cup friendlies playing  Netherlands (26th), Portugal (30th),  and Italy (3rd).  they must have a split squad going or something because they also play Gambia on the 30th. 

USA warms up v Czech Republic (tomorrow),  Turkey (29th) and Australia in S Africa (5th)

--- End quote ---

I wonder if Gooch sees the pitch tomorrow.  :pray:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version