Author Topic: is saturday winnable? (WVU edition)  (Read 19397 times)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Re: is saturday winnable?
« Reply #100 on: January 13, 2018, 02:45:32 PM »
It's my favorite thing to laugh at about oscar. He is absolutely awful at final possessions. I'm still LOL'n at his attempt in the NCAA tournament game against La Salle, and that was....six years ago? Jesus Christ. Having Barry lazily walk it up the court and then throw up a contested last-second three was a hilariously bad way to try to win today's game. Color me stunned it didn't work.
Remember McGruders final possession at Baylor that helped win the big 12 title?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 13, 2018, 02:48:03 PM »
also, you honestly think oscar told him to walk up the court and chuck a tested 3? Just trying to see how butthurt you are about all things oscar to honestly believe that.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 13, 2018, 02:52:14 PM »
It's my favorite thing to laugh at about oscar. He is absolutely awful at final possessions. I'm still LOL'n at his attempt in the NCAA tournament game against La Salle, and that was....six years ago? Jesus Christ. Having Barry lazily walk it up the court and then throw up a contested last-second three was a hilariously bad way to try to win today's game. Color me stunned it didn't work.

You actually think it was planned for Barry to do that? LOL. I'll ask you and everyone else, what should have been called there?

spread the court, drive and crash the boards. I thought that was obvious to everyone in the world

sure but it starts with getting into your set and you can't do that at 4 seconds and expect to get a good shot let alone a put back.  you can't walk the ball up the rough ridin' floor like it's the start of the rough ridin' game.

I mean I would think a coach would have told them to be cognizant of the time remaining in the timeout or like practiced a similar situation in practice or something

That's the deal. The play call was the right one. The issue is that we don't operate in a manner that Barry would be comfortable going quickly there.

I'll be critical of oscar for this but I'll also leave as a possibility that Barry was prepared for this but he got tight because he was playing KU in AFH and the moment was too big for him.
May as well have put it in Diarra's hands then.  He'll end up as our best guard since Pullen when his career is over.  I know it's too soon to do that but he was clearly up for the big moments.
:adios:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 13, 2018, 02:53:35 PM »

You actually think it was planned for Barry to do that? LOL. I'll ask you and everyone else, what should have been called there?

spread the court, drive and crash the boards. I thought that was obvious to everyone in the world

sure but it starts with getting into your set and you can't do that at 4 seconds and expect to get a good shot let alone a put back.  you can't walk the ball up the rough ridin' floor like it's the start of the rough ridin' game.

I mean I would think a coach would have told them to be cognizant of the time remaining in the timeout or like practiced a similar situation in practice or something

That's the deal. The play call was the right one. The issue is that we don't operate in a manner that Barry would be comfortable going quickly there.

I'll be critical of oscar for this but I'll also leave as a possibility that Barry was prepared for this but he got tight because he was playing KU in AFH and the moment was too big for him.

I disagree that it was the right call given how successful we were attacking off the dribble in the second half.

I also disagree the moment was too big for him, I mean he'd just made a three point play and had a drive lead to an offensive rebound the two previous possessions. That's actually a pretty asinine suggestion.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 13, 2018, 03:03:11 PM »

come on man

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 13, 2018, 03:12:44 PM »

I disagree that it was the right call given how successful we were attacking off the dribble in the second half.

I also disagree the moment was too big for him, I mean he'd just made a three point play and had a drive lead to an offensive rebound the two previous possessions. That's actually a pretty asinine suggestion.

Rusty, what exactly do you think a screen and roll/pop is designed to do?

Also I don't know what you and 'clams are up in arms about, I presented two opportunities as to why a normally reliable player froze up when he had the ball in his hands. Neither of us are in his head, I don't know how you can be definitive as to why he froze.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 13, 2018, 03:19:16 PM »

Also I don't know what you and 'clams are up in arms about, I presented two opportunities as to why a normally reliable player froze up when he had the ball in his hands. Neither of us are in his head, I don't know how you can be definitive as to why he froze.

This particular play was designed to get a three for Wade.

I just think your statement on Brown was just dumb given other plays immediately proceeding the play in question

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 13, 2018, 03:35:19 PM »
His plays are always too complicated at the end of games. All you need is one screen, maybe one pass, and a shot. And show some rough ridin' urgency
Luke's stock is rising as Winters continues to validate his greatness. Add Luke and Winters to my list! Also, EMAWBLAST! and Tobias!

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 13, 2018, 03:38:51 PM »

I just think your statement on Brown was just dumb given other plays immediately proceeding the play in question

When you're down by one why the hell would he want to shoot a 3 instead of go to the basket?

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 13, 2018, 03:56:26 PM »
When KState cleared out right side and put 3 guys on the left, Vick stayed in the lane to help in case of a drive.  If Barry came off screen hard and went to the rim, he may have had Vick and Azubuike to contend with.  But it left the pop out by Wade pretty open because there was no weakside help and Doke was slow in getting back to Dean

I think ku was gonna force us to shoot a jumper. Even if we spread our 3 guys out (2 on left 1 on right), I think the lane was gonna be clogged quickly with a Barry drive.

I liked the play call. I will take Dean taking the shot, instead of a possible Barry drive and kickout to 1 of the other 3

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 13, 2018, 03:57:43 PM »
The only team worse at rebounding in league games than us is KU. So I like that for us.

I didn't want to go so far in my last post to say it, but I really do see ku and k-state as being pretty close to being the same team.

holy crap  :lol:

A team that lives and dies by the 3, cant rebound and has little to no depth or presence on the inside? oscar aside, tell me how exactly different they are.

The next informed opinion that troll will give will be the first one, he's an actual idiot.

name calling, sad.

You look super dumb after this game. oscar or no oscar
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 13, 2018, 04:13:47 PM »
The second oscar saw Bill was leaving Doke in they should have gone 1 - 4 with the ball in Wade’s hand

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 13, 2018, 04:32:17 PM »
The only team worse at rebounding in league games than us is KU. So I like that for us.

I didn't want to go so far in my last post to say it, but I really do see ku and k-state as being pretty close to being the same team.

holy crap  :lol:

A team that lives and dies by the 3, cant rebound and has little to no depth or presence on the inside? oscar aside, tell me how exactly different they are.

The next informed opinion that troll will give will be the first one, he's an actual idiot.

name calling, sad.

You look super dumb after this game. oscar or no oscar
#1Cat you guys

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 13, 2018, 04:34:37 PM »

When you're down by one why the hell would he want to shoot a 3 instead of go to the basket?
cuz you're not going to get a call if hacked on the drive to the basket...that said, i would have spread the floor and let barry drive and then kick if help comes...

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 13, 2018, 04:36:04 PM »

cuz you're not going to get a call if hacked on the drive to the basket...that said, i would have spread the floor and let barry drive and then kick if help comes...
We drew fouls the two previous possessions, one on a drive and one on a putback created by a drive

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 13, 2018, 04:38:22 PM »
^yeah, i'm just saying what the argument against driving is...not sure i necessarily would go for jumper...

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 13, 2018, 04:40:13 PM »
Rusty, I like your point. I do think KU's defense would have been different, but Barry had some big drives late.

Again, not racing the ball to me was the key.

The Big Train

« Reply #117 on: January 13, 2018, 04:41:54 PM »
Really good article. oscar is a loser, plain and simple.

https://twitter.com/mellinger/status/952304107557212163

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 13, 2018, 04:51:30 PM »
But we almost won! Frank never almost won in lawrence. Advantage: oscar

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 13, 2018, 05:11:46 PM »
chodecat doesn't understand K-State history in that building ever since he got passed up by Mizzou so this loser response makes sense.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 13, 2018, 05:18:59 PM »
Rusty, I like your point. I do think KU's defense would have been different, but Barry had some big drives late.

Again, not racing the ball to me was the key.
Of course walking the ball up was the worst part. Another thing that hasn't been discussed is how slow Wade is with the ball. His drives are almost always methodically feeling out the defense and he's even pretty show in a catch and shoot. (Those aren't really criticisms of Wade, just using him in that particular situation.)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 13, 2018, 05:23:20 PM »
Frank is going to miss the tourney 6 out of 7 years there now. :frown:

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 13, 2018, 05:28:57 PM »
His plays are always too complicated at the end of games. All you need is one screen, maybe one pass, and a shot. And show some rough ridin' urgency

This.

Every good coach has plays for just this situation and they're practiced, just so happens Oscar is not a good coach.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
is saturday winnable?
« Reply #123 on: January 13, 2018, 05:42:13 PM »
This play seemed pretty simple to me. Two man, pick and pop, then rescreen if its not there. :dunno:

Problem is, usually it's Kam running the point, not Barry, so he probably hasn't practiced it a bunch. Call it a an excuse if you want, don't @ me.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 13, 2018, 05:45:24 PM »
chodecat doesn't understand K-State history in that building ever since he got passed up by Mizzou so this loser response makes sense.
wut