Author Topic: The Last Jedi discusso WITH SPOILERS  (Read 9782 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Jedi discusso WITH SPOILERS
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2017, 11:25:31 AM »
The speed and hyperspace ability of certain ships might seem like nitpicking, but it is unfortunately a huge part of the plot and riddled with plot holes. Really annoying.

Everyone has their theory as to why fan reviews are so low. The truth? The script was a hot mess of lazy storytelling, absurd plot holes, recycled ideas and lifeless characterizations. Over 50 percent of the movie is about an elite squadron of Star Destroyers failing to catch a single Rebel transport ship that is taking 20 hours to run out of gas.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.nytimes.com/2017/12/18/movies/the-last-jedi-fans-critics.amp.html
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2017, 02:09:35 PM »
Rey didn't come from nobody parents. Mark it down. Hot take.
I read up on this and it's old clone wars weaponry that the resistance had stumbled upon and had for super backup emergency situations. So the bombers weren't new tech. The bombs were also said to be very heavy so they would just fall through space.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2017, 02:11:39 PM »
I read up on this and it's old clone wars weaponry that the resistance had stumbled upon and had for super backup emergency situations. So the bombers weren't new tech. The bombs were also said to be very heavy so they would just fall through space.

:shy:

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2017, 02:13:03 PM »

This was meant to reply Phil's other post not the Rey post.

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2017, 02:16:33 PM »
Weight equals mass times gravity, greg.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2017, 02:23:02 PM »
Which direction do things "fall" in space?

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2017, 04:17:09 PM »
not a good look, greg

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2017, 11:31:30 PM »
ok, the hyperspace kamikaze attack. while inarguably the best scene in the movie, in the plot it was ridiculous and the fact that it was even possible totally changes what space warfare would have been like.

ok, if they knew this was possible, and they were sacrificing ships and people anyhow, why didn't they flip a bitch on that first straggling evacuated frigate and lightspeed jump it right into the center of that giant cheese wedge?

we already know that small starfighters and apparently even small escape pods can hyperjump, how are there not hyperspeed cruise missiles? all space wars would be fought from many thousands of kilometers away with devastating hyperspace missiles. no  bombers. no xwings. no tie fighters. no bombers

no bombers

I don't get the hyperspace criticism. Of course a ship that's a few miles long traveling through hyperspace is going to blow up whatever it hits. Han Solo made that point in the first movie. I think the movie made a good point of the First Order guys having every opportunity to shoot down the ship before it entered hyperspace and choosing not to. It's not a viable way of attacking if whoever you are trying to hit isn't that dumbass ginger guy.

my criticism isn't that it happened, its that why didn't it  happen first and for that matter, why isn't it the first thing that happens in EVERY battle.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2017, 11:42:26 PM »
I think that when youre IN hyperspace, you don't hit stuff, like youre operating outside of normal space physics. its the jump phase of accelerating to hyper speed that you can collide. that's what I think.

you could have a hyperspace tomahawk missile that exits hyperspace right into an enemy ship.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2017, 11:43:31 PM »
you probably hate idris elba too you big jerk

take it back, you know I would never

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2017, 11:44:40 PM »
Arcing cannonball shots from the big ship. Come on.............

somebody defend this.

nobody dares

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2017, 11:46:25 PM »
I really did like how they killed snoke just like whatever and then spent the rest of the time fighting his minions. good twist.

its like if you killed king koopa on the first level of Mario and then spend the rest of the game jumping on mushroom heads and turtle men

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2017, 11:50:21 PM »
next up: the foiled cloaked transport escape

SIR, BENICIO DEL TORO TOLD US THE TRANSPORTS WERE CLOAKED SO WE DECIDED TO RUN A SCAN FOR CLOAKED SHIPS AND SURE NUFF THEY WERE RIGHT THERE!

like, where would we be if running a scan for cloaked ships was, like, SOP?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2017, 12:34:22 AM »
I think that when youre IN hyperspace, you don't hit stuff, like youre operating outside of normal space physics. its the jump phase of accelerating to hyper speed that you can collide. that's what I think.

you could have a hyperspace tomahawk missile that exits hyperspace right into an enemy ship.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcX8mDRIhYE[/youtube]

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2017, 08:34:37 AM »
For the sake of Christmas, I implore you cynical bastards to SUSPEND YOUR DISBELIEFS and enjoy a pretty decent, if overly long sci fi movie.

And arcing cannonballs are cool AF.  :Woohoo:

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 22, 2017, 09:40:52 AM »
It is hard to suspend your belief when we are talking about real life stuff here.

FYI, in case you want to join the Jedi religion.
http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/jedi-religion-thousands-of-people-all-over-the-world-are-converting-to-jediism

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2017, 10:55:52 AM »
I personally love this movie. I thought it was better than Rogue one and TFA. But that's just me.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 22, 2017, 10:57:26 AM »
It was def not better than Rogue one but it was fine.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2017, 12:01:15 PM »

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcX8mDRIhYE[/youtube]

Beat me to it - and with video!
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 22, 2017, 12:12:53 PM »
I like these new movies better than the original trilogy. And I say that as as someone who grew up with the originals as a kid. The acting is better. The effects are better. The stories are at least comparable (often because it is blatantly copied). Rogue One is my favorite just because it was different, it segued so perfectly into Ep IV, and you finally got to briefly see Vader be a total badass.

I still love the originals, but they're more nostalgic than exciting for me now.

The biggest problem with Force Awakens is how blatantly they copied Epi IV. The biggest problem with Last Jedi is how f'ing dumb and riddled with plot holes the whole middle part of that movie was. Just being honest. I still liked it overall, but not sure I'll take my kids to see it in theater because I just don't want to sit through another hour of purple haired Laura Dern, Finn and Rando Asian Chick, and Ocean's 11 to get to the good stuff.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 22, 2017, 08:22:55 PM »
DNR this thread to now but here is mine and 4 year old sd review:

It was just ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 22, 2017, 11:07:30 PM »
I like these new movies better than the original trilogy. And I say that as as someone who grew up with the originals as a kid. The acting is better. The effects are better. The stories are at least comparable (often because it is blatantly copied). Rogue One is my favorite just because it was different, it segued so perfectly into Ep IV, and you finally got to briefly see Vader be a total badass.

I still love the originals, but they're more nostalgic than exciting for me now.

The biggest problem with Force Awakens is how blatantly they copied Epi IV. The biggest problem with Last Jedi is how f'ing dumb and riddled with plot holes the whole middle part of that movie was. Just being honest. I still liked it overall, but not sure I'll take my kids to see it in theater because I just don't want to sit through another hour of purple haired Laura Dern, Finn and Rando Asian Chick, and Ocean's 11 to get to the good stuff.

You don't need nostalgia to know how kickass Empires Strikes Back is, or that there is a lot of good in the original (even if it's overly copies by many successors). But yes, these newer ones are better than the prequel drivel and it isn't close. I also liked Rogue One a lot, though it was kinda like Revenge of the Sith in that you kinda knew everything that was going to happen. That being said, the execution of the movie and the entire last 1/3 of the movie, topped off by Vader's badassery makes it pretty damn good
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Testy Westy

• Katpak'r
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 23, 2017, 12:41:18 AM »
This movie was very meh and closer to terrible than good. The “well it’s not as bad as the prequels so it’s alright” crowd sounds a lot like the “k-state football was terrible before snyder so it could be worse” crowd.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 23, 2017, 12:57:28 AM »
I'll accept that but you go ahead and watch a 1983 cats game and then I'll rewatch episode 1

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 23, 2017, 08:58:04 AM »
Arcing cannonball shots from the big ship. Come on.............

somebody defend this.

nobody dares

i mostly just assume none of the stuff that happens is irl and watch the stupid make believe alien people movie