Author Topic: LHC Bill Snyder saved Kansas State University  (Read 41028 times)

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: LHC Bill Snyder saved Kansas State University
« Reply #125 on: December 19, 2017, 10:20:28 AM »
Do people know what airports are? MHK's location isn't as big of an issue as it was 25 years ago.

Now, the arctic temperatures of the flint hills, those will always be at play.

I love the airport argument!  Most players will generally fly their immediate and extended family in for game days now that we have a nice airport with flights and such.  Don't forget facilities!   :gocho:

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #126 on: December 19, 2017, 10:20:46 AM »
Curious, how do you get a top 35 rating by using post season accolades? You just counting up All Americans + All Conference?

Offline PIPE

• Katpak'r
  • Always a pessimist
    • View Profile
Re: LHC LHC Bill Snyder saved Kansas State University
« Reply #127 on: December 19, 2017, 10:58:03 AM »
Will the cats have the last ranked class?  KU currently has a better class than us. Let that sink in..... :buh-bye:
Awaiting the inevitable KITN

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 19, 2017, 11:05:16 AM »
Will the cats have the last ranked class?  KU currently has a better class than us. Let that sink in..... :buh-bye:

dude, K-State is 14-14 in conference and 15-18 against P5's the last 3 years (dec of '14), they don't need to recruit better.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 19, 2017, 11:23:24 AM »
Jordy Nelson exists so all walk-ons should be assumed to be second rounders

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 19, 2017, 11:36:01 AM »
Jordy Nelson exists so all walk-ons should be assumed to be second rounders

In my mind Jordy is a recruiting miss.  Certainly missed identifying his talent or he would have been offered a scholarship.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 19, 2017, 11:45:36 AM »
i don't like this whiskerbiscuit guy. 
If your goal is to bring in players that perform such that the team is successful and players obtain post season recognition, I'm not sure how you can argue that we aren't doing just fine.
My goal is to compete for conference titles every once in a while, and the last time we even sniffed the conference championship race was 2014, a year we got completely out-classed by TCU and Baylor, the two legitimate contenders. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 19, 2017, 11:55:07 AM »
Curious, how do you get a top 35 rating by using post season accolades? You just counting up All Americans + All Conference?

I'm not sure why this is so difficult, i'm guessing i'm just getting trolled.  Regardless, the web nerds ranked our 2013 recruiting class dead last in the Big 12.  The 2012 class was ranked 9th our of 10, slightly ahead of KU.   Is that truly reflective of our talent and if so, how do we get 4 players on the All Big 12 first team (more than our "share")?  Or should the quality of our recruiting efforts be measured AFTER the completion of eligibility for the recruited players?  Which is a more accurate reflection of ability to "recruit" talent?

I guess validation by web nerds is what is clearly the most important thing to you guys.  It's just not to me and thankfully not to Bill. 

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #133 on: December 19, 2017, 11:59:34 AM »
Ok but you said top 35.  I was curious how you got that number.

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 19, 2017, 12:06:16 PM »
Ok but you said top 35.  I was curious how you got that number.

Rectal extraction.  Not sure how you would rank the class 4-5 years after...much easier when the webnerds assign a "number grade" to each recruit based on their arbitrary system.   Would be an interesting exercise.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 12:14:04 PM by Whisker Biscuit »

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 19, 2017, 12:18:39 PM »
Top 135 is probably a safe bet.  :th_twocents:

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 19, 2017, 12:23:13 PM »
I think I like WB.

He's dumber than all crap, but bless his K-State loving heart.

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 19, 2017, 12:51:50 PM »
I think I like WB.

He's dumber than all crap, but bless his K-State loving heart.

Your validation completes me   :blush:   Friends?  :cheers:

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #139 on: December 19, 2017, 01:20:44 PM »
The way Snyder has operated is no secret. People have been writing about it consistently during 2.0. It is what it is.

http://www.espn.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/119830/bill-snyders-unconventional-recruiting-strategy-continues-to-defy-and-win

http://www.espn.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/89520/kansas-state-walk-on-u

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2140118-how-college-footballs-most-underrated-coach-keeps-kansas-state-relevant
Yes.  Every strategy has is strengths and weaknesses.  I have said in other threads (I think) that the weakness with this strategy is that we don't necessarily have the
1) depth to withstand a full season of college football and still compete at the highest level at the end of the year
2) playmaker(s) who can overcome bad/high risk playcalls/situations/mistakes made by coaches and teammates   

It was hard for me to think we had any thing close to a playoff caliber team this year because we didn't have that nameable NFL talent (and as it ended up we were clearly not). I should go back, but I imagine that every playoff team (and then before that every team in the BCS champ game) had at least 1 NFL caliber player in every group (OL ,DL, DB, LB, Skill positions) if not more.

For (1) that's where we will likely never get on the same level as the big P5 schools.  It's unlikely we can ever build that depth because we lack the resources and the talent density to do so.  That (plus having the best coaches in the sport) is what makes Alabama/Ohios State machines, and it lets programs like UF and Michigan recover quickly from coaching disasters. But if we do want to win the conference again or make the playoffs we will need a combination of (2), great coaching, and quite a bit of luck.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 19, 2017, 01:51:53 PM »
The way Snyder has operated is no secret. People have been writing about it consistently during 2.0. It is what it is.

http://www.espn.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/119830/bill-snyders-unconventional-recruiting-strategy-continues-to-defy-and-win

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2140118-how-college-footballs-most-underrated-coach-keeps-kansas-state-relevant
Yes.  Every strategy has is strengths and weaknesses.  I have said in other threads (I think) that the weakness with this strategy is that we don't necessarily have the
1) depth to withstand a full season of college football and still compete at the highest level at the end of the year
2) playmaker(s) who can overcome bad/high risk playcalls/situations/mistakes made by coaches and teammates   

It was hard for me to think we had any thing close to a playoff caliber team this year because we didn't have that nameable NFL talent (and as it ended up we were clearly not). I should go back, but I imagine that every playoff team (and then before that every team in the BCS champ game) had at least 1 NFL caliber player in every group (OL ,DL, DB, LB, Skill positions) if not more.

For (1) that's where we will likely never get on the same level as the big P5 schools.  It's unlikely we can ever build that depth because we lack the resources and the talent density to do so.  That (plus having the best coaches in the sport) is what makes Alabama/Ohios State machines, and it lets programs like UF and Michigan recover quickly from coaching disasters. But if we do want to win the conference again or make the playoffs we will need a combination of (2), great coaching, and quite a bit of luck.

We were very close to that in 2012 in terms of having a NFL player in each group (Lockett-WR, BJ/Lucas OL, AB -LB, Meshak was close on the DL, secondary would've been our biggest question mark but Malone/Chapman/One Y were very good) and CK was a great college QB.

I buy the Bama/tOSU/Michigan etc machine thing. But other schools can have a season like that every 5-10 years, and we are close to that. Luck wasn't on our side in 2012 for 1 game and it cost us the shot against a good but not great ND team.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 19, 2017, 02:00:56 PM »

I agree with everything you said there.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 19, 2017, 02:08:42 PM »
The recruits coming in the door are not the same as the players that are developed.  It was interesting that we placed 4 players on first team all conference, second only to Oklahoma.  Recruiting rankings don't impress me in the least.

Listening to the radio the other day (I know it's a different sport, but the comparison is still valid), it came out that Michael Jordan was ranked pretty low as a college recruit.  Like not even in the top 200 players.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #143 on: December 19, 2017, 02:32:19 PM »
It's not perfect, but if you include every team in college football I think you will find that recruiting rankings correlate quite well with winning (this has been shown several times).   It's not sole determiner, but it's more important than I think some people want to admit.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 19, 2017, 02:38:27 PM »
Idea:  genetically combine Bob stoops and and LHC Bill Snyder, hire the product as hc, sean st coach, Brent DC, and chip Kelly OC

Only tough decision is if we call "it" Bobby snyder or Billy stoops
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 19, 2017, 02:40:09 PM »
We really should look into the feasibility of using NBAF to make our coaches and football players for us instead of curing cow aids.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #146 on: December 19, 2017, 02:40:59 PM »
Sob Soups.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 19, 2017, 02:43:28 PM »
We really should look into the feasibility of using NBAF to make our coaches and football players for us instead of curing cow aids.

Shooter Jones, you getting this? This is exactly the type of forward thinking our AD needs
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 19, 2017, 03:13:29 PM »
It's not perfect, but if you include every team in college football I think you will find that recruiting rankings correlate quite well with winning (this has been shown several times).   It's not sole determiner, but it's more important than I think some people want to admit.

You should do one of your charts with "recruiting rankings" or "number of 4/5 star recruits" compared to "wins". I'm fairly certain we would be an outlier.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #149 on: December 19, 2017, 03:14:17 PM »
I'm sure we are.