Author Topic: Taxes (GOP 2017 edition)  (Read 137703 times)

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
Re: Taxes (GOP 2017 edition)
« Reply #625 on: November 30, 2017, 02:51:24 PM »
You arent this simple. Good gE'ing

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: November 30, 2017, 02:55:05 PM »

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: November 30, 2017, 03:08:44 PM »
That's quite a bit of flawed reasoning. Just use this.

http://www.macrotrends.net/2481/stock-market-performance-by-president

:lol: Ok bub. I just stated numbers. You can rationalize it all you want, but the market's enthusiasm for Trump and tax reform is undeniable.

If you look at percentages, which can also be stated as numbers, the stock market performance during Obama and Trump is extremely similar. And Obama did not have a major corporate tax cut. That seems like the opposite of what you are wanting to conclude.

Extremely similar? In one year under Trump, the markets are up about 33%. They increased by 12% under Obama's first year, and that was coming out of a horrible recession. At this rate, Trump will vastly exceed Obama's market performance.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: November 30, 2017, 03:39:26 PM »
There are no room.for facts in this thread.

The Big Train

« Reply #629 on: November 30, 2017, 03:41:46 PM »
The propaganda machine has really roped KSUW in for sure.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: November 30, 2017, 03:45:18 PM »
the trump echo chamber reverberates

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: November 30, 2017, 03:51:26 PM »
Guys don't worry about the deficit this will cause...the stock market will go up! Solved!

This is probably a good spot to update how amazing President Business has been for the markets and folks' retirement accounts. The DJIA:

November 4, 2008 (election day): 9,625
November 5, 2009 (the next day): 9,139 (the market plummets 486 points - that is incredible)
November 27, 2009 (387 days later): 10,310 (1,171 points up from 11/5)

November 6, 2012 (election day): 13,246
November 7, 2012 (the next day): 12,933 (the market plummets 313 points - ouch)

November 8, 2016 (election day): 18,363
November 9, 2016 (the next day): 18,590 (the market leaps by 227 - weird....)
November 30, 2017 (387 days later): 24,251 (5,888 point gain)

Ok, so key takeaways:
1. The markets did quite well under Obama, gaining 9,224 points from his election to Trump's election.
2. But investors sure hated Obama being elected in general, punishing the markets the day after both his elections.
3. By contrast, investors loved Trump's election, adding 227 points the day he was elected.
4. And most staggering of all, the markets have added 5,888 points in the 387 days since Trump was elected.

That's right, in a little over one year under Trump, the markets have already achieved 2/3 of the total gains under Obama's 8 years.

Which segues nicely to the NYT's preeminent economist Paul Krugman, the night of Trump's election:

It really does now look like President Donald J. Trump, and markets are plunging. When might we expect them to recover?

Frankly, I find it hard to care much, even though this is my specialty. The disaster for America and the world has so many aspects that the economic ramifications are way down my list of things to fear.

Still, I guess people want an answer: If the question is when markets will recover, a first-pass answer is never.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/projects/cp/opinion/election-night-2016/paul-krugman-the-economic-fallout

I responded to this the last time you posted it.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: November 30, 2017, 03:53:10 PM »
That's quite a bit of flawed reasoning. Just use this.

http://www.macrotrends.net/2481/stock-market-performance-by-president

:lol: Ok bub. I just stated numbers. You can rationalize it all you want, but the market's enthusiasm for Trump and tax reform is undeniable.

If you look at percentages, which can also be stated as numbers, the stock market performance during Obama and Trump is extremely similar. And Obama did not have a major corporate tax cut. That seems like the opposite of what you are wanting to conclude.

Extremely similar? In one year under Trump, the markets are up about 33%. They increased by 12% under Obama's first year, and that was coming out of a horrible recession. At this rate, Trump will vastly exceed Obama's market performance.

lol what a nut

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: November 30, 2017, 04:07:38 PM »
Trump really got lucky to inherit such a great economy
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: November 30, 2017, 06:03:28 PM »
since it's been clearly established that presidents have such a huge influence on the economy, I just know that KSUW will be the first to blame Trump for the upcoming market correction.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: November 30, 2017, 06:12:37 PM »
There's a big market correction coming? Please PM me the details.  :Wha:

And for what it's worth, I don't think presidents have much impact on the economy at large. But I also think markets are sometimes driven by investor confidence not necessarily tethered to actual economic strength. And we're seeing a huge boost in confidence (and my 401k and other investments).
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: November 30, 2017, 06:13:21 PM »
1 trillion to the debt but at least ksuw can now get Jr that new soccer uni.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: November 30, 2017, 06:17:03 PM »
1 trillion to the debt but at least ksuw can now get Jr that new soccer uni.

Posts like this are so incredibly butthurt. Sad. Liberals are apoplectic that high wage earners might get a little less soaked if this passes. So envious that they cant even be happy getting a likely tax cut of their own.

Adding $1 trillion (maybe) evil. Adding $10 tril under Obama. :whistles:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: November 30, 2017, 06:26:21 PM »
The point of two political and economic mindsets is to balance out the other side...hard for one side to complain about adding to debt if they want to do the exact same.

But playing the us vs them card is your thing..but you keep assuming that people raising criticism of this plan aren't big wager earners...I mean we are all :kstategrad: remember.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: November 30, 2017, 06:43:35 PM »
Investors were pretty damn confident in 2007 when there were few regulations. I’d pump the brakes if I were you KSUW.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: November 30, 2017, 07:50:59 PM »

And for what it's worth, I don't think presidents have much impact on the economy at large. But I also think markets are sometimes driven by investor confidence not necessarily tethered to actual economic strength. And we're seeing a huge boost in confidence (and my 401k and other investments).

Boosts in confidence that are not tethered to actual economic strength are why big market corrections happen.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: November 30, 2017, 07:53:39 PM »

Boosts in confidence that are not tethered to actual economic strength are why big market corrections happen.

Impeachment too

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: November 30, 2017, 10:04:33 PM »

i'd like to be there when ksu-w figures out that the market going up costs him money.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: November 30, 2017, 10:38:52 PM »
I’ll bite, why will it cost our pal money?
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: November 30, 2017, 11:00:24 PM »
he's not as old as you'd think.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: December 01, 2017, 12:16:52 AM »
Oh ok, I want to be there too
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: December 01, 2017, 08:17:21 AM »
Right now would be a decent time for a market correction for myself.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: December 01, 2017, 09:00:17 AM »
Raising my own retirement age to own the libs!  :Woot:  :Woot:

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: December 01, 2017, 09:07:49 AM »

i'd like to be there when ksu-w figures out that the market going up costs him money.

You say a lot of dumb things, but this is one of the dumbest. First, I invest when markets are going up. I invest when markets are going down. I just invest slow and steady. It's called dollar cost averaging. And in the long term, it pays off. Second, I invest for short term (dream fund), medium term (college savings), and long term (retirement) goals, so hoping for a market correction at any particular time frame is a mixed bag at best.

I know you guys are extremely butthurt about the possibility of allowing most people, and especially many of the highest federally taxed people, to keep more of their money (still not a sure thing), but you're really behaving like jerks. Go hop in the tub with Chum over in the Russia thread for a while. Sheesh.