Author Topic: Taxes (GOP 2017 edition)  (Read 137824 times)

Offline hjfklmor

• Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Taxes (GOP 2017 edition)
« Reply #400 on: November 15, 2017, 03:31:52 PM »
This chart!  :love:

https://twitter.com/josephlawler/status/930884532043223041

The best part is that Wyden has left that chart up behind him for the remainder of the session.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: November 15, 2017, 04:04:29 PM »
To me, the best part is the irony. The Senate GOP decided to make the personal cuts temporary in order to fit the bill within procedural rules that allow passage by a simple majority. So, if not for the Democrats' threat of filibuster, they could have made the tax cuts permanent.

Why are the Dems so opposed to letting people keep more of their own money?
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline hjfklmor

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 15, 2017, 04:14:57 PM »
To me, the best part is the irony. The Senate GOP decided to make the personal cuts temporary in order to fit the bill within procedural rules that allow passage by a simple majority. So, if not for the Democrats' threat of filibuster, they could have made the tax cuts permanent.

The personal cuts are essentially permanent and everyone knows it. They've even outright said on the record that no one is going to let them expire. It's maneuvering by both sides - the Democrats are using it to gin up bad PR and the Republicans are using it to skirt the reconciliation rules. Don't play dumb.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 15, 2017, 04:40:55 PM »

The personal cuts are essentially permanent and everyone knows it. They've even outright said on the record that no one is going to let them expire. It's maneuvering by both sides - the Democrats are using it to gin up bad PR and the Republicans are using it to skirt the reconciliation rules. Don't play dumb.

Not playing dumb. I agree with you. The Pubs are being surprisingly competent this time around from a political standpoint. Or maybe it's just that the Dems are in a tough spot because people like keeping more of their money, and it's hard to pretend to be deficit hawks after doubling the national debt under Obama. All they've got is the tired old "tax cuts for the rich" class warfare. If you're already paying a crap ton in taxes, chances are you're going to get a bigger break than if you weren't paying much to begin with. But the vast majority of people are going to get to keep more of their money. So the Dems figure their only chance to stop this is to stoke resentment about who is getting a bigger slice of cheese. Let's all just have some cheese, please.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 15, 2017, 08:38:02 PM »
The republicans might not have the votes in the senate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: November 15, 2017, 08:46:20 PM »
The republicans might not have the votes in the senate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Convince them otherwise...

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: November 15, 2017, 10:06:17 PM »
Unlikely to pass already, cutting the individual mandate will officially kill this turd

Nope, senate trying to piggy back a bill that makes Obamacare subsidies law (the illegal ones Trump got rid of) so it may pass and be gross.
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: November 16, 2017, 09:41:44 AM »

Why not make the corporate cuts temporary instead? That would seem to be a better PR move for dumb voters.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: November 16, 2017, 02:22:06 PM »

Why not make the corporate cuts temporary instead? That would seem to be a better PR move for dumb voters.

It would be better for PR but not as a matter of policy. Pubs want this tax reform to jolt the economy. Temporary corporate cuts tempers the economic impact of the cuts. So if you've gotta make one temporary to use procedural rules to get around the Dems' filibuster, you go with the personal cuts. Wouldn't it be awesome if enough Dems would choose not to filibuster and we could just make them both "permanent?" Lol, I know that's asking waaaay too much. Politics and stuff.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 16, 2017, 03:14:34 PM »

It would be better for PR but not as a matter of policy. Pubs want this tax reform to jolt the economy. Temporary corporate cuts tempers the economic impact of the cuts. So if you've gotta make one temporary to use procedural rules to get around the Dems' filibuster, you go with the personal cuts. Wouldn't it be awesome if enough Dems would choose not to filibuster and we could just make them both "permanent?" Lol, I know that's asking waaaay too much. Politics and stuff.
I guess if you buy into that voodoo then it's a good point.

Come with a plan that doesn't add to the debt then I bet you'd get some votes from across the isle.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 16, 2017, 03:26:24 PM »

Come with a plan that doesn't add to the debt then I bet you'd get some votes from across the isle.

:lol: Yes, that's the objection of all those Democrats! They're just too fiscally conservative!! :lol:

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: November 16, 2017, 03:33:29 PM »
Owning libs by adding to the debt.  :cool:

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: November 16, 2017, 03:36:04 PM »
Also owning libs by increasing their own health insurance premiums  :gocho:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: November 16, 2017, 04:19:53 PM »

Yes, that's the objection of all those Democrats! They're just too fiscally conservative!!
They need you guys to balance them out...not make the problem worse....

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: November 16, 2017, 04:28:56 PM »
:adios:

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: November 17, 2017, 10:20:11 AM »
So in other words, she's a yes. :Woot:

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: November 17, 2017, 10:32:39 AM »

In other words, the Obamacare subsidies that were not law, are now going to be law and I fear the amounts of these subsidies will experience explosive growth.  I think this might be a poison pill, I don’t think tax reform is worth this trade-off.  Essentially the ACA gets stronger than before Trump was elected?
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 17, 2017, 10:37:00 AM »

In other words, the Obamacare subsidies that were not law, are now going to be law and I fear the amounts of these subsidies will experience explosive growth.  I think this might be a poison pill, I don’t think tax reform is worth this trade-off.  Essentially the ACA gets stronger than before Trump was elected?

Meh - Obamacare is dying anyway. The subsidies weren't saving it when they were illegally being handed out, and they won't now. Killing the individual mandate will cause even more people to exit the exchanges. Granted, the subsidies will add to the "cost" of the tax bill - but not under the Senate's arcane procedural rules because it will be separate legislation.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Taxes (GOP 2017 edition)
« Reply #420 on: November 17, 2017, 10:46:28 AM »
Weird how excited Republicans are about putting this country in debt. Vote to increase military spending, vote to decrease government revenue from corporate taxes, vote to expand subsidies for Obamacare.

It’s like all they wanna do is spend my money.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: November 17, 2017, 10:49:59 AM »
Weird how excited Republicans are about putting this country in debt. Vote to increase military spending, vote to decrease government revenue from corporate taxes, vote to expand subsidies for Obamacare.

we'll care again when a Dem is in office

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: November 17, 2017, 01:13:56 PM »

we'll care again when a Dem is in office

And blame them for trying to dig the car out of the ditch the pubs drove into
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: November 17, 2017, 01:25:12 PM »

So for what it's worth, I haven't forgotten about our spending problem. I just have never believed you can tax yourself out of our spending problem. And I'm sure as hell not going to support my family continuing to be taxed out the ass to support our spending problem. And I also subscribe to the "voodoo" that tax cuts can at least partially pay for themselves by boosting economic growth.

So if you think fiscal conservatives are being hypocritical for supporting tax cuts, you're oversimplifying.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: November 17, 2017, 01:30:05 PM »
I'm a fiscal conservative and registered republican. I want taxes cut. I want spending cut. I want the deficit reduced. I don't like this plan because it doesn't do any of those things.