Author Topic: Sky's the Limit  (Read 79993 times)

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Sky's the Limit
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2017, 09:06:42 AM »
Sky should transfer if he doesn't want to have multiple shoulder surgeries. If he is here next year he will start but in this type of offense he has no long term future. Our offense is total bullshit for a QB. If I was a parent there is no way in he'll I would let my kid come to KSU to play QB.

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2017, 09:24:45 AM »
Delton should play until he gets hurt. He just gave us our best offensive performance of the season against a top 10 team. I like Ertz, but he's injured. He also only led us to 7 points against Vanderbilt, VANDERBILT when he was healthy. Ertz should be our #3 option right now.
good work here

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2017, 09:37:20 AM »
Sky should transfer if he doesn't want to have multiple shoulder surgeries. If he is here next year he will start but in this type of offense he has no long term future. Our offense is total bullshit for a QB. If I was a parent there is no way in he'll I would let my kid come to KSU to play QB.

OU and UT run their QB's into the ground. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2017, 10:08:27 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if he does transfer.  He is about to watch Ertz go back in as our starting QB a week after Delton put up the best game of K-State's season for a QB.  He might be thinking no matter how good he is, he won't see playing time until he knows the playbook better than the other QB's on the roster.  This has been the Snyder 2.0 mentality.  Play the guys that know the playbook the most, even if not as talented.

Or Ertz is the better quarterback

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 24, 2017, 10:12:12 AM »

Don't know about OU but UT certainly does. I can't remember the last time an OU qb missed playing time with an injury.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2017, 10:13:09 AM »
I'm sure there has been one or two cases of our coaches "missing" on a player that is a gamer and perhaps would/could perform better than the guy(s) ahead of him on the depth chart. However, after watching hours and hours of practice, plus work ethic in offseason/summer conditioning , plus "voluntary" workouts, 99% of the time coaches have a pretty good idea of who can play and who can't.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2017, 10:14:10 AM »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2017, 10:19:00 AM »
I'm sure there has been one or two cases of our coaches "missing" on a player that is a gamer and perhaps would/could perform better than the guy(s) ahead of him on the depth chart. However, after watching hours and hours of practice, plus work ethic in offseason/summer conditioning , plus "voluntary" workouts, 99% of the time coaches have a pretty good idea of who can play and who can't.

Agreed, but fans are gonna fan. Collin Klein was either the third or fourth string QB in '09, he got better in the system, then he played. Although it is worth noting that they completely changed the offense for him but they aren't doing that for any of these quarterbacks.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2017, 10:19:51 AM »
yeah, tv was talking about him being pretty banged up.

def didn't move around as much.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2017, 10:23:47 AM »

Agreed, but fans are gonna fan. Collin Klein was either the third or fourth string QB in '09, he got better in the system, then he played. Although it is worth noting that they completely changed the offense for him but they aren't doing that for any of these quarterbacks.

I think they envisioned Ertz being Klein part 2. They definitely made changes in the offense for the Waters-Lockett years and I think they went back to the Klein system and Delton is doing much of the same. That's also possibly why Delton is getting the nod over Thompson, more experience plus a better skill set to fit the offensive system they already have in place. With knowing at some point Ertz will be back, that makes some sense as well rather than changing the system more to fit Thompson's skills.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 24, 2017, 11:59:10 AM »
Klein probably should have played more as a sophomore over queso

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 24, 2017, 12:04:28 PM »

Don't know about OU but UT certainly does. I can't remember the last time an OU qb missed playing time with an injury.

Mayfield ran all over the place on saturday.  Basically if they needed a first he'd take the snap and go.

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 24, 2017, 12:36:54 PM »

I think they envisioned Ertz being Klein part 2. They definitely made changes in the offense for the Waters-Lockett years and I think they went back to the Klein system and Delton is doing much of the same. That's also possibly why Delton is getting the nod over Thompson, more experience plus a better skill set to fit the offensive system they already have in place. With knowing at some point Ertz will be back, that makes some sense as well rather than changing the system more to fit Thompson's skills.

that's a really fair point, but i also think our staff and system should be flexible enough that even in season we can throw someone else in there and make it viable. i mean, kody rough ridin' cook led us on some pretty good drives in 2015. you can't tell me we can't come up with a package on the fly that makes thompson at least competent in game action. but, again, delton played well. props to him and the coaches for coming up with something that kept us competitive against a very good ou team.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 24, 2017, 12:46:33 PM »
Klein probably should have played more as a sophomore over queso

Yes, this would be a legitimate gripe IMO.  Klein dominated in his first start.  Then we did this weird QB shuffle against North Texas and every time Klein was in he did better, so I had no idea why Klein did not play in our bowl game that year.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2017, 12:46:47 PM »
If Delton hadn't followed a pretty bad outing vs TCU with a very good one vs OU, I'd be all for Thompson at this point. However, given that Delton also played well vs UT when he went in, I'm confident he's earned the #2 spot and should play if Ertz's knee is still a problem.

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2017, 01:05:03 PM »
If Delton hadn't followed a pretty bad outing vs TCU with a very good one vs OU, I'd be all for Thompson at this point. However, given that Delton also played well vs UT when he went in, I'm confident he's earned the #2 spot and should play if Ertz's knee is still a problem.

yeah, that's fair. it's not like he's gonna be less confident going forward now he just scored 5 td's on ou. he knows he can hang after that. so i expect him to continue to figure it out. also, you have to give props to patterson and tcu. that's just one damn salty defense.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2017, 01:06:24 PM »
well he maybe waiting to see who our coach is going to be, i know i would

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2017, 01:09:48 PM »
also, you have to give props to patterson and tcu. that's just one damn salty defense.

Definitely.

It will be interesting to see if ISU's defense continues to put up the numbers they have so far against Big 12 competition. They didn't suddenly get a lot more talented, but Campbell is doing something right this year.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2017, 01:28:05 PM »
Ertz has no business starting another game as KSU's QB, IMO.  He's a banged up lame duck QB in the midst of a season where we're just hoping for a bowl game.  Delton has played as good, if not better, than Ertz this year, and he'll have eligibility next year.  He also doesn't appear to be as prone to injury as Ertz is at the moment.

If it were up to me, Delton plays the rest of the season with Thompson hopefully getting plenty of time against KU this week.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2017, 02:09:37 PM »
agree with Dlew

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2017, 02:41:03 PM »
Since we have no chance to do anything meaningful this season, I’m on board with this, although I still think Sky has the higher ceiling and should be starting for the same reasons.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2017, 04:20:02 PM »
Ertz has no business starting another game as KSU's QB, IMO.  He's a banged up lame duck QB in the midst of a season where we're just hoping for a bowl game.  Delton has played as good, if not better, than Ertz this year, and he'll have eligibility next year.  He also doesn't appear to be as prone to injury as Ertz is at the moment.

If it were up to me, Delton plays the rest of the season with Thompson hopefully getting plenty of time against KU this week.

Agreed. Ertz is the most pedrstrian QB we've had since Brian Kavanaugh. He can't pass, he's slow as eff, and now he's unwilling to take contact to get first down yardage. It's rough ridin' criminal that he'd be allowed back out there over Delton
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 24, 2017, 04:28:33 PM »

Mayfield ran all over the place on saturday.  Basically if they needed a first he'd take the snap and go.

That's unique to Mayfield though, he's a scrambler, that isn't their offense. They aren't crashing him into line 20 times a game like we do. They aren't making fullbacks ram into his back. Mike and Ell didn't get hurt because we didn't run them that way either. Lbeaz didn't get hurt because he was a Sherman Tank.

Offline TheTruth

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 24, 2017, 06:08:37 PM »
Since we have no chance to do anything meaningful this season, I’m on board with this, although I still think Sky has the higher ceiling and should be starting for the same reasons.

This. Thompson has the broader skill set (can run and can make every throw) and a higher ceiling. Now that Ertz is out, not playing Thompson at all makes no sense. And he has been on campus for what, almost two years now? He knows enough to freakin' play.

Offline Pett

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • KLI GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 24, 2017, 06:38:40 PM »
why would he transfer? this season was always about ertz