Author Topic: Central Arky Thoughts  (Read 14123 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Central Arky Thoughts
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2017, 07:13:09 PM »
Thanks for this recap. Could not watch. Thought I'd get it on directv but guess not.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2017, 07:35:53 PM »
Thanks for this recap. Could not watch. Thought I'd get it on directv but guess not.
Not even on the app or your laptop to cast to your television?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2017, 07:52:55 PM »
Did not try that. I tried to find it on my dvr and it came up in the guide but wouldn't let me view it. Maybe that was the problem - it was some sort of online only thing. I wonder if I can rewatch it.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2017, 08:09:29 PM »
Should be a replay on espn3. I'll check

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2017, 08:10:17 PM »
Enjoy

Offline halfEmpty

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2017, 09:29:34 PM »
Or just look for previous games.  Don't know how long they keep them, but I just watched it this morning on demand

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2017, 10:35:26 PM »
This is kinda weird, but my absolute favorite play of the game was the second kickoff that we received. We know what happened on the first, Pringles catches the ball and Reed just completely destroyed the first player down for UCA. The kid literally looked like he hit a wall and this was after DJamer ran a kick back 95 yards. You guys know how much I love Sisco, he's going to supplant Darren as my favorite ever, but DJamer is probably the best player on the team and might be the best in the conference.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2017, 11:17:32 PM »
yeah, DJamer is going to be as good as any player we've ever had and he'll probably be a better pro than we've had. i think he's amazing and i bet he has 5 or 6 more games like the one he had last night.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2017, 12:59:49 AM »
I'm really happy about having a placekicker that can consistently get a kickoff into the end zone.

Yes. Definitely a welcome change.

I always thought that we were going for trying to get the other team to return the ball to less than the 25 yard line, hence why we always kicked it to like the 1. I mean it's fine but I always assumed we were trying to win a few yards on KO.

I believe that take is correct.  We have had kickers (not always the primary) that can kick it into the end zone.  However, the goal has tended to be get it about the 2, toward a sideline, then tackle them so they face a longer field.  I even remember Snyder being angry when kickers screw it up and put it in the end zone.

Maybe the approach is being adjusted this year.

I guess it just really felt like the last few years our opponents starting field position after kickoffs was beyond the 25 more often than not, and a lot of balls being caught around the 10. Maybe _Fan has a stat.

Offline WildcatPower

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2017, 01:56:31 AM »
Starting lb's made some plays, but you can clearly see they lack the athleticism of those backing them up.  I think you'll be seeing the 2's more as the season progresses.

That's pretty much my only legitimate concern about this defense was the two LB's in Tanking and Davis.  Both are solid LB'ers, but they cannot go east and west very well, which was evident on those speed options Central Arky was running.  They had success nailing the spots near the tackles and out to the sidelines, because the LB's were getting sealed off.

Granted, not many Big 12 teams do run speed options, but I can see them doing some variations of this type of plays against K-State, assuming Tanking and Davis continues to be the starters.

And Sullivan should be getting more playing time with the ones (over Tanking or Davis), because he was flying like a scud missile.

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2017, 09:28:30 PM »
Starting lb's made some plays, but you can clearly see they lack the athleticism of those backing them up.  I think you'll be seeing the 2's more as the season progresses.

That's pretty much my only legitimate concern about this defense was the two LB's in Tanking and Davis.  Both are solid LB'ers, but they cannot go east and west very well, which was evident on those speed options Central Arky was running.  They had success nailing the spots near the tackles and out to the sidelines, because the LB's were getting sealed off.

Granted, not many Big 12 teams do run speed options, but I can see them doing some variations of this type of plays against K-State, assuming Tanking and Davis continues to be the starters.

And Sullivan should be getting more playing time with the ones (over Tanking or Davis), because he was flying like a scud missile.
Yeah,been saying that too. It was a bit concerning not being able to stop the option.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Luke's stock is rising as Winters continues to validate his greatness. Add Luke and Winters to my list! Also, EMAWBLAST! and Tobias!

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2017, 10:01:35 PM »
Great observation KK, Snyder made the Defense stay late because our triple option defense was subpar. My roommate and I drove by at midnight and the defense was at the stadium practicing the triple option just like Bill said in the post game presser

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Did you visually confirm this?

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2017, 12:52:18 AM »
Great observation KK, Snyder made the Defense stay late because our triple option defense was subpar. My roommate and I drove by at midnight and the defense was at the stadium practicing the triple option just like Bill said in the post game presser

Yes I did we walked up to the gates

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2017, 12:53:29 AM »

Yes I did we walked up to the gates

Pics? Video?

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2017, 12:58:18 AM »
Had a video but was on snapchat

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2017, 12:58:31 AM »
#millenialproblems

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2017, 09:45:03 AM »
that was the most fun I've had watching a game against a crap noncon team in a long time

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2017, 09:47:28 AM »

I thought it was just a brain fart, but then you went on to say Davis like 37 times. lolwut.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Central Arky Thoughts
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2017, 09:49:09 AM »
Pro Tip:  Coachin 'm up (LB) isn't going to fully resolve the issue.

Put that up there with opening up the playbook

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2017, 09:52:55 AM »
Really wish Patton would get some time in these low pressure non-con.

Would assume we run more of a 4-2-5 through most of confy play? And I guess I feel like Patton and Sullivan are the best LB's for that (solely based off what I've heard about athleticism in practice/etc., but no game performance to confirm that obvi).

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2017, 10:34:04 AM »
Pro Tip:  Coachin 'm up (LB) isn't going to fully resolve the issue.

Put that up there with opening up the playbook

I agree, we need speed on the field.

However, some of the issues with speed option were scheme/assignment and not speed. We often just didn't have anyone for pitch which is kind of crazy.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2017, 10:57:04 AM »
Agree that Sullivan needs to be on the field.  Thompson and Warmack also looked good with the 2s.  I was surprised by Thompson's speed but I wonder if his running style will change after his first shoulder surgery.  Reed looked like a man amongst boys out there although I was a little disappointed he was caught from behind on the kick.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2017, 11:12:40 AM »
Agree that Sullivan needs to be on the field.  Thompson and Warmack also looked good with the 2s.  I was surprised by Thompson's speed but I wonder if his running style will change after his first shoulder surgery.  Reed looked like a man amongst boys out there although I was a little disappointed he was caught from behind on the kick.

That guy that caught him (George Odum, #31) is really fast, and he plays outside LB. He has to be one of the fastest OLBs in the country. I read somewhere that he has 4.3 speed.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2017, 12:38:39 PM »
And then Snyder says they plan to red-shirt Patton. Awesome.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2017, 12:54:17 PM »

That guy that caught him (George Odum, #31) is really fast, and he plays outside LB. He has to be one of the fastest OLBs in the country. I read somewhere that he has 4.3 speed.

I feel a little better now.  Thanks _FAN!