Author Topic: 2017 Other Games Thread  (Read 99778 times)

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
Re: 2017 Other Games Thread
« Reply #1050 on: January 05, 2018, 11:26:13 AM »
if you get rid of at-larges then OOC becomes 100% completely meaningless. 
Right.  That's why I like 8.  Having a tough OOC becomes insurance against dropping an conference game to a team you think you should beat.  It helped OSU last year and OU this year.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: January 05, 2018, 03:00:54 PM »
I think a lot of the concerns about a 16 team playoff could be addressed by just shortening the season by 1 or 2 games.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: January 05, 2018, 03:07:49 PM »
I think a lot of the concerns about a 16 team playoff could be addressed by just shortening the season by 1 or 2 games.

No one is giving money back

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: January 05, 2018, 03:11:12 PM »

then a majority of the teams like my cats only play 10 games, get lost

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: January 05, 2018, 03:56:24 PM »
Right.  That's why I like 8.  Having a tough OOC becomes insurance against dropping an conference game to a team you think you should beat.  It helped OSU last year and OU this year.

Yup, and I am right there. Also on #teamnomorethan8. It ends up being the best of all worlds. No bitching about P5 Confy Champs getting left out, and winning your conference means something. No bitching about the G5 not having at least 1 guaranteed spot, and no bitching from schools who have a WTF game they shouldn't have lost, or lost a tight game to another really good team. Essentially you have a mulligan, and as chings points out, it still makes the OOC matter, since it can put you in over other potentially worthy schools. Anything beyond 8 ends up becoming unwieldy and you serious have to consider dropping at least 1 OOC game. 
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: January 06, 2018, 09:16:19 AM »
2017 UCF Sagarin SOS: #72.

2007 KU Sagarin SOS: #74

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: January 06, 2018, 10:47:52 AM »

:love:

Offline everyone shut up

• Katpak'r
  • “On paper, we feel good.”
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: January 06, 2018, 01:47:15 PM »
KU should hang a natty banner

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: January 06, 2018, 01:47:21 PM »
Watching future K-State football coach Chris Klieman on the Deuce right now.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: January 06, 2018, 02:05:14 PM »
3 minute left, up by 4, opponent punting near midfield.... why wouldn't you just leave your defense on the field? Wow to giving up that fake punt...

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: January 06, 2018, 02:18:42 PM »
3 minute left, up by 4, opponent punting near midfield.... why wouldn't you just leave your defense on the field? Wow to giving up that fake punt...

Yup, couple head scratchers in this one.

6 seconds left in the first half, 1st down with the ball at the 3, JMU kicks a field goal instead of at least throwing a fade or slant. Ended up losing by the 4 points that a TD there could've got them.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: January 06, 2018, 05:15:15 PM »

So are you thinking KU wouldn’t have a claim to the Natty had they gone undefeated?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: January 06, 2018, 06:26:31 PM »

So are you thinking KU wouldn’t have a claim to the Natty had they gone undefeated?

:dubious:
Why would they have to go undefeated? They had one loss, the national champion had 2. I'm sure you all would have been 100% cool and supportive if KU decided to award themselves a national title because they finished as the highest ranked team with the fewest amount of losses. I mean after all, the system didn't allow them the same opportunity as LSU, they should hang a banner.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: January 06, 2018, 06:43:11 PM »
An undefeated ku would not be left out of a 2 team championship that year.

An undefeated ucf was left out of a 4 team championship.

There is zero comparison
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: January 06, 2018, 07:22:19 PM »
The only difference I see is that UCF was bold enough to claim their title like any big time football program would and KU was just too small timey to do the same.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: January 06, 2018, 08:06:35 PM »

KU's sos would have taken another hit had they beaten mizzou

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: January 06, 2018, 08:59:45 PM »
An undefeated ku would not be left out of a 2 team championship that year.

An undefeated ucf was left out of a 4 team championship.

There is zero comparison

I'm not arguing otherwise.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: January 06, 2018, 09:19:22 PM »

KU's sos would have taken another hit had they beaten mizzou

ou would compensate
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: January 06, 2018, 10:56:56 PM »
The only difference I see is that UCF was bold enough to claim their title like any big time football program would and KU was just too small timey to do the same.

You could find a team that has a legit gripe about not getting an equitable opportunity to play for a national championship literally every year, it's the nature of college football.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: January 07, 2018, 10:14:26 AM »

You could find a team that has a legit gripe about not getting an equitable opportunity to play for a national championship literally every year, it's the nature of college football.

The equitable opportunity to me is the opportunity to go undefeated.  Once you lose, you've given the committee an opportunity to compare your mortality to other teams and make choices.  Teams can complain about deserving to be in with losses, and maybe they're right, but they put themselves in the position to be left out.  UCF did everything they could and still didn't get their chance.  If I were them, I would also build a trophy just a little bit bigger than the real one.

Offline Ihaveteeth

• Coal Grab'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: January 07, 2018, 10:40:28 AM »

I think we would get a lot more marquee OOC games that way. They would still be very important for seeding, but a loss wouldn't hurt all that much. They would also still count toward bowl eligibility.
What makes you think that?  You will get the biggest bunch of turds ever in that scenario.  Unless you love NFL preseason games, this is a terrible idea.

Offline Ihaveteeth

• Coal Grab'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: January 07, 2018, 10:45:33 AM »

The equitable opportunity to me is the opportunity to go undefeated.  Once you lose, you've given the committee an opportunity to compare your mortality to other teams and make choices.  Teams can complain about deserving to be in with losses, and maybe they're right, but they put themselves in the position to be left out.  UCF did everything they could and still didn't get their chance.  If I were them, I would also build a trophy just a little bit bigger than the real one.
The real solution is to move the P5 teams into their own division.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: January 07, 2018, 11:23:53 AM »

The real solution is to move the P5 teams into their own division.

No thanks

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: January 07, 2018, 11:52:21 AM »

The thing that makes the argument about the first four out during bball season meaningless is this: not one single team has a legitimate gripe.  EVER.  The national tournament starts for every team the first day of their conference tournament.  Every team has the same chance to win it all.

That's why fball needs to go to conference champions.  Again, there would be no LEGITIMATE gripe.  The national playoff would start the first day of your conference schedule.  Win and you're in....that simple.   It would make OOC games meaningless which would incentivize teams to schedule up to prepare for their conference. 

Offline Ihaveteeth

• Coal Grab'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: January 07, 2018, 01:36:22 PM »

The thing that makes the argument about the first four out during bball season meaningless is this: not one single team has a legitimate gripe.  EVER.  The national tournament starts for every team the first day of their conference tournament.  Every team has the same chance to win it all.

That's why fball needs to go to conference champions.  Again, there would be no LEGITIMATE gripe.  The national playoff would start the first day of your conference schedule.  Win and you're in....that simple.   It would make OOC games meaningless which would incentivize teams to schedule up to prepare for their conference.
Teams wouldn't schedule up.  They'd treat them like NFL preseason games, schedule patsies, and sit their starters.