Author Topic: Bobby Knight  (Read 8922 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Bobby Knight
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2023, 12:00:56 PM »
He was an unethical hunter, and an bad person and a bully to people who called him out for being an unethical hunter.

His whole deal devolved from being a tough coach with a fiery temper into just being a jerk and a bully.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2023, 12:06:30 PM »
Like a poacher? Hadn't heard that one, deets?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2023, 12:15:57 PM »
Like a poacher? Hadn't heard that one, deets?

There's stories of people who hunted with and/or guided Knight and said he didn't buy licenses, didn't adhere to bag limits.  He "accidentally" shot a dude while out grouse hunting.  There's incidents in Lubbock of him out dove hunting too close to people's houses and he put some bird pellets into a couple of people.  One accepted his apology that he swung too far on a bird and peppered her place and her livestock from a distance, no real harm.  Another dude said that either Knight or a companion intentionally peppered him with bird shot when the dude told them to get the hell away from his house while they were hunting dove.

The peppering people with pellets stories did happen, and he was cited and fined for the grouse hunting incident.  The other stories about no licenses, not adhering to bag limits are more anecdotal.  He would also get pissy if he thought someone fired on "his bird" left a dude behind in South Dakota because he thought the dude shot "his" rooster.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1999-oct-22-sp-25153-story.html

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2023, 01:02:15 PM »
Jesus

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2023, 01:37:59 PM »
The dick cheney of basketball coaches
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2023, 12:03:35 PM »
How great of a man do you have to be before it doesn't matter if you are a good man?

If you are that great, why can't you also be good?  Seems like someone who is nearly always the smartest in the room would understand how to inflict your leadership on others without abuse.  Seems like that is what an actual great man should be.

He used people as his tools.  The tools that behaved, were useful to their full extent, and also benefited all seem to like him.  That is a filter system if there ever was one. 

Being abusive doesn't mean you are abusive in everything or care about other interests.  He held futures in his hands.  Futures that would be much harder to actualize if someone decided not to take the abuse.  There is a selection bias in listening to those who were successful in spite of the abuse. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2023, 01:10:29 PM »
How great of a man do you have to be before it doesn't matter if you are a good man?

If you are that great, why can't you also be good?  Seems like someone who is nearly always the smartest in the room would understand how to inflict your leadership on others without abuse.  Seems like that is what an actual great man should be.

He used people as his tools.  The tools that behaved, were useful to their full extent, and also benefited all seem to like him.  That is a filter system if there ever was one. 

Being abusive doesn't mean you are abusive in everything or care about other interests.  He held futures in his hands.  Futures that would be much harder to actualize if someone decided not to take the abuse.  There is a selection bias in listening to those who were successful in spite of the abuse.
hey Nostradamus, take it down a notch

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2023, 01:10:40 PM »

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2023, 01:30:26 PM »

I found it to be a thoughtful exposition?

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2023, 01:49:07 PM »

A lot of good insight in here. Applies to abuse and abusive behavior in a lot of contexts.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2023, 02:27:55 PM »

I found it to be a thoughtful exposition?
it was only a suggestion

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2023, 02:44:49 PM »
Bobby Knight always gets me. 

I had a Bobby Knight in HS.  That guy was a big antimentor for me.  A sneaky one.  Probably in the same way as Bobby, at least that is what I get from what a lot of what I have read from those who knew Bobby and considered him good.   

eff that guy.