Author Topic: Bernie and fellow hate heathens trying to keep Christians out of government  (Read 13514 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Cam, the 1st amendment is about the gov not making any church or religion the official state religion. It means you can't force people to tithe or endorse one faith or another in order to hold office. Its also about the protection of worshipers of either Jesus or Alah or whomever can do so without government interference. It doesn't mean that if you hold the belief that one faith is more true than another then you cannot serve on as a public figure. That's where Sanders was treading on thin ice. He essentially said "your religion, do you believe it to be more true than others?" and if the answer was yes then he was going to go after him a bit.

Do you want a representative that believes (contrary to the constitution) that one person is inferior to another based solely on religious belief?

The "thin ice" is when you legislate legal discrimination under the guise of "religious liberty"

of course not. I'm not sure where you're getting the word inferior from. If the conclusion that someone made was "my religion is more true, therefore other people are not due the the same rights etc. I am" then I would not want that person to serve.

I mean, this all started because the guy was arguing that a woman was justifiably fired solely because of her religious beliefs.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
michigancat i have no idea what you're referring to

Offline camKSU

• SLTH
  • Combo-Fan
  • That's just like, your opinion, man
    • View Profile
Cam, the 1st amendment is about the gov not making any church or religion the official state religion. It means you can't force people to tithe or endorse one faith or another in order to hold office. Its also about the protection of worshipers of either Jesus or Alah or whomever can do so without government interference. It doesn't mean that if you hold the belief that one faith is more true than another then you cannot serve on as a public figure. That's where Sanders was treading on thin ice. He essentially said "your religion, do you believe it to be more true than others?" and if the answer was yes then he was going to go after him a bit.

Do you want a representative that believes (contrary to the constitution) that one person is inferior to another based solely on religious belief?

The "thin ice" is when you legislate legal discrimination under the guise of "religious liberty"

See, really rough ridin' juvenile.

someone who makes me uncomfortable.  :Crybaby:

:facepalm:

untuck manhattan

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
pretty pathetic by the bern, imo.

"I think my religion is right.  I think others are wrong." - OMB guy
"Do you think that's respectful of other religions?" - Bernie

uh, what?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
michigancat i have no idea what you're referring to

He's referring to the article below.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/06/10/omb-top-post-nominee-berned-stake-christian-faith/
This is worse than Hillary's deplorable comment about Christians.  Bernie voted against a guy for OMB director because he is a Christian and would not conform his faith to align with political correct that have no God other than Humanism and it's Church of the Government.  Vougt said he treats all people respectfully as required by his faith.  Bernie called him a bigot.

Sanders pointed to an article Vought wrote in January 2016 about Dr. Larycia Hawkins, a political science professor at Wheaton College, Vought’s alma mater, who was placed on administrative leave after wearing a hijab to support Muslims. Hawkins had consulted with the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) prior to donning the hijab. In a Facebook post, she had also suggested that Christians and Muslims worship the same God.

Vought took issue with Hawkins’ post in a piece at the Resurgent, from which Sanders quoted.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 03:43:30 PM by Rage Against the McKee »

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The Hawkins thing? That is a heck of a lot different for like, 1000 reasons.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Care to name a few?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Good thing this country was founded as one nation under God.

Dwight added that to the pledge in the 50s.

Go look at the Declaration then. 

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Care to name a few?

um, Wheaton College is a private school and not a part of the federal government, for starters.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile

of course not. I'm not sure where you're getting the word inferior from. If the conclusion that someone made was "my religion is more true, therefore other people are not due the the same rights etc. I am" then I would not want that person to serve.

I mean, this all started because the guy was arguing that a woman was justifiably fired solely because of her religious beliefs.
The woman fired was a Christian professor at a private, Christian college.  She wore a hijab in the aftermath of the Paris and San Bernadino shootings in an effort to show solidarity with muslims  and suggested that Muslims and Christians worship the same God.  She was apparently placed on leave because of her vague statement on the theological relationship between Christians and Muslims.

In other words, it's not like her employer found out she was a Muslim and fired her for it.  Her employer, a private religious college, disapproved of the message she vaguely sent which apparently contradicted the school's teaching.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Care to name a few?

um, Wheaton College is a private school and not a part of the federal government, for starters.

Wheaton College is allowed to fire her. That doesn't mean that they should or that somebody who supports them firing her should be involved in government.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I mean, you don't have to agree with it, but Wheaton is overtly Christian. Like everything on their website is Jesus this and Christ that and on and on and on

The mission statement of Wheaton College Graduate School is "To form servant scholars and leaders through exceptional graduate programs for Christ and His Kingdom. The vision statement is: God transforming the world through scholars and practitioners rooted in Christ and equipped for global leadership."

You can think they are intolerant, and you can think Hawkins was treated unjustly. I get that viewpoint, but the federal government should be run a little different than a private liberal arts college that is overtly religious.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

The woman fired was a Christian professor at a private, Christian college.  She wore a hijab in the aftermath of the Paris and San Bernadino shootings in an effort to show solidarity with muslims  and suggested that Muslims and Christians worship the same God.  She was apparently placed on leave because of her vague statement on the theological relationship between Christians and Muslims.

In other words, it's not like her employer found out she was a Muslim and fired her for it.  Her employer, a private religious college, disapproved of the message she vaguely sent which apparently contradicted the school's teaching.

So being fired for your religious beliefs is ok as long as your beliefs don't completely match up with the church you belong to?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

the federal government should be run a little different than a private liberal arts college that is overtly religious.

Yeah, that's the point.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I mean, you don't have to agree with it, but Wheaton is overtly Christian. Like everything on their website is Jesus this and Christ that and on and on and on

The mission statement of Wheaton College Graduate School is "To form servant scholars and leaders through exceptional graduate programs for Christ and His Kingdom. The vision statement is: God transforming the world through scholars and practitioners rooted in Christ and equipped for global leadership."

You can think they are intolerant, and you can think Hawkins was treated unjustly. I get that viewpoint, but the federal government should be run a little different than a private liberal arts college that is overtly religious.

If you want the Federal Government run differently than Wheaton College, then it's probably a good idea to not put people who support the way the college is run into the Federal Government positions.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile

So being fired for your religious beliefs is ok as long as your beliefs don't completely match up with the church you belong to?
I think so.  You tell me:

If a Christian College wants to impart upon its students a classic protestant theological education, should the college have to employ a professor who is intent on teaching something other than classic protestant theology?  That makes sense to you?

What if a Christian biology professor at K-State is intent on teaching creationism in his biology class?  And when he's dismissed says "oh okay you're firing me because of my religion?"

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I think so.  You tell me:

If a Christian College wants to impart upon its students a classic protestant theological education, should the college have to employ a professor who is intent on teaching something other than classic protestant theology?  That makes sense to you?

The college hired her to teach political science. If she wants to wear a hijab while teaching the class and reveal that she doesn't agree with all of the school's teaching on her facebook page, I think the school should be ok with that.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Fair enough.

Gonna have to agree to disagree here, Cam.  We see this differently.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
I would definitely have a problem with a biology teacher being fired for wearing a cross and expressing creationism views on a private Facebook account
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 04:11:55 PM by libliblibliblibliblib »
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

the federal government should be run a little different than a private liberal arts college that is overtly religious.

Yeah, that's the point.

Which is why Sanders was out of line

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I would definitely have a problem with a biology teacher being fired for wearing a cross and expressing creationism views on a private Facebook account

I would, but I also wouldn't have a problem with a school seeing creationist posts and choosing not to hire that person to teach biology.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

If you want the Federal Government run differently than Wheaton College, then it's probably a good idea to not put people who support the way the college is run into the Federal Government positions.

You are missing the point

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
but whatevs. Good discussion anyway.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Yeah, that's the point.

Which is why Sanders was out of line

Or, why he hit the nail on the head.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I think condemned to a Christian means burn in hell.