Author Topic: Sandwich  (Read 5076 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Sandwich
« on: May 16, 2010, 12:16:43 AM »
So, I want to pack a turkey/ham/whatevs sandwich for my workday at-my-desk-because-I'm-rough ridin'-busy lunch.  How do I make something like I would buy at Subway/Blimpies/Goodcents/Etc. without it getting soggy?  Lettuce next to bread for 5 hours gets gross.  Is it feasible to separate the ingredients?  Do I just make a meat/bread/cheese sandwich or is there a solution to get delicious toppings/sauces on my sandwich? 

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Sandwich
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 12:26:11 AM »
How big is your office? Maybe you could invest in a mini-fridge for the ingredients? If you have to take the sandwich from home, there is really no getting around the sogginess unless you only use bread, meat, and cheese.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 12:29:11 AM »
Jimmy Johns delivery?  :dunno:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 12:30:29 AM »
How big is your office? Maybe you could invest in a mini-fridge for the ingredients? If you have to take the sandwich from home, there is really no getting around the sogginess unless you only use bread, meat, and cheese.

I have a refrigerator on my floor and pretty much an entire kitchen on the main floor.  However, I don't really leave my desk unless I'm printing something or taking a leak.  I can, but I choose not to.  I need a sandwich that is ready to eat while I'm pretending to listen to some jerkass on the phone while knocking out a letter to another jerkass and BBSing at the same time.  As I type this I'm on a late night conference call with westcoastjerkass.  

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 12:31:28 AM »

Have thought about this, but it requires me to get up and walk down 4 flights of stairs and get it from the delivery guy.  They aren't going to let him past the guard.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 12:34:37 AM »

Have thought about this, but it requires me to get up and walk down 4 flights of stairs and get it from the delivery guy.  They aren't going to let him past the guard.

Thrown in for a 'wich for the guard in exchange for the guard running yours up to you. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 12:35:53 AM »

Thrown in for a 'wich for the guard in exchange for the guard running yours up to you. 

Man, that's plausible.  The guard does look like the kind of person that's into eating sandwiches.  I'll explore this further.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 12:43:29 AM »

Man, that's plausible.  The guard does look like the kind of person that's into eating sandwiches.  I'll explore this further.

If my idea works out, you should probably have a 'wich delivered to me at my office as well as a thank you.  They can give it to the receptionist who'll bring it up to me.  #14.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 12:50:26 AM »
Just talked to the guard.  He said the only way it would work is if I came down and watched the front desk while he brought our two sandwiches up to my desk and he ate his.  Once he was done he would come back down and take over his guard duties and I could go up to my desk where my sandwich was waiting.  Doesn't seem like it's that much better than me just coming to the front desk and getting my sandwich but he seemed to think it had it's advantages.  I dunno.  Maybe I'll keep trying to figure out how to make a quality sandwich to bring with me. 

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 01:07:09 AM »
Fire the guard.  I know you're busy but participate in the new guard interviewing process and make sure that the new hire is going to be able to make this work.  Taking 30 minutes to get your one concern addressed in the interviews will be made up for in no time when you're having delicious JJ's brought right to your desk on demand.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 01:14:42 AM »
Just offer somebody on your floor a sandwich to go down and pick your sandwich up for you.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 01:28:37 AM »
weird thread
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Perry

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 03:48:38 AM »
Couldn't you just keep the lettuce/tomatoes/any other moist ingredients in a ziploc baggy separate from the bread? Seems like it would work ok, especially if you have like an ice pack or something to keep it cool.

Offline ksu1982

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 07:28:27 AM »
Come on people...Bread/meat..other crap you want to add..meat/bread. Keep it between the meat.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 08:05:44 AM »
Come on people...Bread/meat..other crap you want to add..meat/bread. Keep it between the meat.

Solid first post right here folks.  Sounds like problem solved to me.

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2010, 08:10:04 AM »

Solid first post right here folks.  Sounds like problem solved to me.
Thinking the game just changed.

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2010, 08:53:57 AM »
Jimmy John's is terrible.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2010, 09:01:30 AM »
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2010, 09:40:05 AM »

End of thread (f*ck lettuce)

Offline highway61

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2010, 10:24:40 AM »
I thought you watched Alton Brown. Just use mayonaise or miracle whip. The thin layer of fat will keep the bread from getting soggy.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2010, 10:25:31 AM »
I thought you watched Alton Brown. Just use mayonaise or miracle whip. The thin layer of fat will keep the bread from getting soggy.

I don't eat mayo or miracle whip

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2010, 10:34:13 AM »
Buy loaf of French bread.  Hollow the loaf out.  Layer genoa salami, provolone chz, capacuola ham, lettuce, onion, tomato, more lettuce, olive oil, oregano, garlic salt, pepper, another layer of ham, salami and chz. 
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
Buy loaf of French bread.  Hollow the loaf out.  Layer genoa salami, provolone chz, capacuola ham, lettuce, onion, tomato, more lettuce, olive oil, oregano, garlic salt, pepper, another layer of ham, salami and chz. 

:surprised:

Can you do a Triple Lindy?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2010, 01:13:16 PM »
No Mayo!

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2010, 02:42:14 PM »
make the sandwich however you want to make the sandwich. then on the way into work, stop at walmart or target or something and buy one of those machines that people use to dry their hair in the bathroom. then go to work. wait until you are hungry. when you decide that you are hungry, check the sandwich to see if it's soggy. if it's not soggy then go ahead and eat it. you'll like it because you made it the way you wanted to make it, so it should taste really good to you. if it is soggy then just get that machine that you purchase earlier and plug it in and point it at the sandwich until it's not soggy anymore and then eat the sandwich. see previous sandwich like description for more information on whether or not you'll like eating it.