Author Topic: Would Frank and Angel have gone to a Final Four together?  (Read 12658 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Would Frank and Angel have gone to a Final Four together?
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2017, 11:37:07 AM »
I will also say this: there is no reason to think he's going to stay at SC much longer, and we didn't have a great reason to think he would stay in Manhattan this long even with a good working AD relationship.

This is coming from someone who would love to bring Frank back, but I'd also be just as happy appreciating what Frank has done and picking up a new stud coach for ourselves.

SC already took care of him after last year. He's now making 2.5 mil and is extended through 2022. His buyout after this season is nearly 5 mil. I bet he they bump him to around $3 mil for next year after his Final 4 run. He'll be at SC as long as he wants to be and with what looks like a good relationship with his AD that will be a while.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2017, 11:43:55 AM »
Wow. Did not realize those numbers were even in the pay scale of SEC BBall coaches outside of UK. Would be pretty tough to steal but I still see him ending up in Miami.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2017, 11:54:10 AM »
They'll probably finish below 500 in the sec without thornwell next year

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2017, 12:06:50 PM »
Yes, good point steffy. Franks runs into the elite 8 and final four in the last decade at two trash schools involve a lot of luck.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2017, 12:06:59 PM »
You giant dumbass

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2017, 12:07:07 PM »
I will also say this: there is no reason to think he's going to stay at SC much longer, and we didn't have a great reason to think he would stay in Manhattan this long even with a good working AD relationship.

This is coming from someone who would love to bring Frank back, but I'd also be just as happy appreciating what Frank has done and picking up a new stud coach for ourselves.

SC already took care of him after last year. He's now making 2.5 mil and is extended through 2022. His buyout after this season is nearly 5 mil. I bet he they bump him to around $3 mil for next year after his Final 4 run. He'll be at SC as long as he wants to be and with what looks like a good relationship with his AD that will be a while.

It isn't the same AD that hired him btw. I also don't think those numbers are the going rate right now. He probably get a raise to 3 and a buyout bumped up to 8+ after the season.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2017, 12:07:08 PM »
Jk, but seriously

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2017, 01:21:58 PM »
Wow. Did not realize those numbers were even in the pay scale of SEC BBall coaches outside of UK. Would be pretty tough to steal but I still see him ending up in Miami.

Why?  He's 51 years old, has never been a job hopper, his thing is loyalty, and he has a better job. Why can't you assholes just be happy for the dude?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2017, 02:22:47 PM »
I'm not sure who all you're referencing, but I'm totally happy for Frank.

And I don't understand the age reference. Is 51 too old to change jobs or something?

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2017, 02:28:43 PM »
SoCar's current AD is the former baseball coach - having a former coach of a revenue sport is probably the best type of AD for Frank

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2017, 02:35:55 PM »
Also, right now I can't help thinking how many folks on this board a few weeks ago were saying it shouldn't matter whether oscar made the tournament or even won a few games this year because how a coach does in conference is a better indicator of their abilities than winning a few NCAA games.

I guess if you want to overlook Franks F4 run and call it luck here's what he's done in conference since arriving at SC.

4-14
5-13
6-12
11-7
12-6

Looks like an upward tick to me  :dunno:

#trajectory

Offline TheFormerKCCat

• DoD/Early 90s Era EMAWr
  • Combo-Fan
  • Loyal to a fault
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2017, 03:06:01 PM »
I mean, to have any real memories of K-State in the Final 4 you are at least 65 years old.
This makes me very, very sad. Coach Altman mentioned the 'almost' Final Four in '88. That plus the 'almost' Final Four in 2010 are two of my fondest memories of K-State basketball. (and I wasn't even a legitimate 'Cat fan in '88!). Losing Lon and losing Frank are two of my worst K-State basketball memories.

All that said, you have to give Frank some props. He gets his guys to play tough and to love one another. In tight situations where you need to manufacture 'luck,' that's important. I think Frank is firmly at S. Carolina until Larranaga retires and the U comes calling. I hope he wins the whole damn thing this year. Are two more opposite personalities than Roy and Frank?
I'm in it purely for the entertainment value.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2017, 03:28:13 PM »
at this point, miami is not a better job than south carolina.  even for frank.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2017, 03:49:53 PM »
Frank isn't stupid. If someone offers him a lot more money, he'll take it.

Offline TheFormerKCCat

• DoD/Early 90s Era EMAWr
  • Combo-Fan
  • Loyal to a fault
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2017, 03:56:18 PM »
at this point, miami is not a better job than south carolina.  even for frank.
Just imagine if the money was the same. Miami vs. Columbia (advantage Miami: place, family, etc.); would be more of a maintenance and boosting to the next level kind of gig, Frank has proven he can build, maintain and boost (with and without the GRCOAT). Plus there are just intangibles about 'home,' that might appeal to Frank.

In the end, who knows? Maybe Frank is a lifer at USCarolina - unless Duke, Kentucky, Florida, KU (gulp!) or Indiana come calling? No tengo la menor idea. In the mean time, Go Frank!
I'm in it purely for the entertainment value.

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2017, 04:01:45 PM »
Yes, good point steffy. Franks runs into the elite 8 and final four in the last decade at two trash schools involve a lot of luck.

The final four run this year involved a lot of luck, yes.  The run to the Elite 8 with us did not.  Frank is a good coach.

These are three separate concepts that you need to keep separate.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2017, 04:07:41 PM »
I had a good time pak'n and pr flag'n for #teamangel there last year, but it's hard to picture Frank being satisfied w/the hoops atmosphere with what he's accomplished so far.  Their arena holds a little less than 8K, and while we were good walking and drinking to campus, it didn't seem primed for being a miami hotspot even if Frank made them the best team ever.  They officially sell out their tickets, but we got ours for like $10 each on stubhub. 

Frank can probably do better for himself by leveraging what he's done to get the best of all worlds at this big public state school that's in love with him.  Have them fly up his mom and buds and food from wherever he wants for every game, play a home game in the Heat's arena every year, etc.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2017, 04:08:59 PM »
“In the ACC we have some programs that are like the Four Seasons, the Ritz-Carlton,” Larranaga said, according to Canesport. “We’re more like the Delano, that boutique place. A small private school, beautiful location, a great environment, very different than a large state university that has all the bells and whistles, facilities, 20,000 seat arena.”

http://caneswatch.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2016/10/10/miami-hurricanes-basketball-arena-renamed-watsco-center/

Coach L put in terms we'd know from the credit card thread.  :lol:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2017, 04:10:51 PM »

The final four run this year involved a lot of luck, yes.  The run to the Elite 8 with us did not.  Frank is a good coach.

These are three separate concepts that you need to keep separate.

Every final 4 run requires some degree of luck. Even as a 1 seed, the odds of getting there aren't terrific.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2017, 04:47:48 PM »
According to kenpom, Frank actually had a more difficult path to the Final Four this year than he had w/ KSU.

with KSU he beat 175, 10, 18, and lost to 12.

with USCe he beat 31, 13, 14, and 5.

both are really tough runs. By comparison KU this year played 219, 40, 18, and 10.

In KU's last final four (2012(!)) they played 114, 30, 42, and 6 to get there. 2008 they beat 112, 48, 46, and 11

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2017, 05:29:49 PM »
“In the ACC we have some programs that are like the Four Seasons, the Ritz-Carlton,” Larranaga said, according to Canesport. “We’re more like the Delano, that boutique place. A small private school, beautiful location, a great environment, very different than a large state university that has all the bells and whistles, facilities, 20,000 seat arena.”

http://caneswatch.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2016/10/10/miami-hurricanes-basketball-arena-renamed-watsco-center/

Coach L put in terms we'd know from the credit card thread.  :lol:
that is fantastic!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2017, 05:51:26 PM »
I'm not sure who all you're referencing, but I'm totally happy for Frank.

And I don't understand the age reference. Is 51 too old to change jobs or something?

51 is old enough to know he isn't a job hopper

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2017, 06:48:01 PM »
How is that? He's had two 5 year stints as a major coach. I'm not sure what his age has to do with anything.

I'm not saying he is or isn't a job hopper. Just that there is no proof one way or another yet.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2017, 11:56:10 PM »
Pretty much what SdK said.  Frank became valuable in his last 3 years as a KSU head coach and he's been valuable the last couple years at SC.  There simply isn't enough data yet.  Even if he left in the next couple years, I wouldn't call him a job hopper.  It's just leveraging your success at other gigs until you reach your ideal job.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2017, 02:19:27 AM »
Pretty much what SdK said.  Frank became valuable in his last 3 years as a KSU head coach and he's been valuable the last couple years at SC.  There simply isn't enough data yet.  Even if he left in the next couple years, I wouldn't call him a job hopper.  It's just leveraging your success at other gigs until you reach your ideal job.

Leveraging his success to get a worse job, makes sense.