Author Topic: spring practice 17 tidbits, nuggets, and hearsay  (Read 86121 times)

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: spring practice 17 tidbits, nuggets, and hearsay
« Reply #375 on: April 24, 2017, 09:52:58 PM »
We should Delton in for a series in the second quarter of each game where he runs our qb-battering ram set, and bring Thompson in for two minute offense.  There would be many benefits to this.

Are you high?

Sorry MIR, but I am for real.

Step back from your Ertz Heisman campaign, and you'll see it makes some sense.

It really doesn't.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: April 24, 2017, 10:04:06 PM »
We should Delton in for a series in the second quarter of each game where he runs our qb-battering ram set, and bring Thompson in for two minute offense.  There would be many benefits to this.

Are you high?

It wouldn't make sense whomever you plugged in as the starter, it's the dumbest thing you're ever said and that says a ton.

Offline manpow5

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: April 24, 2017, 10:46:11 PM »

Are you high?

We tried the multiple QB thing before... it failed like a fat one-handed guy free scaling the Empire State Building.

It wouldn't make sense whomever you plugged in as the starter, it's the dumbest thing you're ever said and that says a ton.

To EMAW or Not to EMAW

Offline Jackstack99EMAW

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: April 25, 2017, 07:54:37 AM »
I guess i can kind of see steffys logic.  Quit using ertz as a battering rambut i dont know if we will habe that problem with the bruisers we have at running back

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: April 25, 2017, 08:30:18 AM »
the defense will never see it coming, great idea STefFUy

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: April 25, 2017, 08:30:45 AM »
Ertz Number 1
Thompson number 2
Delton number 3

If Delton throws the ball during the season like he did last Saturday prepare to be giving 3 to 4 turnovers a game to the opposition every two weeks because the dude can't throw but he can run.

Could see Bill making him a triple option/wildcat guy but other than that he should probs ride the bench.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: April 25, 2017, 08:33:37 AM »
I see this year more as a running back year as we don't really have to rely as much as ertz simply because we have Mike "manchild" McCoy and Alex Barnes under center. I think we seriously need someone who can throw and just switch running backs when we need to run.

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: April 25, 2017, 08:35:13 AM »
Also wtf was with the train horn after every touchdown. It has to stop guys, I don't want to be TCU

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: April 25, 2017, 09:02:36 AM »
Alright Greg, I've had enough. 

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: April 25, 2017, 09:05:05 AM »
I see this year more as a running back year as we don't really have to rely as much as ertz simply because we have Mike "manchild" McCoy and Alex Barnes under center. I think we seriously need someone who can throw and just switch running backs when we need to run.

We will keep running with the QB. Our running backs are good, but you get an extra blocker with the QB run and I don't see us giving that up.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: April 25, 2017, 09:18:57 AM »

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: April 25, 2017, 01:08:56 PM »

Are you high?

We have three QB's with different skill sets.  My plan would allow us to take advantage of what each brings to the table.

Delton can be great in our QB run game.  So, let's give him a series in the second quarter.  This allows us to continue to run these plays and force opponents to prep for this, all while protecting Ertz (a huge concern).  Allowing Delton to "specialize" as our running QB would also allow him to get better at this (the assembly line/specialization concept).

Unless Ertz comes from surgery 3 times better than he was before, Thompson is a better passer.  Simply put, he has more zip.  Now, of course, Thompson won't be able to make the same reads and decisions that Ertz does.  But, in a two-minute drill, you basically have to throw out 7/8's of your playbook.  The defense knows what you are going to do....much of your success (or not) depends on having a QB who can make the required throws.  And, if Thompson was our #1 for this, he would get #1 reps for the two minute drill in practice, and (like Delton) would improve rapidly at this limited and specialized part of the game.

I will admit this is not conventional, but there are certain things about our situation that distinguish us from the typical situation in which coaches fart around with more than one quarterback.  First, we have dramatically different QB.  Most schools recruit the same type of QB that "fits" their system.  Second, when coaches play more than one QB, those QB are competing against each other to be the starter, which can lead to rifts.  That is not our situation.  Ertz is clearly the guy; captain, team leader, proven winner, etc..  Giving Delton a series and Thompson 0-2 series a game does not threaten that.  In fact, carving our a specific (and important) role for Delton and Thompson to play might have the opposite effect:  They are not "the guy," but they are not discouraged because they have an important role to play nonetheless.  Rather than creating a rift, it might help with buy-in from all of the team.  Third, Ertz has a serious history with injuries.  We have to limit his hits, particularly at the beginning of the year (when there is more to lose--in terms of playing time--with an injury).  Ertz himself knows what an injury risk he is....the reason is runs very deliberately and the reason he developed the stiff-arm was an almost instinctual reaction to wanting to keep people off his body (particularly his knees).

This really isn't that crazy of an idea, even if it is somewhat unconventional.  (Remember that the coaches kept talking last year about getting Delton a series, and they finally did that in the ISU game.)

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: April 25, 2017, 01:23:25 PM »
qb rotation sucks ass.  No thanks.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #388 on: April 25, 2017, 01:47:49 PM »
Ertz Number 1
Thompson number 2
Delton number 3

(Scratches beard...)

I don't know.  I didn't see the game, but I listened to most of it and saw the highlights.  It looked like when Delton was playing within the offense and taking what was given to him, he had some nice passes that were on the money.  The TD to Zuber was really quite good.  I think that this was one of his first opportunities to get out there and push the limit a little bit.  We don't know what the coaches told him to do; maybe they told him to go out there and try to make something happen if he felt like it.  That gives him some tape to review over the summer.

I think when you let Delton swing it around a bit, in a no impact environment, it has a lot of benefits.  Klein has some good tape to review with Alex to say, "What didn't you see there?  Why didn't you look at the third receiver?  Why didn't you tuck it and go?" 

Do I think Thompson is the best option, long term?  Sure.  Next year?  Eh.  I'd let Delton and Thompson sit there as "OR" on the backup chart most of the year and let them knife each other a little bit in an intense competition.  In the event Ertz goes down, you start with Delton and pull him if he doesn't do well.

Now, if I'm being selfish, I'd say that in 2018, if Jesse doesn't decide to exercise his sixth year, Thompson probably wins that battle.  If Jesse exercises it, I'd put Skylar as your primary #2 and let Delton figure out what he wants to go do with his last season.  The ball is going into Thompson's hands in 2019 unless there's a significant injury, so there's no need to make a hard decision on him today.  Make him work for it.

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: April 25, 2017, 02:22:07 PM »
I think you think to much Pan and should just enjoy watching the cats

Offline quagmire

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: April 25, 2017, 02:36:40 PM »

Are you high?

We have three QB's with different skill sets.  My plan would allow us to take advantage of what each brings to the table.

Delton can be great in our QB run game.  So, let's give him a series in the second quarter.  This allows us to continue to run these plays and force opponents to prep for this, all while protecting Ertz (a huge concern).  Allowing Delton to "specialize" as our running QB would also allow him to get better at this (the assembly line/specialization concept).

Unless Ertz comes from surgery 3 times better than he was before, Thompson is a better passer.  Simply put, he has more zip.  Now, of course, Thompson won't be able to make the same reads and decisions that Ertz does.  But, in a two-minute drill, you basically have to throw out 7/8's of your playbook.  The defense knows what you are going to do....much of your success (or not) depends on having a QB who can make the required throws.  And, if Thompson was our #1 for this, he would get #1 reps for the two minute drill in practice, and (like Delton) would improve rapidly at this limited and specialized part of the game.

I will admit this is not conventional, but there are certain things about our situation that distinguish us from the typical situation in which coaches fart around with more than one quarterback.  First, we have dramatically different QB.  Most schools recruit the same type of QB that "fits" their system.  Second, when coaches play more than one QB, those QB are competing against each other to be the starter, which can lead to rifts.  That is not our situation.  Ertz is clearly the guy; captain, team leader, proven winner, etc..  Giving Delton a series and Thompson 0-2 series a game does not threaten that.  In fact, carving our a specific (and important) role for Delton and Thompson to play might have the opposite effect:  They are not "the guy," but they are not discouraged because they have an important role to play nonetheless.  Rather than creating a rift, it might help with buy-in from all of the team.  Third, Ertz has a serious history with injuries.  We have to limit his hits, particularly at the beginning of the year (when there is more to lose--in terms of playing time--with an injury).  Ertz himself knows what an injury risk he is....the reason is runs very deliberately and the reason he developed the stiff-arm was an almost instinctual reaction to wanting to keep people off his body (particularly his knees).

This really isn't that crazy of an idea, even if it is somewhat unconventional.  (Remember that the coaches kept talking last year about getting Delton a series, and they finally did that in the ISU game.)

Rotating qbs never work. It makes it almost impossible for either one to get into a rhythm. Ertz started getting more confidence/making better reads and the end of last year, and we saw how dangerous he can potentially be.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: April 25, 2017, 02:42:24 PM »
stop getting trolled by steffy, quagmire

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 25, 2017, 04:02:40 PM »
Also wtf was with the train horn after every touchdown. It has to stop guys, I don't want to be TCU

Greg, we've been doing that train horn for at least a decade.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: April 25, 2017, 04:06:36 PM »

Are you high?

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 25, 2017, 04:16:24 PM »

Sound system must be improved enough for people to actually hear it now.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 25, 2017, 04:16:59 PM »

Sound system is still sub par imo

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: April 25, 2017, 04:20:20 PM »
There just aren't that many people attending a spring game. During the season you can't hear the train sound from the student section because everyone is going nuts.

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 25, 2017, 04:55:11 PM »

Sound system is still sub par imo

This is why KU is going for the best sound system around.  I envy what their trying to do over there... 
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 25, 2017, 04:55:17 PM »
There just aren't that many people attending a spring game. During the season you can't hear the train sound from the student section because everyone is going nuts.
Agreed I was going nuts

Offline That_Guy

• I'm just, "That Guy!"
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: April 25, 2017, 05:49:05 PM »
Agreed I was going nuts

I too, was always going nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk