Author Topic: Kids  (Read 283735 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Kids
« Reply #3050 on: August 24, 2022, 01:40:36 PM »
Just know, kids can google work arounds for most of the security that’s been implemented

https://appletoolbox.com/the-easiest-way-to-bypass-screen-time-limits-use-blocked-apps/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and they will

absolutely relentless

Why don't y'all just force them to only have Safari?

I have told everyone multiple times that I cannot afford iPhones. but I know kids get around all the crap anyway

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: August 24, 2022, 01:42:29 PM »
Michigancat loves to lie about not being able to afford an iPhone. It’s his favorite thing to do.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: August 24, 2022, 01:43:39 PM »
Meanwhile, the group text is an absolute wasteland of shitty videos you can’t see and grainy picks. Post apocalyptic hellscape.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #3053 on: August 24, 2022, 01:49:53 PM »
Just know, kids can google work arounds for most of the security that’s been implemented

https://appletoolbox.com/the-easiest-way-to-bypass-screen-time-limits-use-blocked-apps/

and they will

absolutely relentless

I have told everyone multiple times that I cannot afford iPhones. but I know kids get around all the crap anyway
Sounds like you need a new phone plan dog.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: August 24, 2022, 01:55:13 PM »
I just bought a used iPhone 6s in good condition for $80 on swappa. Then put it on an unlimited talk/text w/ limited data plan from Tello for less than $10/mo.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: August 24, 2022, 02:01:09 PM »
Tello me more! I have total wireless(uses verizon's tower which is good for me) think its around $30/ line bought a last gen iphone se 64gb phone for $149 last week

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: August 24, 2022, 02:33:51 PM »
Meanwhile, the group text is an absolute wasteland of shitty videos you can’t see and grainy picks. Post apocalyptic hellscape.

It's a horror show

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: August 24, 2022, 03:04:27 PM »
Tello me more! I have total wireless(uses verizon's tower which is good for me) think its around $30/ line bought a last gen iphone se 64gb phone for $149 last week

Tello uses T-Mobile network.  Has worked well for our kid’s phone.  Would probably be close to $30 if you choose unlimited data.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: August 24, 2022, 03:51:15 PM »

It's a horror show

Agreed.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: August 24, 2022, 07:38:18 PM »
https://www.allprodad.com/
I do enjoy a lot of the advice from this website. They send out an email M-F that is usually a quick under 5 minute read with good reminders/tips.

mind’s eye- i’m going to start a rival website that sends out a daily note with the worst possible advice oat

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3060 on: August 25, 2022, 10:00:19 AM »

and they will

absolutely relentless

One of our kids got my wife's old iPhone, we got the other a phone from untilgone.com also got them Fitbits from there.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: September 21, 2022, 09:15:49 AM »
I can not overstate how blessed I am that lil girl sd is a kg/1st grader during peak bluey. It’s the most pure media that has ever been created.

The "Sleepytime" epi of Bluey is so good. Lil ww doesn't understand much about Bluey yet but we still watch the crap outta it.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: September 21, 2022, 09:41:12 AM »
lmao

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: September 21, 2022, 05:37:25 PM »
My wife our son (7th grade now) a new galaxy S10 or whatever was the top of the line when he was 10. I was pissed. Wanted him to have a flip for as long as possible. It was part of a buy one get one or something, but it really chapped my ass.

Kids don’t need smartphones. Teens really don’t.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: September 21, 2022, 09:40:08 PM »
I am starting to worry about what my kids will see on the internet. I remember seeing like goatse but things have escalated significantly from there. I was in college or the workforce when 2 girls 1 cup hit.  I don’t think kids will be completely ruined or totally warped forever but it can’t be great in the short run.

Offline BW

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: September 21, 2022, 09:55:43 PM »
Any kids in Montessori school? Wife and I are in an argument. 3 year old goes to school 3 days a week. This allows her to work some RN shifts that she enjoys. Now she is getting emotional on the days that she doesn't work and thinks she is missing his childhood. It is expensive, but I feel it is a practical way to allow her to work, run errands, hang out with baby and for him to learn and socialize.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: September 22, 2022, 09:01:23 AM »
I am starting to worry about what my kids will see on the internet. I remember seeing like goatse but things have escalated significantly from there. I was in college or the workforce when 2 girls 1 cup hit.  I don’t think kids will be completely ruined or totally warped forever but it can’t be great in the short run.

I think about this too. I'm delaying (prob a bit too long) explaining the internet to my kids. They know what it is, but not really. That's the difference in how internet was when I was in HS and college. You actually went out to the web and searched for stuff. Now, kids don't really do that. They just use the apps on their iPads. They don't even know what safari is for. They don't use desktops or laptops, so everything is isolated to the apps they use. I've seen them use safari for youtube, but I check every once in a while and there is nothing else there. I'm afraid if I tell them about it, that will just make them go and search for a bunch of stuff, but eventually, I guess I have to warn them.  :dunno:

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: September 22, 2022, 09:09:35 AM »
I remember when I came across a risque pic of Tyra Banks online as a young lad. Dial up at the time. Had to print the pic out. It totally changed the game! Go interwebs! :drink:

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: September 22, 2022, 09:11:32 AM »
I was using web crawler to look at naked ladies in like 4th grade.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: September 22, 2022, 09:15:42 AM »
My youngest is in 6th grade and I have stopped worrying about any of it. Not worrying about policing stuff any longer has been AMAZING.

He started secretly watching Breaking Bad. When he confessed this to me kind of out of the blue, I was just like, "oh, yeah, I've seen most of that show." Now, we talk about the show a lot and he even put a Breaking Bad poster on his wall.

I also took him to see Bullet Train, which is rated R, because we both thought it looked like a fun movie. And it was indeed fun!

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: September 22, 2022, 09:16:46 AM »
My wife our son (7th grade now) a new galaxy S10 or whatever was the top of the line when he was 10. I was pissed. Wanted him to have a flip for as long as possible. It was part of a buy one get one or something, but it really chapped my ass.

my experience is kids move from texting to communicatiing almost exclusively thru apps like snapchat around 7th grade so the flip phone kid or the kid w/o snapchat or whatever can left out.

we may not like the ways of 21st century life but we have to accept it imo

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: September 22, 2022, 09:23:05 AM »

my experience is kids move from texting to communicatiing almost exclusively thru apps like snapchat around 7th grade so the flip phone kid or the kid w/o snapchat or whatever can left out.

we may not like the ways of 21st century life but we have to accept it imo

Absolutely not.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: September 22, 2022, 09:24:13 AM »
9th grade I was taking a thespian class and we were supposed to do a monologue.  I used the computer right by the theater and searched a fewgoodmen.com. IT WAS NOT WHAT I WANTED!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: September 22, 2022, 10:16:39 AM »
I don't think sheltering children is the answer in almost any situation imaginable. Like I don't want my 9 yo playing tackle football right now but by god if he wants to I'll support it. Obviously I'm not opening him up to the vast world of horrific internet and social media accounts right now but when he starts to be a reasonable age I'm supportive of him having a smart phone and consuming most media. I've already started talking to him about a lot of really awful or adult stuff he's going to see in his life and that the world is a pretty diverse place and I don't want him doing that stuff but let's be real, kids are going to. I should know, I was once a kid. And I grew up around some extraordinarily sheltered kids. Meade has a pretty large mennonite community who had their own HS at one time. A lot of them are just like everyone else now but a lot are still pretty sheltered. Let me tell you something, sheltering your kids from the world and its wonders/horrors is not a profitable path on average.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: September 22, 2022, 11:13:53 AM »
Treat the internet/social media with your kids like you would with crossing the street or riding a bike. Let them know what to look out for, dangers to avoid, how to operate safely in general. Just do what you can to make it as safe as possible without locking them in the house or holding their hands to cross the street the rest of their lives