Author Topic: Kids  (Read 285609 times)

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Kids
« Reply #2900 on: January 08, 2022, 11:08:33 AM »
So may oldest is in 2nd grade & is the youngest because of an August birthday & skipped kindergarten. She should be in 1st grade. She just took a lexile test that puts hers reading at a 7th/8th grade level.

Does anyone have a good book series to start with her? I gave the background above because while she is a very advanced reader, she still has the maturity of a 7 year old. If we give her something too complicated that she can read the words but doesn’t know what they mean, she asks us a question every paragraph & she gets frustrated. I know some people will say just challenge her, but we still want reading to be fun for her & not turn her off to it. She did like The Magic Treehouse a year ago & knocked 2-3 of those out a day & was done with the series in a few weeks. She’s still getting random books at the Library at that level but she’s getting bored with them.

Would she get the disc world books? I’ve heard those have a lot of references that she wouldn’t get.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: January 08, 2022, 11:11:41 AM »
So may oldest is in 2nd grade & is the youngest because of an August birthday & skipped kindergarten. She should be in 1st grade. She just took a lexile test that puts hers reading at a 7th/8th grade level.

Does anyone have a good book series to start with her? I gave the background above because while she is a very advanced reader, she still has the maturity of a 7 year old. If we give her something too complicated that she can read the words but doesn’t know what they mean, she asks us a question every paragraph & she gets frustrated. I know some people will say just challenge her, but we still want reading to be fun for her & not turn her off to it. We’ve did like The Magic Treehouse a year ago & she knocked 2-3 of those out a day & was done with the series in a few weeks. She’s still getting random books at the Library at that level but she’s getting bored with them.

Would she get the disc world books? I’ve heard those have a lot of references that she wouldn’t get.

How about this brainiac idea: buy her a dictionary, or a tablet open to an online dictionary, w/e. 

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: January 08, 2022, 11:20:31 AM »
Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and/or Harry Potter?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: January 08, 2022, 12:30:58 PM »

Does anyone have a good book series to start with her? I gave the background above because while she is a very advanced reader, she still has the maturity of a 7 year old. If we give her something too complicated that she can read the words but doesn’t know what they mean, she asks us a question every paragraph & she gets frustrated. I know some people will say just challenge her, but we still want reading to be fun for her & not turn her off to it. She did like The Magic Treehouse a year ago & knocked 2-3 of those out a day & was done with the series in a few weeks. She’s still getting random books at the Library at that level but she’s getting bored with them.

Is she in to non-fiction at all? A lot of books there depending upon her interests.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: January 08, 2022, 04:37:46 PM »

Is she in to non-fiction at all? A lot of books there depending upon her interests.

I think she’d enjoy non-fiction. Just trying to find anything that’s a level-up for her that others posters’ kids have enjoyed.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: January 08, 2022, 10:07:22 PM »
Look at that fanningbrag! Have her read The Wretched of the Earth and report back to the board.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: January 08, 2022, 10:55:24 PM »
Look at that fanningbrag! Have her read The Wretched of the Earth and report back to the board.
:lol:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: January 09, 2022, 09:19:42 AM »
Yes!

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: January 09, 2022, 11:08:07 AM »
Our almost 14 month old has really started to enjoy us reading books to him, which is great. What is not so great is he wants to read the same few books over and over and will scream if we stop.  :blank:
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: January 09, 2022, 11:57:29 AM »
Our almost 14 month old has really started to enjoy us reading books to him, which is great. What is not so great is he wants to read the same few books over and over and will scream if we stop.  :blank:
I’m to the point that for a lot of story time I’m thinking of something completely different like work or football while my mouth just recites the story. Complete autopilot.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2910 on: January 09, 2022, 12:11:55 PM »
I’m to the point that for a lot of story time I’m thinking of something completely different like work or football while my mouth just recites the story. Complete autopilot.

I had the books memorized, but so did my daughter with what pages went with what words. I would just recite & let her turn the pages, but she’d yell at me when my closed eye reciting got off schedule with her page turning.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: January 09, 2022, 12:24:06 PM »

This. I have absolutely zero recognition or comprehension of the very basic stories I read aloud at bedtime. Like immediately afterward.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: January 09, 2022, 01:34:45 PM »

Anything by Kate DiCamillo starting with Mercy Watson
Nancy Drew
Boxcar Children
Beatrice Zenker

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: January 09, 2022, 02:04:37 PM »
I Am The Cheese, by Robert Cormier

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: January 09, 2022, 02:06:10 PM »
Any Billy Goats Gruff fans?  Mrs 8 used to narrate and was the voices of the troll and goats.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: January 09, 2022, 03:06:09 PM »
Any Billy Goats Gruff fans?  Mrs 8 used to narrate and was the voices of the troll and goats.

Tom

Oh man. I loved doing the voices for that book. We even had a game at the playground where I would be the “big dad troll” and chase the kids back and forth over the bridge at the playground. They’ve pretty much outgrown playgrounds now.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: January 09, 2022, 06:13:14 PM »

Tom

Oh man. I loved doing the voices for that book. We even had a game at the playground where I would be the “big dad troll” and chase the kids back and forth over the bridge at the playground. They’ve pretty much outgrown playgrounds now.
Yes!  Troll lived under the slipper slide and the boys had to navigate the bridge and not get caught.

Tom

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: January 09, 2022, 09:34:35 PM »

I had the books memorized, but so did my daughter with what pages went with what words. I would just recite & let her turn the pages, but she’d yell at me when my closed eye reciting got off schedule with her page turning.

ms ww can tell when i'm not paying attention. I goof up some of the words and start ad libing.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: January 10, 2022, 08:43:42 AM »

ms ww can tell when i'm not paying attention. I goof up some of the words and start ad libing.

WW our girl is going through that same phase. her current favorite book is I Might Be Little, it has a bunch of flaps on each of the pages which i think is her favorite part. She also loves anything by Sandra Boynton but can be very finnicky like she will love it for a week and then never want to read it again for the next 2 months and then love it again.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2919 on: January 10, 2022, 08:56:10 AM »
Books I can recite verbatim if called upon:

Going on a bear hunt
The entire little blue truck library
About 1/3 of elephant and piggie books

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2920 on: January 10, 2022, 08:56:25 AM »
Also elephant and piggie are the bitb

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: January 10, 2022, 08:58:29 AM »

WW our girl is going through that same phase. her current favorite book is I Might Be Little, it has a bunch of flaps on each of the pages which i think is her favorite part. She also loves anything by Sandra Boynton but can be very finnicky like she will love it for a week and then never want to read it again for the next 2 months and then love it again.
Miss reading those Sandra Boynton books. Have a video of our daughter reading Blue Hat Green Hat where she goes "WHOOPS!" really loud and the chuckles to herself. Not to get overly sentimental but those read-aloud times are precious and fleeting. Soak it up.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: January 10, 2022, 09:35:52 AM »
Oh man, my daughter used to laugh her entire ass off at the whoops in that book. So pure.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #2923 on: January 10, 2022, 09:53:11 AM »
Also elephant and piggie are the bitb
Can confirm.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire