Author Topic: Kids  (Read 284956 times)

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Kids
« Reply #2675 on: April 03, 2021, 11:08:20 AM »
We told my fourth grader that a phone comes when she’s involved in after school/middle school stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: April 03, 2021, 12:30:42 PM »
I think in general, kids won't give a crap if it's cold or how sugary the sand is and there's tons of beach rental options all over the country so choose for the adults (travel, cost, what you want to do). Kids well have a blast splashing around and digging in sand no matter what.

Honestly West Michigan beaches on Lake Michigan could be a great option for kids, too. Tell the kids it's the ocean! They're kids, they're dumb!

Maybe my kids are soft, or just have been to enough beaches to know the differences, or both. But they definitely prefer better beaches and warmer water. Last summer we went to a couple of different beaches on Lake Superior, the girls didn't go in the water higher than ankle deep and my 1 year old spent most of his time saying "uh oh" and picking up all the trash he saw.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: April 03, 2021, 01:25:57 PM »
CF3 Jr. is 11 and he is the only one without a phone

I mean the only one in his class

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Kids
« Reply #2678 on: April 03, 2021, 01:35:58 PM »
Yeah, my kid is 7 and claims all the kids had phones and I didn’t believe him. Then we got an email from his second grade teacher reminding parents that their children cannot make or receive calls during school.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: April 03, 2021, 01:38:20 PM »
Lmao
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: April 03, 2021, 01:39:52 PM »
I am ok being the weird family on the phone thing.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: April 03, 2021, 01:52:51 PM »
Letting our kids walk home from school alone has been one of the best things for them. They walk past a park so sometimes they stop and play with the other kids and sometimes they just come straight home.

Q for other parents: what age are you allowing a smart phone?

At least 14 imo, but Nicname Jr is 11 and has had one since last year. I hate it. Verizon gifted my wife an extra S10/11(?) when she got her new one last year. It was lost for several months, which I loved.

Dumb phones allow for communication and more independent behavior. Smart phones are a detriment imo.

I’ve made a lot of mistakes with tech as a parent imo.

Cf3, I think we have very similar parenting outlooks.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: April 03, 2021, 02:07:55 PM »
 I don’t get the smart phone’s are bad for kids thing.  Aren’t ya’ll just letting them watch nonstop on an iPad?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: April 03, 2021, 02:40:31 PM »
We took one of our old iPhones, set it up with a $10/mo Tello plan,  taught our kids to call/text, and called it the “home” phone. That was the first step towards leaving them home alone for a bit.  We have also sent our oldest to the grocery store on his bike and getting the “I made it there” and “I’m heading home” texts are sooo reassuring.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: April 03, 2021, 02:53:32 PM »
My kids never had ipads and we also started on call and text only plans.

My kids are the only ones without iphones and they definitely get the green bubble shame

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2685 on: April 03, 2021, 02:58:48 PM »

My kids are the only ones without iphones and they definitely get the green bubble shame

What you’re doing is commendable imo.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: April 03, 2021, 02:58:48 PM »
We have iPads and both can FaceTime/text

Have all the family numbers saved at least with iPhone but they know how to Facebook call people without.

We leave home to run quick errands but usually under an hour

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: April 03, 2021, 03:40:11 PM »

It's not, we just can't afford iphones

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: April 03, 2021, 03:55:53 PM »

It's not, we just can't afford iphones
You live in the Bay Area bitch! You sound like the rough ridin' $2000/mo candle help! my family is starving! tweet.

What the eff?

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: April 03, 2021, 04:17:17 PM »
the bigger than phones is when do they get snapchat & instagram - we held out on both until 8th grade but apparently those apps become the main means of communication and my daughter had a pretty lonley 7th grade

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: April 03, 2021, 04:19:30 PM »
You live in the Bay Area bitch! You sound like the rough ridin' $2000/mo candle help! my family is starving! tweet.

What the eff?

lol, yes.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: April 03, 2021, 04:19:32 PM »
the bigger than phones is when do they get snapchat & instagram - we held out on both until 8th grade but apparently those apps become the main means of communication and my daughter had a pretty lonley 7th grade
We did 13 for our kids. They were fine. Incidentally none of the kids out here use snapchat (at least based on my kids' circles of friends)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 06:05:45 PM by michigancat »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: April 03, 2021, 04:26:19 PM »

What the eff?

lol, yes.

It's a bad joke that I have for myself because everyone here likes to say androids are for poors.

Tapatalk image upload really really sucks on Android

well, it rules on iOS

If you're using android still by choice, you don't deserve easy pic uploads IMO
I can't afford apple products

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: April 03, 2021, 04:46:15 PM »
Damn. I thought I had owned you, guess I shouldn’t expect to own a Bay Area person that easily.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: April 03, 2021, 06:00:41 PM »
are kids like, a lot of work and stuff?

They’re easy.Just keep them in you pocket and give them an M&M every once in a while, no big deal.

I see no one watched early 90s Dana Carvey HBO Critics Choice special that Comedy Central aired 4 times a week in the late 90s/early 00s as much as I did.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 06:14:28 PM by TheHamburglar »
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: April 03, 2021, 06:03:19 PM »
Damn. I thought I had owned you, guess I shouldn’t expect to own a Bay Area person that easily.
Flyover country yokel tries dunking on coastal elite, embarrasses whole family in the process
:adios:

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: April 03, 2021, 06:50:04 PM »
Flyover country yokel tries dunking on coastal elite, embarrasses whole family in the process

You absolutely hate to see it
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: April 03, 2021, 07:44:15 PM »
Vacation question: any recommendations for a warm beach to take kids to this summer? Someplace where you could stay in a cabin/cottage thing, wake up, eat pancakes, walk outside and play/swim on the beach all day. Not in a resort/hotel. Small numbers of people nearby okay. Would not need to have any other activities nearby.

high end airbnb around destin

Yeah SD is right. Florida west coast, but south of Tampa, anything Tampa and north has too many college kids and southerners. I would say the Texas Gulf Coast is underrated, but you have to be careful because there's some real crap holes down there, some great places, no doubt but the Florida gulf is much better. There's no where on the Atlantic you want to go to. The Florida atlantic is trashy and everything north of there is pretty rocky and cold.
Thanks for the beach tips. We’ve been to some beaches in Michigan that are beautiful but too cold to swim in for very long.

Am considering driving to FL (even though I promised myself no more long drives for a few years) and taking the kids to see the National Memorial for Peace and Justice on the way. Has anyone visited? If so, is there a recommended age for kids to reach before they experience it?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: April 03, 2021, 08:36:55 PM »

lmao

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: April 03, 2021, 08:58:52 PM »
are kids like, a lot of work and stuff?

They’re easy.Just keep them in you pocket and give them an M&M every once in a while, no big deal.

I see no one watched early 90s Dana Carvey HBO Critics Choice special that Comedy Central aired 4 times a week in the late 90s/early 00s as much as I did.

I absolutely did watch that comedy special a zillion times - is still very much in my vernacular like for example I frequently say choppin broccoliiiiihiii however I am not remembering your reference one bit