Author Topic: Kids  (Read 285635 times)

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Kids
« Reply #1700 on: March 18, 2016, 01:46:50 PM »
Don't do this to yourself panj, he isn't real.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: March 18, 2016, 01:47:32 PM »
Diaper genie = total waste

Canco.  It seems like a brilliant idea in theory but it turns out to be an awful awful thing.

What specifically is awful about it? It was one of the few things that I was actually kind of jazzed about. If it sucks though, obvs don't want it sitting around mocking me.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline Ptolemy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: March 18, 2016, 01:58:09 PM »
It works well.  Our children have been well ahead of their age groups in vocabulary and reading, and some part of that was our insistence on teaching basic sign language when they were toddlers.

Even basic, simple things like being hungry, needing a new diaper, wanting water vs. milk, etc.  go a long way.

It has no negative impact on them at all and helps a lot.  You don't need to teach them 100 words, but 20-25 can go a long way towards bridging a communication gap.

The infamous, "But it worked for me" defense, goes both ways.  Friends of ours and a relative (yep...millennials) taught their young kids sign language and both kids were slow to speak and one of them is currently working with a speech therapist.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: March 18, 2016, 02:02:24 PM »
It works well.  Our children have been well ahead of their age groups in vocabulary and reading, and some part of that was our insistence on teaching basic sign language when they were toddlers.

Even basic, simple things like being hungry, needing a new diaper, wanting water vs. milk, etc.  go a long way.

It has no negative impact on them at all and helps a lot.  You don't need to teach them 100 words, but 20-25 can go a long way towards bridging a communication gap.

The infamous, "But it worked for me" defense, goes both ways.  Friends of ours and a relative (yep...millennials) taught their young kids sign language and both kids were slow to speak and one of them is currently working with a speech therapist.

The kids were probably going to be stupid even if sign language hadn't been used.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: March 18, 2016, 02:09:06 PM »
Yep, it's like kids that develop central nervous system diseases within two weeks of being administered a vaccine. Wasn't the vaccine's fault, or it would be repeatable in scientific research. Doesn't stop the parent from being convinced that their child was the victim of worldwide pharmaceutical misinformation and coverup. Same thing here, researchers can't find a lick of evidence that says early development sign language hinders speech development in the least.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: March 18, 2016, 02:15:42 PM »
why do people care about this crap

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: March 18, 2016, 02:18:29 PM »

Canco.  It seems like a brilliant idea in theory but it turns out to be an awful awful thing.

What specifically is awful about it? It was one of the few things that I was actually kind of jazzed about. If it sucks though, obvs don't want it sitting around mocking me.

Like I said, the concept is enticing until you actually use it.  One of the main features of the Genie is how it contains the smell.  I think it did cut down on the smell, that is until the Genie gets full and you have to empty it which then releases quite a bit of baby stank into your house.  You will be surprised and horrified at how many diapers you can actually cram in the little space and will never be able to look at a strand of link sausages the same way again. As others have said just tying a diaper up in a plastic bag or putting it in any little trash can with a lid does the same thing. Just make sure to take them to your outside garbage can every day and there's no issue with smell.  The cost of the refills adds up too so if you avoid buying those you'll be able to afford a 12 pack of crappy beer or a 6 pack of decent beer instead.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: March 18, 2016, 02:18:51 PM »
I love baby sign language. the please sign is like rubbing your tummy. when lil sd was pissed off because he wants something and I wouldn't give it to him and told him to say please he would really aggressively rub his tummy and yell, "pleasepleaseplease!"

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: March 18, 2016, 02:21:04 PM »

Like I said, the concept is enticing until you actually use it.  One of the main features of the Genie is how it contains the smell.  I think it did cut down on the smell, that is until the Genie gets full and you have to empty it which then releases quite a bit of baby stank into your house.  You will be surprised and horrified at how many diapers you can actually cram in the little space and will never be able to look at a strand of link sausages the same way again. As others have said just tying a diaper up in a plastic bag or putting it in any little trash can with a lid does the same thing. Just make sure to take them to your outside garbage can every day and there's no issue with smell.  The cost of the refills adds up too so if you avoid buying those you'll be able to afford a 12 pack of crappy beer or a 6 pack of decent beer instead.

Thanks!

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: March 18, 2016, 02:24:06 PM »
BAD PARENT: USE YOUR WORDS. PLEASE!

LIZZIE HEISELT

If I’d known that my thirteen-month-old son would wake me up at 7:00 in the morning by crawling on my head and then looking at me expectantly while putting his two dimpled fists together in the sign for “more,” I would have thought twice about teaching him – a normal, hearing baby – sign language.

All I’d heard were the wonderful things signing could do for us: we could communicate as early as seven months. He’d reap the benefits of learning a second language, like having a higher IQ and larger vocabulary. There would be fewer temper tantrums. We’d bond. And most importantly for me, it would, I hoped, stop the agitated groaning, grunting and reaching that had become the soundtrack to my life.

I fell for it hard. From the time he was born, I looked forward to the day when my little guy would start talking to me with his hands. He’d let me know what he needed and I would avoid the “do-you-want-this-or-this-or-this” game altogether. And then he’d scrub the floor and do the dishes.

When he was five months old, I started with the most urgent signs: more, eat, diaper and milk. I dutifully signed them to him at the appropriate times and studied him for hints of understanding. All I got were blank stares. Sometimes he looked away.

Months passed and I grew anxious as I talked to friends whose babies had started signing after only weeks of teaching. I was exasperated when my son lost interest in the Baby Signing Time DVDs my friends raved about. My heart sank when I heard stories of babies picking up new signs in an instant.

But I couldn’t stop. By his first birthday, my son wasn’t signing, but he also hadn’t yet spoken a word. I dreaded another year of his groaning. Something had to be done to stop the noise, I thought, and the only something I knew of was sign language. Yet each time I signed, I was reminded of his lack of interest and plagued with thoughts that maybe my child didn’t want to talk to me at all.

Then, after eight months of teaching, he finally did it. He waved “bye-bye” to a stranger in the park. From that moment, the signing seemed virtually unstoppable. He signed bye-bye every chance he got. Bye-bye bed. Bye-bye food. Bye-bye pajamas. Bye-bye train. Within days his signing vocabulary took off. Milk. Eat. More. Dog. Bird. I was elated and encouraged him at every turn.

“Do you want something to eat? Something to eat? Eat! Yes! Good sign!” I would say. “Good sign!” became a refrain at our house. “Yes, I see you want more, but there is no more. No more. Good sign, though, good sign.”

“Dog? I don’t see a dog. Good sign, though, good sign.”

The “good sign”-ing reached ridiculous levels. Both my husband and I worried that without our enthusiasm for every attempted communication, no matter how out of place it may have been, our boy would have second thoughts about trying to talk to us. We felt signing was a thin rope that connected us to our reticent son, a rope he could easily pull away if we didn’t constantly hold up our end.

We “good sign”-ed until we didn’t mean it any more, until what I really wanted to say was, “More? More what? More diaper changes? More naps? You don’t even know what that word means!” Instead, I’d hand him a stray object. “You want more? Here’s more. More socks. Good sign. Good sign for more.” Fear of planting seeds of distrust in our relationship made us loose with praise.

And so, after the initial elation of success wore off, buyer’s remorse settled in. I doubted his sincerity with every gesture. I wondered if I had been starving him, so frequent were his requests for food and more of it. I thought back on the good old days before he realized I took orders, back when he was grateful that I remembered to feed him at all.

But I had not forgotten the groaning, grunting, reaching machine that had so recently been replaced by this quieter, if more demanding model. I continued to compliment his every sign with the hope that the added confidence would keep communication strong.

Slowly, gradually, the confidence came. The boy can now reliably produce appropriate signs without prompting and he continues to use them even after requests are denied. Yes, we are subject to a round of “dog” signing each time our neighbor’s dog barks, but instead of being scared into showering him with praise at a well-executed sign, we acknowledge that, yes, we heard the dog too. Good listening.

Wasn’t signing a way of intervening early so he could communicate? However, my son is now seventeen months old. He doesn’t speak at all. No “Mama.” No “Dada.” Not even “No.” It didn’t occur to me to that he should be speaking until his pediatrician mentioned the words “early intervention” and “speech therapy” at his well-baby checkup. Funny. I thought I’d already done that. Wasn’t signing a way of intervening early so he could communicate?

The doctor wasn’t convinced that my son’s signs constituted meaningful communication. “If he doesn’t start speaking soon,” the doctor said, “he’ll get frustrated. That’s when the terrible twos kick in. Best to get a speech therapist to help him out before the tantrums start.”

Part of me wonders, did I do this to my son? Did my encouragement and enthusiasm for signing keep him from learning to talk? And although signing has defused many tantrums already, I’d love to hear him say “Mama” and mean it. So I’ve taken on the responsibility of reversing the damage myself.

“Can you make the ‘Mmm’ sound? Like Ma-ma-ma-ma-mama.”

Dutifully, he’ll point to his forehead – his interpretation of the sign for “Mom.”

Sigh. Good sign, Son, good sign.

ARTICLE POSTED 7 YEARS AGO
facebookpinterest
SEE COMMENTS
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
facebookpinterest
SEE COMMENT
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1710 on: March 18, 2016, 02:29:42 PM »
more, thirsty,  all done.  my one year old has a sign when she wants more of something specific, kind of rotates her wrist back and forth.

helps a ton with the whiny noises when they want/need something.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: March 18, 2016, 02:45:54 PM »
BAD PARENT: USE YOUR WORDS. PLEASE!...

abortion advocates should hang out wherever pregnant women congregate to recieve medical services and hand them printouts of this.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Ptolemy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: March 18, 2016, 02:55:59 PM »
Just so you youngsters won't feel so bad at being shown you're wrong, when I was in your shoes, I fell for the "I'm gonna Count To Three" nonsense. Kids were doing something they shouldn't - walking into traffic, disengaging the baby fence at the stairs, putting the cat into the oven, etc. we would tell them, "I'm counting to 3...one....two..." and they'd keep doing it until I counted "3" then they'd watch to see if I was serious.  My parents saw it and told me it was dumb. Just follow through and be consistent with behavior control (their version involved beatings, but I digress). But they were right. After that, we just said "Stop it." and if they didn't we immediately went over and stopped it. if they tried to continue, they lose freedom - into the high chair, into bed, etc.

Offline Ptolemy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: March 18, 2016, 02:57:41 PM »
wherever pregnant women congregate to recieve medical services

Where is that exactly?

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: March 18, 2016, 03:01:16 PM »
Life is tough, how will kids have the tools to survive if you don't beat them?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: March 18, 2016, 03:07:13 PM »
wherever pregnant women congregate to recieve medical services

Where is that exactly?

if i knew, i would have typed the name of the place rather than a description of it.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

The Big Train

« Reply #1716 on: March 19, 2016, 07:14:20 PM »
What a thread. I rough ridin' told you guys Ptolemy is as old as the earth!

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: March 20, 2016, 03:01:16 AM »
Some people take parenting way too rough ridin' seriously.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: March 21, 2016, 11:01:28 AM »
I am not surprised at all that Ptolemy has some stupid friends.  "Canadian friends" probably.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: March 21, 2016, 12:11:36 PM »
Also, you realize baby sign language is a process where you say the word as you sign, right?  Like when you ask them if they're hungry, you make the sign when you say the word "hungry". 

You don't literally sit there in silence and draw air pictures with your hands...

However, I'm wondering if you actually know the difference...
Ms. wacky has to sign to me a lot on the weekend, to see if I need food, because pak'd!

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: March 25, 2016, 07:14:40 PM »
Lil SB is due on Sunday :excited: He'll probably be late so they'll induce Mrs. SB the Sunday after that.

Super pumped to pull this nonsense on everyone constantly:

Guess I better get back on the mommy blog train here pretty quick.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: March 27, 2016, 02:55:49 PM »
People who have done the childbirth thing, give me your hot takes on what to bring/not bring to the hosp whenshe goes into labor/for the few days afterward
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: March 27, 2016, 03:02:38 PM »
Forget all those other (excessive) checklists — this is the only one you’ll need, we promise.

Have your bags (one for you, one for baby) packed and in your car by 35 weeks. (Taxi-taking moms — stash your bags in the front hall closet.)

A tip for the thrifty: Ask your hospital what they provide for babies and mothers, and take those items off your list.

Must-Haves:

[ ] Insurance info, hospital forms and birth plan (if you have one)

[ ] 2-3 pairs of warm, nonskid socks that can get ruined (for walking the halls before and after labor)

[ ] A warm robe or sweater you don’t mind sacrificing to the cause

[ ] 2 maternity bras — no underwire — and nursing pads (whether or not you plan to nurse, you’ll appreciate the support and leak-protection)

[ ] Lip balm (hospitals are very dry)

[ ] Toiletries and personal items — hairbrush, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, face wash, makeup (as if), shampoo, conditioner, lotion, contact lens case and solution (remember, travel-sized products are your friends)

[ ] Eyeglasses

[ ] Headband or ponytail holder (avoid clips — they’ll probably poke you)

[ ] Sugar-free hard candy or lozenges to keep your mouth moist during labor (candy with sugar will make you thirsty)

[ ] Pen and paper

[ ] Lots of change for the vending machines and non-perishable snacks (you’ll probably be hungry after labor, and the hospital cafeteria could be closed)

[ ] Cell phone and charger, phone numbers of people to call after birth, prepaid calling card (if your hospital doesn’t allow cell phones)

[ ] Camera, film or extra memory card, battery or charger

[ ] A gym bag packed with a change of clothes and basic hygiene products for your partner

Take it or leave it:

[  ] Extra pillow (with a case that can get ruined, in a pattern distinguishable from hospital white)

[ ] Comfortable going-home clothes in six-month maternity size and flat shoes (or, just wear the clothes you came in… sorry, but they’ll probably still fit)

[ ] Bath towel (the hospital will likely supply a small, very thin one)

[ ] Hairdryer

[ ] Your favorite brand of soap, shampoo and heavy flow sanitary pads (the hospital supplies these things, but bring your own if you’re picky)

[ ] A few pairs of maternity underwear that can get ruined (the hospital will have disposable pairs, which some women find handy and others find gross)

[ ] A ruin-able nightgown (you can use those lovely hospital gowns, but your own might help you feel more human)

[ ] Breast pump, if you plan to use one

[ ] Slippers that can get dirty

[ ] Very light reading (think mags and newspapers, not War and Peace)

[ ] Your MP3 (loaded with your favorite tunes, of course)

[ ] Massage oil and tools like rolling pins or tennis balls, and lucky or inspirational objects (honestly, we doubt you'll use 'em…but feel free to prove us wrong!)

Leave Home:

[ ] Any clothes or nighties you really like (they will get ruined)

[ ] Stopwatch (your nurse or a monitor will take care of timing contractions)

What to Bring For Baby:

[ ] Approved car seat

[ ] A coming-home outfit

[ ] Warm blankets (for the ride home)

[ ] Outdoor gear like a snowsuit and hat, as seasonally appropriate (remember, babies are extra sensitive to cold)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: March 27, 2016, 03:05:19 PM »
Meh, just whatever.  The hospital is going to take care of mom and kid and you won't really remember much, other than being with the baby, anyway.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: March 27, 2016, 03:42:22 PM »
Just yourself