Author Topic: Kids  (Read 285841 times)

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Kids
« Reply #1650 on: March 17, 2016, 09:41:08 PM »
Forever going to read dobber's posts with a Walter Sobchak voice in my head after all this toe talk.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: March 17, 2016, 09:51:30 PM »
dobber's advice seems pretty spot on.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: March 17, 2016, 09:53:18 PM »

especially the giving regular food to 1 month olds
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: March 17, 2016, 09:57:08 PM »

especially the giving regular food to 1 month olds

yep.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: March 17, 2016, 10:01:02 PM »
Tell the grandparents to invest in a 529 college savings plan instead of buying toys  (or toes).
Yep.  We have been doing this.  Grand parents give the a small toy and a check.  Three pairs of grands, four aunts/uncle pairs, and us.  They get plenty of toys and don't need grandma buying them 10.  Just makes sense.

We do this for xmas and bdays.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: March 17, 2016, 10:10:53 PM »
what if they decide not to go to college
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: March 17, 2016, 10:14:10 PM »
They wont.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: March 17, 2016, 10:21:10 PM »

Do what you feel is best everyone. Give it your all either way and let the chips fall. This is your life. Live it. Love it.
SdK brings some great stuff! Man, keep it up. You from a year ago had me scared, but you today got some zeal. (And not in a sarcastic gE way)

Gonna win 'em all! (using Tapatalk)

But he's still full of bs.
Says the guy who doesn't practice what he preaches.

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: March 17, 2016, 10:25:06 PM »
Care to elaborate? 

Offline TCUHornedFrog

• Cocaine is a helluva drug
  • Katpak'r
  • Cocaine is a helluva drug
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: March 17, 2016, 10:25:20 PM »
kids ruin your life.

but they are kind of awesome at the same time.

Racist kids that teach your non-racist kid racist crap really suck.  kick those little fuckers in the gonads.

Offline Ptolemy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: March 18, 2016, 12:21:40 AM »
My kids didn't learn it, bit the idea with sign language is that kids are able to learn to sign before they can learn to speak. It's about communication and absolutely nothing to do with frustration.

Why should a normal hearing kid take time away from learning to vocalize thoughts to learn the language of deaf people?

Offline Ptolemy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: March 18, 2016, 12:29:17 AM »
My kids didn't learn it, bit the idea with sign language is that kids are able to learn to sign before they can learn to speak. It's about communication and absolutely nothing to do with frustration.

and...

http://www.playingwithwords365.com/2012/05/9-reasons-to-teach-sign-language-to-your-hearing-infant-or-toddler/

9 REASONS TO TEACH SIGN LANGUAGE TO YOUR {HEARING} INFANT OR TODDLER

2. Earlier communication can decrease tantrum behavior
Many early tantrums in toddlers are often a result of their inability to communicate their wants and needs effectively (hence the term “the terrible twos which I find start at more like 15 months…). By giving your child the gift of sign language as an early communication tool, you may see a decrease in tantrum behavior as he will be able to communicate to you more effectively than with speech and gesture alone.

So...

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: March 18, 2016, 12:40:24 AM »

Why should a normal hearing kid take time away from learning to vocalize thoughts to learn the language of deaf people?

Um, because they're not capable of vocalizing thoughts yet, and working on learning a mode of communication that they are capable of performing at that time helps some children to develop their speech communication skills even more rapidly when they are physically capable of forming words? Also, deaf people aren't the only ones to use sign language.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: March 18, 2016, 12:45:10 AM »
Oh, now I get it. Toddlers learning sign language is totally ruining America. This madness must be stopped!

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: March 18, 2016, 01:44:01 AM »
this is the dumbest rough ridin' thread i have ever seen, thanks ptolemy

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1665 on: March 18, 2016, 02:37:02 AM »
Care to elaborate?
I would if I could.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: March 18, 2016, 07:52:29 AM »
what if they decide not to go to college

1. Use the funds to pay for community college, vocational school or other eligible post-secondary education.
2. Change the beneficiary to a sibling or other qualifying family member who will attend college.
3. Use the money to pay for your own continuing education.
4. Save the funds for a future grandchild.
5. Take a non-qualified withdrawal and pay income tax and a 10% penalty on the earnings portion of the withdrawal. Your contributions were made with after tax money and therefore will never be taxed or penalized.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: March 18, 2016, 07:57:45 AM »
(An interesting side note is that if the beneficiary gets a full scholarship to college, the penalty for taking the cash is waived.)

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: March 18, 2016, 09:14:01 AM »
Teach your kids 2 languages at the same time. We taught our kid Spanish at the same time as English. Super easy.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: March 18, 2016, 09:18:43 AM »
Teach your kids 2 languages at the same time. We taught our kid Spanish at the same time as English. Super easy.

Good idea, but does the kid get confused between the two? Does he speak half a sentence in English and then the other half in Spanish without realizing it?

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: March 18, 2016, 09:21:43 AM »
We don't speak Spanish at home, because neither of us are Hispanic, but a lot of our family in GC is, so she gets to speak it at holidays. Little kids absorb the crap out of that stuff when they are young. She's a first grader and it had zero negative effect on her English. Of course, we didn't know years ago that Donald was going to build a wall and make learning Spanish pointless.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: March 18, 2016, 09:26:12 AM »
We don't speak Spanish at home, because neither of us are Hispanic, but a lot of our family in GC is, so she gets to speak it at holidays. Little kids absorb the crap out of that stuff when they are young. She's a first grader and it had zero negative effect on her English. Of course, we didn't know years ago that Donald was going to build a wall and make learning Spanish pointless.

I mean, you don't have to be Hispanic to speak Spanish. If you don't speak Spanish then how did you teach your kid Spanish?

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: March 18, 2016, 09:33:17 AM »
I guess I meant that we don't sit around the house and speak Spanish on conversation.

When we would teach her a word, we would teach her the word in both languages. Worked well. I don't want to misrepresent and claim that she's 100% fluent in Spanish, but her comprehension skills are pretty great.

I have some friends who taught their son English and German at the same time (my buddy's parents are German) so that made sense for them. Kids are smart as crap most of the time.

Offline Ptolemy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: March 18, 2016, 10:54:42 AM »

Um, because they're not capable of vocalizing thoughts yet, and working on learning a mode of communication that they are capable of performing at that time helps some children to develop their speech communication skills even more rapidly when they are physically capable of forming words? Also, deaf people aren't the only ones to use sign language.

You seem to believe that children just wake up one day, take a dry diaper off, hit the head and drop a log, and presto-change-o have the power of speech?!? Learning to speak is LEARNING to speak. Learning is a process. If you impede that process by teaching them to not have to speak you are increasing the likelihood that you will need to put your now-handicapped kid into speech therapy. But please, go ahead...it's your money.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: March 18, 2016, 10:59:00 AM »
English speakers hate this. Two languages in one head? No one can live at that speed! Good Lord, man, you’re asking the impossible!