Author Topic: Kids  (Read 285696 times)

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Kids
« Reply #1500 on: February 25, 2016, 01:09:00 PM »
My parents kept making boundaries for me and slowly worked me back to my own room. Like I couldn't sleep in the bed. Then I couldn't sleep in the room. Etc. I'm not sure what the time frame between the changes was though.

So your parents made you sleep on their bedroom floor?
Said I wasn't allowed in the bed. So I slept next to it. Then I wasn't allowed past a certain part of the floor then another part. Til they slowly worked me out of their room, down the hall, and back into my own bed. It worked very well.

So you slept in the hallway too?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: February 25, 2016, 01:10:03 PM »
Hearing is easily damaged no matter the age.

well then why would you even consider going to any movie?

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: February 25, 2016, 02:00:13 PM »
My parents kept making boundaries for me and slowly worked me back to my own room. Like I couldn't sleep in the bed. Then I couldn't sleep in the room. Etc. I'm not sure what the time frame between the changes was though.

Said I wasn't allowed in the bed. So I slept next to it. Then I wasn't allowed past a certain part of the floor then another part. Til they slowly worked me out of their room, down the hall, and back into my own bed. It worked very well.

Yes. As close as I was allowed to be to my parents.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: February 25, 2016, 02:01:38 PM »

My hearing is already damaged.  I was thinking of my son, and asking specifically about kids movies since I don't anticipate the first movie he'll see in theaters is Pulp Fiction 2.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: February 25, 2016, 02:03:05 PM »

My hearing is already damaged.  I was thinking of my son, and asking specifically about kids movies since I don't anticipate the first movie he'll see in theaters is Pulp Fiction 2.
Were you planning on banning movies as soon as he was old enough to see an action movie?

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: February 25, 2016, 02:03:37 PM »

your hearing is damaged from shooting without earplugs though and more than likely your left ear is significantly worse than your right. a stupid movie isn't going to damage anything. movie on, I say.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: February 25, 2016, 02:03:56 PM »

this is a great story. in my mind the measurements were so incremental each night that you went from your parents bed to your own bed without ever realizing you were being pushed out.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: February 25, 2016, 02:04:55 PM »

this is a great story. in my mind the measurements were so incremental each night that you went from your parents bed to your own bed without ever realizing you were being pushed out.
This is correct. It was great parenting.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: February 25, 2016, 02:05:42 PM »

your hearing is damaged from shooting without earplugs though and more than likely your left ear is significantly worse than your right. a stupid movie isn't going to damage anything. movie on, I say.
I agree

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: February 25, 2016, 02:08:58 PM »

I agree

funny side story. when my oldest son was one week old, I took him to kstate/mu the year huggins coached. one of if not the loudest games I've ever been to. he slept in his carseat the whole time.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: February 25, 2016, 02:09:14 PM »

Were you planning on banning movies as soon as he was old enough to see an action movie?

I think hearing protection is an option.  FWIW I haven't planned out exactly everything I will or won't do in the future. 

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: February 25, 2016, 02:10:08 PM »

I think hearing protection is an option.  FWIW I haven't planned out exactly everything I will or won't do in the future.

This def needs to be in the Lenexa/JOCO/OPKS Things thread.  No judgement.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: February 25, 2016, 02:11:31 PM »

I agree

funny side story. when my oldest son was one week old, I took him to kstate/mu the year huggins coached. one of if not the loudest games I've ever been to. he slept in his carseat the whole time.

I did the same thing with a 3 week old with KSU/OU football in 2011. Slept the whole time too in a baby sling. Although that game wasn't v loud after halftime.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: February 25, 2016, 02:12:54 PM »
Rick, which do you think is more potentially harmful to a kid, hearing damage at a movie theater or living in a house with a huge stockpile of guns and hunting knives and stuff like that?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: February 25, 2016, 02:13:38 PM »
How damaged are your kids after being exposed to an uncensored student section? 

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: February 25, 2016, 02:14:31 PM »
lib^7 we have a strict eyes and ears policy at casa emo!  :shakesfist:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: February 25, 2016, 02:15:48 PM »
Rick, which do you think is more potentially harmful to a kid, hearing damage at a movie theater or living in a house with a huge stockpile of guns and hunting knives and stuff like that?

well since the odds of damaging ears from a movie theater movie is zero, I'd have to go with the gun option.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: February 25, 2016, 02:21:02 PM »

well since the odds of damaging ears from a movie theater movie is zero, I'd have to go with the gun option.

http://www.hear-it.org/hearing-loss-coming-to-a-theatre-near-you-1

The Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers' was even noisier, with an average noise level of 78 dB and a peak of 95 dB. But more alarming is that the movie lasts a little over 3 hours, and that the sound level is above 80 dB for 29% of the time. This means that you are putting your ears at serious risk for around one hour while eating your popcorn and having a great time.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: February 25, 2016, 02:22:47 PM »
I'm siding with officer daris on this one

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: February 25, 2016, 02:23:11 PM »
about half the people who think they have hearing damage actually have dead insects, dust mites, etc in their ear canals which limit the effectiveness of the tympanic membrane.  i've done a shitload of studies.  the tympanic membrane is key.  supposedly they can 3d print new tympanic membranes for people born with defective ones.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: February 25, 2016, 02:23:38 PM »

http://www.hear-it.org/hearing-loss-coming-to-a-theatre-near-you-1

The Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers' was even noisier, with an average noise level of 78 dB and a peak of 95 dB. But more alarming is that the movie lasts a little over 3 hours, and that the sound level is above 80 dB for 29% of the time. This means that you are putting your ears at serious risk for around one hour while eating your popcorn and having a great time.

hint: the part that you bolded is not true.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: February 25, 2016, 02:24:47 PM »
I'm not sure who to believe, big hearing loss or a cop
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: February 25, 2016, 02:25:13 PM »
I am no cop, but:

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: February 25, 2016, 02:28:44 PM »
about half the people who think they have hearing damage actually have dead insects, dust mites, etc in their ear canals which limit the effectiveness of the tympanic membrane.  i've done a shitload of studies.  the tympanic membrane is key.  supposedly they can 3d print new tympanic membranes for people born with defective ones.

Seems like those dead insects would kind of act as ear plugs to help guard against hearing damage.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: February 25, 2016, 02:30:36 PM »
Thom Yorke!