Author Topic: Kids  (Read 272965 times)

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
Re: Kids
« Reply #1325 on: December 02, 2015, 03:36:53 PM »
Are half birthdays only for the kids who have summer birthdays and otherwise wouldn't get to celebrate with their friends at school? If so, it doesn't sound terrible at all.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: December 02, 2015, 03:38:18 PM »
I doubt the October birthday kids celebrate twice.

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: December 02, 2015, 03:40:18 PM »
That's when you start using halves and almost and just turned.

I think you're supposed to stop using halves around 10 or so

I think you should stop much sooner then that.  And who celebrates half birthdays?  I'll tell you who.  Olathe Unified School District 233 that's who.  Yep in Olathe it's considered proper to bring in treats on your kids "half-birthday"  So like the week before Thanksgiving I had to go run to Price Chopper at 10:00 at night to buy rough ridin' cupcakes for 25 third graders and you know what that means?  Three dozen cupcakes.  that's right couldn't be 24 kids in the class had to be 25 so I had to buy an extra dozen and no I didn't want the leftover cupcakes because they were shitty Price Chopper cupcakes    :curse:

You should refuse to participate.

The only kid I know that celebrates his half birthday has his real birthday on Christmas and that is still questionable.

Some parents do refuse to participate but I/we are not one of them.  While I think it's stupid and we certainly don't celebrate half birthdays at home, it was important to my daughter and it didn't hurt anything to bring in cupcakes.  It only inconvenienced me which I can live with because I'm a good dad :)
@lopakman

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: December 02, 2015, 03:42:18 PM »
Are half birthdays only for the kids who have summer birthdays and otherwise wouldn't get to celebrate with their friends at school? If so, it doesn't sound terrible at all.

No it's for everyone.  My daughter's birthday is in May (while school is still in session) So in May I will buy another three dozen cupcakes and throw 11 of them away. 10 away because I'll save one for my youngest daughter.
@lopakman

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: December 02, 2015, 03:44:39 PM »
Yeah that's dumb.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: December 02, 2015, 03:45:32 PM »

I think you should stop much sooner then that.  And who celebrates half birthdays?  I'll tell you who.  Olathe Unified School District 233 that's who.  Yep in Olathe it's considered proper to bring in treats on your kids "half-birthday"  So like the week before Thanksgiving I had to go run to Price Chopper at 10:00 at night to buy rough ridin' cupcakes for 25 third graders and you know what that means?  Three dozen cupcakes.  that's right couldn't be 24 kids in the class had to be 25 so I had to buy an extra dozen and no I didn't want the leftover cupcakes because they were shitty Price Chopper cupcakes    :curse:

You should refuse to participate.

The only kid I know that celebrates his half birthday has his real birthday on Christmas and that is still questionable.

Some parents do refuse to participate but I/we are not one of them.  While I think it's stupid and we certainly don't celebrate half birthdays at home, it was important to my daughter and it didn't hurt anything to bring in cupcakes.  It only inconvenienced me which I can live with because I'm a good dad :)

Was it truly important to your daughter, or was she worried about other kids shaming her for not bringing in cupcakes?

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: December 02, 2015, 03:46:31 PM »
It sounds like parents with kids born between Dec 24-Jan 1 or June 24-July 1 hit the sweet spot.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: December 02, 2015, 03:50:16 PM »

Is your oven broke?

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: December 02, 2015, 04:11:02 PM »
I hope not was gonna bake some sweet potatoes for dinner tonight
@lopakman

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: December 02, 2015, 04:14:33 PM »
I thought taking treats to your kids' class was not a thing anymore because half the kids are allergic to peanuts and half are gluten intolerant and half are lactose intolerant so you never know who can have what treats.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: December 02, 2015, 04:54:15 PM »

Tell wife to bake cupcakes

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: December 02, 2015, 04:55:08 PM »
I thought taking treats to your kids' class was not a thing anymore because half the kids are allergic to peanuts and half are gluten intolerant and half are lactose intolerant so you never know who can have what treats.

My kids school doesn't allow home made stuff for those reasons.  Has to be store bought and still sealed when it hits the school.  No one brings anything anymore because of that.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: December 02, 2015, 05:00:40 PM »
I think kids might make me realize how the world sucks even more than I thought it did.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: December 02, 2015, 05:11:16 PM »
Either that or your empathy for it sucking has gone up.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: December 02, 2015, 05:19:52 PM »
The Pussifacation of Emo EMAW
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1340 on: December 02, 2015, 06:24:29 PM »
Damn... Wrong thread

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: December 02, 2015, 06:25:55 PM »

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: December 02, 2015, 06:31:31 PM »

have I not shared stories of my wife's cooking failures before?

Well there was the time she made pumpkin pie and forgot to add the sugar.  Then there was also the infamous biscuits and gravy fiasco of Christmas 2006 where she thought it would be 'healthier' to use water instead of whole milk for the gravy.  Tasted like what you'd expect it to taste like....wet flour.  And bless her heart when she tried to cook me a steak and baked potato dinner and only cooked the potato it in the oven for 10 minutes 'because that's how long it takes in the microwave' Fortunately she countered out the undercooking of the baked potato by overcooking the steak.  What a wonderful combination of raw potato and a hockey puck steak that meal was.

Wanna come over for dinner sometime?
@lopakman

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: December 02, 2015, 07:22:28 PM »

Well there was the time she made pumpkin pie and forgot to add the sugar.  Then there was also the infamous biscuits and gravy fiasco of Christmas 2006 where she thought it would be 'healthier' to use water instead of whole milk for the gravy.  Tasted like what you'd expect it to taste like....wet flour.  And bless her heart when she tried to cook me a steak and baked potato dinner and only cooked the potato it in the oven for 10 minutes 'because that's how long it takes in the microwave' Fortunately she countered out the undercooking of the baked potato by overcooking the steak.  What a wonderful combination of raw potato and a hockey puck steak that meal was.

Sounds like somebody is a pretty shitty dad to me.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: December 02, 2015, 07:42:18 PM »
Heavens

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: December 02, 2015, 08:36:52 PM »

Sounds like somebody is a pretty shitty dad to me.

Gonna win 'em all!

I have two mugs that say otherwise  :tongue:
@lopakman

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: December 21, 2015, 10:55:15 AM »
Ugh.  A friend of mine gave birth to her son in a very emergency type way at 25 weeks.  Of course there were difficulties.  Poor kid has been in and out of the hospital for 2 years, mostly lung infections.  Most recently during Thanksgiving he got another infection, crashed at the hospital when they were trying to put him on a ventilator, suffered some minor brain damage, but still mostly dealing with the infections the last few weeks.  Well he finally succumbed this weekend.  Breaks my heart that they had to go through that for two years, only to have it end in tragedy. 

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1347 on: December 21, 2015, 11:07:48 AM »
Ugh.  A friend of mine gave birth to her son in a very emergency type way at 25 weeks.  Of course there were difficulties.  Poor kid has been in and out of the hospital for 2 years, mostly lung infections.  Most recently during Thanksgiving he got another infection, crashed at the hospital when they were trying to put him on a ventilator, suffered some minor brain damage, but still mostly dealing with the infections the last few weeks.  Well he finally succumbed this weekend.  Breaks my heart that they had to go through that for two years, only to have it end in tragedy.
Very sad.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: December 21, 2015, 11:10:34 AM »

I can't even imagine

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: December 21, 2015, 12:07:55 PM »
Oh crap. That sucks.