Author Topic: Kids  (Read 273108 times)

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
Re: Kids
« Reply #1000 on: May 21, 2015, 12:56:34 AM »
We're finding out the gender of our third child today.  Pretty exciting.

We decided to be surprised and not find out on the last two, but this time, we want to know up front to help better prepare our sons.

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: May 21, 2015, 06:18:02 AM »
Found out the first, not the second.  Finding out makes things easier.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: May 21, 2015, 08:09:30 AM »
Congrats to all the new soon to be parents ITT.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: May 21, 2015, 08:09:58 AM »
I loved not knowing. Will do again.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: May 21, 2015, 08:10:33 AM »

I don't see the benefit in not knowing. I see the benefit in knowing.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: May 21, 2015, 08:20:10 AM »

Steve! It was more of a stress/freaking out thing for me. Like, not knowing I couldn't think about it constantly. Dunno.

Also - I found that baby shower gifts are way better, like no clothes and junk.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: May 21, 2015, 08:25:06 AM »
We decided not to find out for our first but then we found out as soon as it was possible to find out.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: May 21, 2015, 08:33:55 AM »

The benefit to not knowing is you don't get a bunch of princess crap if it's a girl and a bunch of ugly baby blue clothes with cartoon characters playing baseball if it's a boy and no one paints the nursery some hideous color. Basically, gender neutral stuff is less tacky in general.

*This is not a benefit to everyone, obviously, but some. imo there's more benefits to knowing. Parents should do what they want.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: May 21, 2015, 08:37:15 AM »

The benefit to not knowing is you don't get a bunch of princess crap if it's a girl and a bunch of ugly baby blue clothes with cartoon characters playing baseball if it's a boy and no one paints the nursery some hideous color. Basically, gender neutral stuff is less tacky in general.

*This is not a benefit to everyone, obviously, but some. imo there's more benefits to knowing. Parents should do what they want.

I assume the parents are painting the nursery or having it painted, so they could still decide to paint it a neutral color even if they find out... :dunno:...It's not a thing for people to break in your house and paint the nursery when you tell them the sex of your baby, is it?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: May 21, 2015, 08:38:28 AM »

Steve! It was more of a stress/freaking out thing for me. Like, not knowing I couldn't think about it constantly. Dunno.

Also - I found that baby shower gifts are way better, like no clothes and junk.

Getting lots of clothes that you will need to buy anyway is pretty great. 

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: May 21, 2015, 08:39:04 AM »
Why wrap x-mas presents? You're just going to have to unwrap them later anyway.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: May 21, 2015, 08:41:15 AM »
Why wrap x-mas presents? You're just going to have to unwrap them later anyway.

If you wrap your own presents to yourself I agree, you are a pretty big idiot

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: May 21, 2015, 08:50:19 AM »
I spend half of my x-mas mornings trying to do things like unwind transformers out of titanium barbed wire bondages with my bare fingers and use bolt cutters to hack away at sheets of clear plastic that have been superfused together with technology designed by NASA for reentry.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: May 21, 2015, 08:50:58 AM »

I assume the parents are painting the nursery or having it painted, so they could still decide to paint it a neutral color even if they find out... :dunno:...It's not a thing for people to break in your house and paint the nursery when you tell them the sex of your baby, is it?
I'm trying to protect people from their own tacky ideas

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: May 21, 2015, 08:53:01 AM »
I spend half of my x-mas mornings trying to do things like unwind transformers out of titanium barbed wire bondages with my bare fingers and use bolt cutters to hack away at sheets of clear plastic that have been superfused together with technology designed by NASA for reentry.
i know those feelings. eff you mattel  :shakesfist:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: May 21, 2015, 09:16:29 AM »

You should get super faced on nog

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: May 21, 2015, 10:26:12 AM »
i know those feelings. eff you mattel  :shakesfist:
no joke, it is a good xmas or birthday if there is no bloodshed. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: May 21, 2015, 11:27:06 AM »
you know what was a frustrating thing as a parent of a little kid. those bibs that you have to put on them when they are eating all have stupid ridiculous sayings like "zero to tantrum in six seconds" or "i'm the boss". it's like hey dork bib makers, can you just make a plain blue one or maybe just a grey one with no stupid writing or monster trucks. i mean god forbid you just give me something plain to put on my child so i don't look like a complete idiot who thinks those bibs are funny or something.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: May 21, 2015, 11:33:49 AM »
Not knowing and being the first to announce when my son was born was probably the greatest feeling I have ever had.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: May 21, 2015, 11:38:56 AM »
you know what was a frustrating thing as a parent of a little kid. those bibs that you have to put on them when they are eating all have stupid ridiculous sayings like "zero to tantrum in six seconds" or "i'm the boss". it's like hey dork bib makers, can you just make a plain blue one or maybe just a grey one with no stupid writing or monster trucks. i mean god forbid you just give me something plain to put on my child so i don't look like a complete idiot who thinks those bibs are funny or something.

they have plain ones. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: May 21, 2015, 11:42:21 AM »
Not knowing and being the first to announce when my son was born was probably the greatest feeling I have ever had.
we found out with both but i almost broke my leg from jumping when we found out we were having a boy. pretty great feeling

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: May 21, 2015, 11:46:37 AM »

you can still be the "first to announce when it's born" even if you know the sex in advance.  they can't tell you the time in advance. 

not sure what you mean by first to announce honestly.  like you just said it in the room full of people that saw it for themselves?  i bet the doctor and nurses were like "yeah, no crap."  still good for you though. 

i know that a big part of my life as a father so far has been telling people really obvious crap about my kids.  #we'redads  #fuckyeah
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: May 21, 2015, 11:47:21 AM »
we found out with both but i almost broke my leg from jumping when we found out we were having a boy. pretty great feeling

would you have been bummed out if you were having a girl?

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: May 21, 2015, 11:48:24 AM »

you can still be the "first to announce when it's born" even if you know the sex in advance.  they can't tell you the time in advance. 

not sure what you mean by first to announce honestly.  like you just said it in the room full of people that saw it for themselves?  i bet the doctor and nurses were like "yeah, no crap."  still good for you though. 

i know that a big part of my life as a father so far has been telling people really obvious crap about my kids.  #we'redads  #fuckyeah

I think he means he got to say "YES! I have a boy, not a stupid worthless girl."

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: May 21, 2015, 11:48:57 AM »
yes, a lot of pretty blatant girl hating going on itt.