Author Topic: Kids  (Read 282759 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Kids
« Reply #2725 on: April 04, 2021, 02:57:56 PM »
Parents were discussing it but it was definitely led by kids looking for the school to do something. It's not much different from the Jaden Mcneil situation, really.

Jaden McNeil has done way more than stuff on social media not related to kstate.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: April 04, 2021, 03:04:03 PM »
Parents were discussing it but it was definitely led by kids looking for the school to do something. It's not much different from the Jaden Mcneil situation, really.

Jaden McNeil has done way more than stuff on social media not related to kstate.
Yeah so not much different other than it being much lower profile

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: April 04, 2021, 03:06:07 PM »
KK just curious, if one of these kids was one of your star tennis players you were coaching, what would you do? (I'm really curious, not trying to gotcha or anything)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: April 04, 2021, 03:06:20 PM »

Yeah so not much different other than it being much lower profile

If the kids zoom bombed a class at school with nazi stuff that would be equivalent, which when you think about it actually isn't the same at all.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: April 04, 2021, 03:10:55 PM »
KK just curious, if one of these kids was one of your star tennis players you were coaching, what would you do? (I'm really curious, not trying to gotcha or anything)

I assume there is an ocean of of stuff that I don't know about my students.  I care about their development and their lives, but I also think a lot of it isn't my business.  It would really depend upon how it came to my attention.  Obviously extra curricular activities are very different than school, but I don't know if I would kick the kid off the team for that.  If they did it at school or at practice or something else like that, that is completely different.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2730 on: April 04, 2021, 03:15:33 PM »

I assume there is an ocean of of stuff that I don't know about my students.  I care about their development and their lives, but I also think a lot of it isn't my business.  It would really depend upon how it came to my attention.  Obviously extra curricular activities are very different than school, but I don't know if I would kick the kid off the team for that.  If they did it at school or at practice or something else like that, that is completely different.

What if it was brought to your attention by a Jewish kid on the team who tells you this is a pattern? I don't think I'd kick the kid off the team either, but can you completely ignore it?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: April 04, 2021, 03:18:15 PM »
I would say, hey dude there’s people that are saying _________ about you. What gives?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: April 04, 2021, 03:28:57 PM »

What if it was brought to your attention by a Jewish kid on the team who tells you this is a pattern? I don't think I'd kick the kid off the team either, but can you completely ignore it?

No, I would not completely ignore it.

Let me give you my overall philosophy-
Schools get put in an impossible position when they try to hold kids accountable for behavior that occurs off-campus and is not school related.  Obviously schools deal with lots of fallout from stuff that happens outside of school and affects things at school. 

I think parents that call the school with screenshots of text messages that their children have received instead of the kids parents are ridiculous.

If it were my kids that was on the receiving end--short of threats of physical violence or something else criminal, I would leave the school out of it and would only alert the school to the extent that it was relevant (our kids sit together in math class).

Online 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: April 04, 2021, 03:36:31 PM »
Schools should absolutely not be holding children accountable for things that happen outside of school and off school grounds. eff that.
:adios:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: April 04, 2021, 03:38:23 PM »
Schools should absolutely not be holding children accountable for things that happen outside of school and off school grounds. eff that.

If we were to draw a brightline and call it a day, I'd agree with you.

But we already have crossed that line, I'm just talking about dialing it back a bit.

For instance, drug testing for extra curricular activities.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: April 04, 2021, 04:12:35 PM »

I think that's fair, but I also think it's irresponsible for a school to ignore things that are happening in its community and take no action at all (even if those actions do not explicitly punish someone). Things that happen off campus can make kids feel unsafe on campus.

I don't know the solution in this particular case, but something more proactive and thoughtful than "please don't be mean to the kids who posted themselves saluting hitler" would be nice.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: April 04, 2021, 04:14:08 PM »
also there was a recent racist zoom bombing (pretty sure it's unrelated but with all the asian hate crimes as well it just kinda adds up ya know?)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: April 04, 2021, 05:41:01 PM »
Gen x think their kids do no wrong

Millennials think their kids doing wrong is cute

This is brilliant

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: April 04, 2021, 05:54:37 PM »
how about a smart watch?  can call, text, be safe, but no internetting

The story is long but I nearly kicked a kid out of camp because his bad person mother insisted on sending him to camp with a smart watch so she can call or text him whenever she wanted. In addition to this whenever the kid had an issue or wanted something he would call or text his mom instead of talking to his counselor, then she would call my office manager. Since of course the mom had this relationship with her kid, he was Charmin soft. He called when a counselor told him he had to eat his veggies to get seconds on fries. He called when a kid called him a crybaby. He called and made up a story about another kid with a knife. I told this lunatic to keep her son's watch at home or he can't come anymore. She complained to a mother of another camper who was influential, that mother told her the same thing. She came to camp in tears to pick up the watch, not the least bit surprising, the kid did great after we got the albatross of his codependent mother off his wrist.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: April 04, 2021, 05:58:26 PM »
I remember photoshopping flyers to make it look like some students running for school president were Nazis. If that were today I fully expect that at least a dozen woke 30 year olds would be dragging me mercilessly on Twitter.

Is this a rough ridin' joke?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: April 04, 2021, 06:03:13 PM »

Calling the school to deal with stuff that happened outside of school on IG is a big part of the reason why those crap head kids were up to that nonsense in the first place.
Yep. Thinking through the dumb ignorant stuff I did as a kid, I’m not sure how you respond to that level of scrutiny without falling into a clique that just perpetuates more of the same behavior.

They were doing the Hitler salute on IG. Getting called out for that isn't some insane level of scrutiny.

Right, dude acting like that is the same as reaching through the bottom of the vending machine to steal funyuns. I don't give a eff if it was at school, at home, or at Mars. The Jewish students, the students of color, deserve to feel safe while at school. If a potential school shooter put clues on insta but he's in his bedroom, y'all just going to ignore that too?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: April 04, 2021, 06:06:09 PM »

https://abcnews.go.com/US/warning-signs-shooter-criminal-history/story?id=55349240

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: April 04, 2021, 06:08:48 PM »

Calling the school to deal with stuff that happened outside of school on IG is a big part of the reason why those crap head kids were up to that nonsense in the first place.
Yep. Thinking through the dumb ignorant stuff I did as a kid, I’m not sure how you respond to that level of scrutiny without falling into a clique that just perpetuates more of the same behavior.

They were doing the Hitler salute on IG. Getting called out for that isn't some insane level of scrutiny.

Right, dude acting like that is the same as reaching through the bottom of the vending machine to steal funyuns. I don't give a eff if it was at school, at home, or at Mars. The Jewish students, the students of color, deserve to feel safe while at school. If a potential school shooter put clues on insta but he's in his bedroom, y'all just going to ignore that too?
I am not in love with our criminal justice system, but it is better equipped to deal with investigating potential school shooters than schools. The amount of time and resources my school spends on trying to deal with social media crap that happens outside of school would probably blow everyone’s mind except for you and the kids aren’t even supposed to have their phones on them in school (a lot do).

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: April 04, 2021, 06:24:20 PM »

Are you familiar with the Streisand effect?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: April 04, 2021, 06:43:32 PM »
I remember photoshopping flyers to make it look like some students running for school president were Nazis. If that were today I fully expect that at least a dozen woke 30 year olds would be dragging me mercilessly on Twitter.

Is this a rough ridin' joke?
Says the gentleman about to drag punk kid on a message board.

Online 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2745 on: April 04, 2021, 06:49:13 PM »

https://abcnews.go.com/US/warning-signs-shooter-criminal-history/story?id=55349240
That does nothing to change my mind on this. It shouldn’t be their responsibility.
:adios:

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: April 04, 2021, 06:51:52 PM »
Gen x think their kids do no wrong

Millennials think their kids doing wrong is cute

This is brilliant

Yes.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: April 04, 2021, 07:03:56 PM »
Is there an example for the millenial statement?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Kids
« Reply #2748 on: April 04, 2021, 07:13:24 PM »
Just thinking it’s great when kids being douchy, breaking something, driving a golf cart down the street, being loud and obnoxious.

Like a no serious harm no foul attitude

« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 07:25:26 PM by Cire »

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Kids
« Reply #2749 on: April 04, 2021, 07:33:11 PM »
Look, I will be completely honest here. I was not a very good kid in HS in terms of law following. I think forgiveness and redemption is a lot better than tossing everyone out on the trash heap. But it is complicated.