Author Topic: Illinois cans Groce.  (Read 29435 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Illinois cans Groce.
« Reply #125 on: March 19, 2017, 12:26:38 AM »
Also something that we might be able to take from this is that weiberg won't be replacing the osu ad like had been possibly speculated. They were friends.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 19, 2017, 12:44:30 AM »
Amy Button Renz gotta go.

Watch your mouth, boy.

She's the common thread of suck.

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 19, 2017, 01:43:54 AM »

Offline rob mccolley

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 19, 2017, 02:26:04 AM »
Yep. Our ex-ex AD tried this strategy. We lost Self and got stuck with Weber.
the lesson people should take from this is that it's stupid to try to underpay coaches.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 19, 2017, 07:22:51 AM »
This is definitely one of my favorite basketball things from this season.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 19, 2017, 07:33:41 AM »
Underwood and Holder had preliminary discussions a few weeks ago, but an OSU source said that Underwood discovered that both Illinois and Missouri were interested in talking, giving him more negotiating leverage.

Last Monday, the day after the Cowboys were assigned to Indianapolis for a first-round NCAA Tournament game against Michigan, Holder and Underwood met. The OSU source said Holder offered $2.2 million per year and would get Underwood to $3 million after five seasons. The Big 12 average is $2.9 million for a head coach. But Underwood said he wanted $2.9 million now and would prefer $3 million.

http://m.newsok.com/article/5542248

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 19, 2017, 08:20:23 AM »
Through all this, the only thing I am really upset at Brad for is working out this deal during the tournament instead of game planning thus messing up my pick for OSU to win their first game.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 19, 2017, 08:26:23 AM »
Underwood has to know that the timing looks slimy.  The only thing he gained by announcing the deal the day after his team's tourney loss (i.e., going scorched earth on the OSU AD) was the ability to broadcast a giant middle finger to someone he obviously hated.  Childish and slightly damaging to his own reputation, but hilarious and really aggressive.  If it wasn't already abundantly clear that Brad is the effing boss, it should be now.
Solid analysis

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 19, 2017, 08:41:52 AM »
The Big 12 average is $2.9 million? Damn

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 19, 2017, 08:45:36 AM »
Underwood and Holder had preliminary discussions a few weeks ago, but an OSU source said that Underwood discovered that both Illinois and Missouri were interested in talking, giving him more negotiating leverage.

Last Monday, the day after the Cowboys were assigned to Indianapolis for a first-round NCAA Tournament game against Michigan, Holder and Underwood met. The OSU source said Holder offered $2.2 million per year and would get Underwood to $3 million after five seasons. The Big 12 average is $2.9 million for a head coach. But Underwood said he wanted $2.9 million now and would prefer $3 million.

http://m.newsok.com/article/5542248
I'm going to be here until they put me in the ground or something else happens.

lol

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 19, 2017, 09:15:32 AM »
He did give himself and out. Something else definitely happened.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 19, 2017, 09:42:32 AM »
Through all this, the only thing I am really upset at Brad for is working out this deal during the tournament instead of game planning thus messing up my pick for OSU to win their first game.

Is he not allowed to eat either? You really think basketball coaches prep for games 16 hours a day, everyday?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 19, 2017, 09:55:46 AM »

Is he not allowed to eat either? You really think basketball coaches prep for games 16 hours a day, everyday?
And really, his agent should be the one doing all the work on the deal. It isn't like Brad was hammering out incentive clause details instead of scouting Michigan.

Offline #LIFE

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 19, 2017, 10:56:24 AM »
Do you want to see the force in action? I want you all to consider the path of Brad Underwood who is now a multimillionaire.

If Underwood doesn't have Walkup at Stephen F Austin, he doesn't get the Oklahoma State gig. By all measure, he would still be floundering around down there.

If Forte and Evans did not get hurt, during Travis Ford's last year, Oklahoma State would not have had a bad record. This led to Underwood getting the Oklahoma State gig. Travis Ford's bad luck became a huge stroke of luck for Underwood.

Illinois, and pundits, look at Oklahoma State and say: "Man, what a job of coaching. Underwood completely turned that program around in one year." Nothing could be further from the truth. Oklahoma State was terrible, during Ford's last year, because their two best players were unable to play. They heal up and come back just in time for Underwood. UNDERWOOD GETS THE CREDIT FOR TURNING OKLAHOMA STATE AROUND WHEN IT HAD MORE TO DO WITH INJURIES THAN IT DID COACHING.

Someday, Underwood may go down in the books as a very good coach. Time will tell. The fact of the matter is, however, his career was jumpstarted by a great measure of good luck.

Offline wazucat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 19, 2017, 11:07:08 AM »
If I'm the AD and I've identified a coach who has "the force" it's a no brainer.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 19, 2017, 11:26:21 AM »
Do you want to see the force in action? I want you all to consider the path of Brad Underwood who is now a multimillionaire.

If Underwood doesn't have Walkup at Stephen F Austin, he doesn't get the Oklahoma State gig. By all measure, he would still be floundering around down there.

If Forte and Evans did not get hurt, during Travis Ford's last year, Oklahoma State would not have had a bad record. This led to Underwood getting the Oklahoma State gig. Travis Ford's bad luck became a huge stroke of luck for Underwood.

Illinois, and pundits, look at Oklahoma State and say: "Man, what a job of coaching. Underwood completely turned that program around in one year." Nothing could be further from the truth. Oklahoma State was terrible, during Ford's last year, because their two best players were unable to play. They heal up and come back just in time for Underwood. UNDERWOOD GETS THE CREDIT FOR TURNING OKLAHOMA STATE AROUND WHEN IT HAD MORE TO DO WITH INJURIES THAN IT DID COACHING.

Someday, Underwood may go down in the books as a very good coach. Time will tell. The fact of the matter is, however, his career was jumpstarted by a great measure of good luck.

I can sort of understand the most non-critical K-State fan's blind support of oscar, but those that go out of their way like this to discredit Brad as some justification of oscar is pretty unbelievable.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 19, 2017, 11:45:35 AM »

I can sort of understand the most non-critical K-State fan's blind support of oscar, but those that go out of their way like this to discredit Brad as some justification of oscar is pretty unbelievable.
It's amazing to me that someone thinks he was "floundering" when crushing his conference in back to back to back years.  Or that recruiting and developing players like Waklup into potential pros happened on its own.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 19, 2017, 11:50:07 AM »
Its really all that anyone who is pro-oscar can do. When I put up the charts that show his career, his time at K-State, and his postseason lack of success no one can really say anything to refute how mediocre he is. After that you only get weird justifications and the common response of "who can K-State get right now?" The mentality is so losery and small time its sickening.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 19, 2017, 12:13:00 PM »
People forget that before Kstate sucked at basketball we were really good for a long time.  It's sad we have lost the expectation of being good.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 19, 2017, 12:13:56 PM »

I definitely think he would have prepared more if he was not looking at other jobs.  I don't think that is a very controversial stance for me to take.

That said, I'm not that mad at him.  My bracket is a mess anyway.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 19, 2017, 12:20:43 PM »

I definitely think he would have prepared more if he was not looking at other jobs.  I don't think that is a very controversial stance for me to take.

Protip to catastrophe and everyone on earth: no one cares about your bracket. Stop talking about your bracket.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 19, 2017, 12:22:42 PM »
Also there are plenty of non-controversial stances that are wrong

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 19, 2017, 12:23:14 PM »
Just venting about Brad.  At least my gripe is about something that actually affects me.  :dunno:

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #148 on: March 19, 2017, 02:25:45 PM »
Just think if oscar had an nba hero like Nathan Walkup on his roster. Kstate would be stuck looking to replace a coach who got hired away to basketball utopia illinois. I, for one, am counting my blessings.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 19, 2017, 02:29:54 PM »

You have no clue how much he prepped. Why didn't you have this objection last year?