Author Topic: new AD Hire (next door neighbor dad looking guy from iowa)  (Read 115874 times)

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Re: new AD Hire (next door neighbor dad looking guy from iowa)
« Reply #650 on: April 14, 2017, 08:19:58 PM »
He looks like the Trinity Killer

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: New AD List (acceptable- weiberg, hocutt. not acceptable-veatch)
« Reply #651 on: April 14, 2017, 08:53:59 PM »

Bill isn't involved in this process

I'm not entirely sure about that. we had a committee that narrowed it down and then sent it to myers and I'm pretty sure that myers, wefald and Snyder talk to each other a decent amount.

Right, he isn't interviewing dudes though as pj insinuated.

My thought was more in line with what Daris said, and they laughed the suggestion out of the room, and not that he interviewed, but I should have been more clear.

I'm fine with this guy.  Seems competent, and NDSU has become a freaking machine.  He's starting from a good place.

I will say that this makes me feel like Chris Klieman is probably going to be on the map for next football coach, though.

So you now don't think this ad will be willing to just roll over when hiring a football coach? I'm confused.

Offline That_Guy

• I'm just, "That Guy!"
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: April 14, 2017, 09:58:10 PM »
 http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/big-12/kansas-state/article144648164.html

Guys, he yells at the refs when the team is getting hosed!

:love:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: April 14, 2017, 10:11:46 PM »

“The first game I remember him being at as my athletic director was awesome,” Miles said in a phone interview. “I’m walking behind the refs at halftime and Gene is leaned over in the stands just giving it to them, yelling, ‘You guys are awful!’ It was amazing. As I’m watching this, I’m thinking I don’t even have to do anything. My boss has got it.”

omg  :excited:

The Big Train

« Reply #654 on: April 14, 2017, 10:13:03 PM »
I'm really liking what I'm hearing about this KSU cats new AD

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: April 14, 2017, 10:18:22 PM »
next door neighbor dad looking guy confirmed

https://twitter.com/KSTATEADGT/status/493135263019700224

The Big Train

« Reply #656 on: April 14, 2017, 10:28:18 PM »
Really really liking what I'm hearing about this KSU cats new AD

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: April 14, 2017, 10:29:13 PM »
Sounds like a guy who may not like having a complete rough ridin' dork coach his basketball team.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: April 14, 2017, 10:29:33 PM »
ok.  someone let him know he has to grow a white mustache and he can stay forever.

:Ughhh:
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline mhkpasa

• Katpak'r
  • Let's go get a couple bowls of loudmouth soup
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: April 14, 2017, 10:30:50 PM »
"In addition to Amy, the search committee included: Dante Barnett '15, graduate student and former K-State football player; John Buckwalter, dean of the K-State College of Human Ecology; Suzie Fritz '02, K-State head volleyball coach; Jim Johnson '84, president and CEO of GE Johnson Construction Company; Hunter Post, K-State senior in kinesiology/pre-medicine and student member of president's advisory committee on athletics; Be Stoney, K-State associate professor of curriculum and instruction and faculty athletics representative; and Mary Vanier '89, president of Grand Mere Development"

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #660 on: April 14, 2017, 10:36:06 PM »
i just realized this is the same gene taylor that i used to work with at iowa.  small world.

Anyway, you guys are getting one of the best people that I have met in college athletics. I've only covered Iowa, but been around college athletics since 2000, when Bob Bowlsby was the AD at Iowa. Gene is just a fabulous person. Not flashy, but when it comes to substance and getting the job done, he is fantastic. He's as down to earth as they come. True Midwest guy and carries himself that way.

When he arrived, the Iowa athletic dept was in transition. Lot of older senior admins in place that were headed towards retirement. Gene, along with AD Gary Barta, basically remade the entire dept. They got rid of some dead weight that frankly wasn't very effective and Iowa needed to do better. He found some great people who have improved the production in terms of marketing and fan experience.

One thing you learn over the years is that if someone in the athletic dept isn't helping the coaches or supporting them appropriately, the word gets around. While his time was relatively short at Iowa, I never heard one coach, even off the record, say a bad word about Gene. No one in the athletic dept said a bad word about Gene. He was universally admired and respected by the coaches and everyone in the AD office. Kirk Ferentz absolutely loved Gene. He supports coaches and programs and get them what they need to compete and that doesn't always happen. He was in charge of new food for everyone that the NCAA started a few years back and that worked perfectly at Iowa because of his management.

I've talked to some folks at NDSU, where he was the AD before coming to Iowa, and they raved about him in the same manner which they did in Iowa City. His leadership helped build that program into an FCS power.

Honestly, it's been a bittersweet day for the Iowa program. I'm thrilled for Gene Taylor because he's now an AD at a great school in the Big 12. He is ready and deserves this opportunity. Having said that, Iowa is going to miss him a lot, but the athletic department is in much better shape thanks to his work.

You guys are going to really enjoy and appreciate having Gene as your AD. IMHO, this is a home run hire.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Jackstack99EMAW

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: April 14, 2017, 10:44:31 PM »
What if this guy becomes the Pat Bosco of our AD??? :Wha:

Offline lakesbison

• Dances With Wolves Aggie
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
    • BisoNation
« Reply #662 on: April 14, 2017, 11:09:37 PM »

1 year after tim miles left NDSU    we took a party bus to ndsu sdsu game.   ndsu is losing late in the game and this new coach "saul phillips" was on thin ice and Gene kept walking in and out of the arena thinking he made a big mistake.... low & behold ndsu comes rolling back as saul put on a full court press.

it was then I knew that Gene Taylor cared man
.. thats cool as hell.

1 more cool story.   im golfing with Gene, Saul & 2 boosters in a scramble in like 2012...  they asked gene what he knew about Lakesbison ..   Gene stops & says  " I learned about lakes after ndsu beat minnesota...  I get a call fron Notre Dame AD saying that he got 4-5 calls from boosters saying some dude from ndsu named lakesbison was on the message board telling us that we are afraid to schedule ndsu"  haha 
www.BisoNation.com   7 time Natl Champs

K-State is NDSU 3.0  (cuz wyoming is 2.0)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Re: New AD List (acceptable- weiberg, hocutt. not acceptable-veatch)
« Reply #663 on: April 14, 2017, 11:16:59 PM »
So this is the guy who hired NDSU's  power house coach and the basketball coach that got them to the 2nd round of the tourney a year or two ago?

well when you put it like that...
:fatty:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
new AD Hire (next door neighbor dad looking guy from iowa)
« Reply #664 on: April 15, 2017, 12:19:11 AM »
I ordered a DQ vanilla soft serve tonight.  I now call it the Gene Taylor. 

Gene Taylor: Sort of a cross between a case of Kirkland Beer and a Methodist Minister in Adeline Texas.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: April 15, 2017, 01:06:07 AM »

Gene Taylor: Sort of a cross between a case of Kirkland Beer and a Methodist Minister in Adeline Texas.
omg!!!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: April 15, 2017, 04:02:21 AM »

Dax isn't happy :surprised: compete blindside here, the guy is usually a geyser of positivity

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: April 15, 2017, 07:27:54 AM »

Nah, relax resident Tuckmigos. 

It's just simply a comment on yet another safe, extremely pedestrian hire at Kstate. 

Look at the makeup of the most notable jobs  at Kstate.   Almost every one of them is filled with people that won't be around 5 years from now and in most cases, even less. 

Let's hope our series of safe hires and relatively short timers at the top make some good hiring decisions on some key jobs and that the people they hire are comfortable with the fact the entire senior administration, possibly even this guy will likely be retired (re-retired) or nearly retired within the first term of their initial contract. 

Offline chunkles

• KSU CATS Videographer of the Week
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: April 15, 2017, 07:42:36 AM »

this is great in reverse as well. AD Soft Serve/ADSS

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: April 15, 2017, 08:58:21 AM »
I think Dax is confused between what a home run hire and what a safe hire is. :frown:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: April 15, 2017, 09:03:51 AM »
I think Dax is confused between what a home run hire and what a safe hire is. :frown:

You're saying this is a homerun hire?

Sometimes it's not easy to decipher Tuck.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: April 15, 2017, 09:07:17 AM »
Yes Dax. He put shithole NDSU on the map. Made a serious of great hires for being limited in shithole USA. I don't know wtf you wanted in a AD, but this guy hits all the check marks on paper. Sorry you're sad that we made a good hire.

Offline NDSU Lollypopkid

• servicing the good witch
  • Dances With Wolves Aggie
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: April 15, 2017, 09:13:46 AM »

1 year after tim miles left NDSU    we took a party bus to ndsu sdsu game.   ndsu is losing late in the game and this new coach "saul phillips" was on thin ice and Gene kept walking in and out of the arena thinking he made a big mistake.... low & behold ndsu comes rolling back as saul put on a full court press.

it was then I knew that Gene Taylor cared man
.. thats cool as hell.

1 more cool story.   im golfing with Gene, Saul & 2 boosters in a scramble in like 2012...  they asked gene what he knew about Lakesbison ..   Gene stops & says  " I learned about lakes after ndsu beat minnesota...  I get a call fron Notre Dame AD saying that he got 4-5 calls from boosters saying some dude from ndsu named lakesbison was on the message board telling us that we are afraid to schedule ndsu"  haha

Amazing stuff. My encounter with Gene was in Sioux Falls when NDSU took on the mighty South Dakota Coyotes at legendary Howard Frank Field. We were loading the elevator with 3 wagons of booze to go tailgate across the parking lot of our hotel.

Gene had just gotten done with his morning jog, hewas getting off the elevator on our floor and recognized EZQB right away and said "you boys are gonna have a lot of fun arent you"...I melted, we got on our elevator and there was silence of what just happened.
titletown..lulz

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: April 15, 2017, 09:19:07 AM »
Weird

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: April 15, 2017, 09:20:28 AM »
Yes Dax. He put shithole NDSU on the map. Made a serious of great hires for being limited in shithole USA. I don't know wtf you wanted in a AD, but this guy hits all the check marks on paper. Sorry you're sad that we made a good hire.

I don't understand why you're getting so mad, but you are a weird dude who thinks anything less than hyperbolic over-the-top praise of K-State is somehow putting Kstate down. 

It's a nice solid double for K-State athletics, a stand up double in fact.