Author Topic: Currie...adios!  (Read 15265 times)

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Currie...adios!
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2017, 02:41:58 PM »
I don't understand how the Weber hire got him the Tennessee job

I don't think that got him the hire, but rather running a white glove clean program, exemplified by Oscar.
I read the article and his premise was wrong. His take was Weber would win quickly and get him a job quickly. The "told you so" narrative doesn't fit when he's still here and Weber's a loser
Ah, misunderstood your position. I agree with your point.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2017, 02:46:18 PM »
I don't understand how the Weber hire got him the Tennessee job

I don't think that got him the hire, but rather running a white glove clean program, exemplified by Oscar.
I read the article and his premise was wrong. His take was Weber would win quickly and get him a job quickly. The "told you so" narrative doesn't fit when he's still here and Weber's a loser

I definitely agree with that, Currie didn't parlay it into a different job when he could have after oscar's early success, but perhaps something else Reiter said in the article is the case.

One of two things is going on with Kansas State’s athletic director.

Either John Currie is borderline incompetent at the job, with a shaky idea of how to win in a place like Manhattan, or else he’s in it for himself and would rather run off the right guy because he doesn’t like him than change his own ways in order to keep him.

If it’s the former, Currie will get his due in two or three years. Running off Martin from a place like Kansas State is a fireable offense. Being college basketball, that bill won’t come due for a few years.

But there’s always option two, which I suspect to be behind most of this: That Currie made this hire for Currie and Currie’s career. Weber has a squeaky-clean image, giving Currie some high marks with high-minded university presidents. Weber can win with Martin’s players, giving Currie a possible one- or two-year window of faux achievement. And Currie, who will never get credit for LHC Bill Snyder and didn’t have the good sense to want credit for keeping Frank Martin, finally has a hire of his own to smack on his resume and wave around to prospective employers.

Which is why I think hiring oscar Weber is entirely about John Currie and not at all about oscar Weber. K-State’s AD, having run out the right guy, now has brought in as a replacement someone perfectly built to get John Currie a job elsewhere.

Plus, Currie was still able to get the job he always wanted, maybe just a few more years later than he expected.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2017, 02:49:36 PM »
I 100% disagree with the premise that Currie made a shitty hire to make himself look good with no regard to KSU. Reiter is a dumbass.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2017, 02:53:23 PM »
I don't think Currie has thought that he made a bad hire until maybe the past month.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2017, 03:20:17 PM »
I don't think Currie has thought that he made a bad hire until maybe the past month.

The thing is, I still don't believe Currie thinks he made a bad hire.

Offline Ptolemy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2017, 03:21:01 PM »
http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/big-12/kansas-state/article135465724.html

“...the collective group of head coaches we have here rival those of any in all of college athletics..." WTF?!?!?

That's like saying a four-course prime rib dinner starting off with poop as the appetizer "collectively" rivals any other meal.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2017, 04:01:39 PM »

The thing is, I still don't believe Currie thinks he made a bad hire.

Thank God we never have to know.

Offline rob mccolley

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2017, 04:33:49 PM »
A. Congratulations you guys!
B. You're completely fukced, you guys.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2017, 04:59:33 PM »
reiter lives to hot-take k-state fans to death.  I TOLD YOU SO, K-STATE FANS!

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline #LIFE

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2017, 05:36:41 PM »
I remember it all very vividly. When K-State donors found out the previous AD was playing fast and loose with their money, they, and the fans, were in an uproar. The media had a heyday. They were eating it up because they could really dance over the grave of K-State Athletics. You would expect the media would be having the same heyday over the state of KU basketball with it's crime spree and, subsequent, cover ups. But I digress. It was big news as the media ridiculed the state of Kansas State Athletics.

Enter one John Currie. A man of principle. A man of integrity. He saved Kansas State Athletics by gaining, first of all, the trust of the big donors. He raised donations to levels unimaginable. He oversaw vast improvements in infrastructure, which all K-Staters will benefit from for years in the future.
John made one mistake. This man of integrity dared say no to a widely venerated man who had been brought in by the same regime that had been playing fast and loose with the money in the first place. The man of integrity insisted on integrity in his Athletic Department. That would be okay if a coach was a loser, like Prince. It was a death sentence when the coach had been winning with a shady DC pipeline. Currie was finished because integrity takes a back seat to winning.

A big load has been lifted from this poster. My money is staying in my pocket. From here on out, I will buy tickets on a per game basis. Donations will stop. I shall see how things develop over the coming years. If integrity remains in the program, I'll reconsider. If, however, the win at all costs mentality takes hold, I'm right where I want to be. There is a slim chance that K-State can bring in an AD, and coach, who will play honestly and provide the type of success that will please the ravenous fan base. It can be done, but there aren't a large number of coaches who could do so in a Power 5 conference. Let's hope the force is with us this time.

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2017, 05:38:53 PM »
I would probably put Kirby as my #1 as well. Then Veatch, then Weiberg.

I could happily juggle that list into any order and likely be equally as satisfied.

:ksu:
bears are fast...

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2017, 05:54:26 PM »
A. Congratulations you guys!
B. You're completely fukced, you guys.

Thanks!  And, nuh-unh.

Offline Pett

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • KLI GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2017, 06:30:04 PM »
I'm baking a cake tonight

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2017, 06:45:38 PM »
You go #LIFE   :emawkid:

Offline Ptolemy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2017, 06:54:33 PM »
It was a death sentence when the coach had been winning with a shady DC pipeline.

Refresh my memory, how many years of NCAA sanctions did we suffer for that "shady" DC pipeline association?

Offline rob mccolley

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2017, 07:28:37 PM »

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2017, 07:29:31 PM »
In that case. woo-HOO!

nuh-unh.

Enjoy it bro.  Good things for good people...

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2017, 08:44:45 PM »
incredible.  go hire the osu a.d. and underwood and this long nightmare will finally be over.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline kstofer

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2017, 10:38:45 PM »
Is Currie's departure bad for gE? If the AD office stops reading the boards, is the influence of gE diminished?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2017, 08:17:25 AM »
Is Currie's departure bad for gE? If the AD office stops reading the boards, is the influence of gE diminished?
Stock was already down unfortunately.  :frown:

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2017, 01:05:34 PM »
It's just a joke board anyway
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2017, 04:10:07 PM »
relax it's Tuesday

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2017, 08:39:02 AM »
All I could think about was Maxim No. 2 ... 'Play for and make the breaks, and when one comes your way, score,'" Currie said. "So I pulled out that pen and signed that piece of paper real fast.

Real fast!

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18809297/john-currie-introduced-tennessee-new-athletic-director

Offline Bookcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2017, 09:15:05 AM »
"The Lord gave me two ears, two eyes and one mouth for a reason," Currie said. "I've got to get around and listen and see and learn and reconnect with folks. I can't wait to start doing that."

:facepalm:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2017, 04:07:23 PM »
Did new Vols AD John Currie once tell LHC Bill Snyder to ‘sit his ass down’?

http://gridironnow.com/john-currie-bill-snyder-kansas-state-tennessee/