Author Topic: Daily Update On If oscar Weber Is Fired Yet And, If Not, Why Not  (Read 138466 times)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Daily Update On If oscar Weber Is Fired Yet And, If Not, Why Not
« Reply #1225 on: March 11, 2022, 08:47:37 AM »
It's really disappointing since we would/have never take shots at the media

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: March 11, 2022, 09:05:42 AM »
sure we all laughed when DQ_12 does his STUDS and DUDS, but we had to know our uppance was coming.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: March 11, 2022, 09:12:01 AM »
Giving nicknames to arenas really makes people stand up and take notice of you I guess.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: March 11, 2022, 09:22:52 AM »

Looking back the protest was really embarrassing.  Wish I hadn't been a part of it, but i was young and angsty and horned up for k-state sports.

it was not supposed to be a protest of oscar's hiring, I had announced we were having a rally for Doug a few days before and Currie announced the hire/press conference at the same day/time. I think the "protest" was funny and it was understandable because it came on the back of that horrific press conference with currie where he talked about the Dillon's receipt etc. It was not about oscar at all.
maybe not originally, but come on.  it eventually became quite a bit about oscar. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: March 11, 2022, 09:33:20 AM »
oscar being a giant loser was just a coincidence. Obviously it made the stance that Currie was a giant loser even more solid, as if it needed any additional data points.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: March 11, 2022, 09:36:37 AM »
oscar blaming social media after a 10 year old job and that it wasn't that bad at other jobs is pretty hilarious honestly.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: March 11, 2022, 09:55:22 AM »
oscar blaming social media after a 10 year old job and that it wasn't that bad at other jobs is pretty hilarious honestly.
It’s incredible absurdity. And it seemed like he was saying it dead seriously. lmao

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: March 11, 2022, 09:59:05 AM »
Given the quote as is, I think Huggins is comparing a non-ready made program like Kansas State against like a blue blood program or a place that's super easy to recruit to.

Like huggins thinks oscar is kindred and that neither of them got to walk into ready-made programs? 

Pulled from wikipedia:

Huggins:

Huggins was only 27 when he became a collegiate head coach at Walsh University in 1980. In three seasons at Walsh, he compiled a 71–26 record, twice earning NAIA District 22 Coach of the Year honors. Huggins directed the Walsh 1982–83 team to a perfect 30–0 regular season mark and an eventual 34–1 mark. After serving as an assistant at University of Central Florida for the 1983–84 season, Huggins was named head coach of the University of Akron. Huggins compiled a 97–46 record and reached post-season play in three of his five seasons at Akron, including an NCAA bid in 1985–86 season.

Cincinnati, while having a rich history, had fallen on hard times. Cincinnati appeared in 5 consecutive Final Fours from 1959 to 1963—and won the national championship in 1961 and 1962. By 1989, when Huggins was hired, though, the Bearcats had not earned a bid to the NCAA tournament since 1977. Even worse, Cincinnati had only one winning conference record in those 12 previous seasons. The Bearcats were invited to the NIT his first two years and then advanced all the way to the Final Four of the NCAA tournament in 1992, Huggins' third season as coach.

After spending a year out of the coaching profession, on March 23, 2006, Huggins accepted the head coaching job at Kansas State University,[14] replacing the fired Jim Wooldridge. The Wildcats had not been to the NCAA tournament since the 1995–1996 campaign and had not had a conference record better than 7–9 since the Big 12 Conference was formed in 1996. The previous three Kansas State basketball coaches (Dana Altman, Tom Asbury, and Wooldridge) had combined for a 236–232 (.504) record. In his sole season at Kansas State, Huggins coached the Wildcats to a 23–12 overall record, and a 10–6 Big 12 record. The Wildcats were not invited to the NCAA tournament but accepted an NIT bid and won one game.

On April 5, 2007, Huggins announced that he had accepted the position of head coach at his alma mater, West Virginia University. Huggins succeeded John Beilein who left to fill the same position with the Michigan Wolverines. Only nine games into the 2007–2008 season, the Mountaineers entered the AP Top 25 poll carrying a #24 ranking with an 8–1 record.

oscar:

In his five seasons at Southern Illinois, Weber led the Salukis to consecutive Missouri Valley Conference championships and NCAA tournament appearances in 2002 and 2003, including a Sweet Sixteen finish in 2002.

On April 30, 2003, Weber was hired by Illinois to replace Bill Self, who had departed from Illinois to take the head coaching job at Kansas.

On March 31, 2012, Weber was hired as head coach at Kansas State University, replacing Frank Martin, who had departed to become head coach at South Carolina.[1]

Not really much about "ready-made" in any excerpts, but lots of points made about the shittiness of the situations huggins entered, while we know the shape illinois and KSU were in when oscar entered.

If earnest, a reach by huggins.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: March 11, 2022, 10:00:42 AM »

Looking back the protest was really embarrassing.  Wish I hadn't been a part of it, but i was young and angsty and horned up for k-state sports.

it was not supposed to be a protest of oscar's hiring, I had announced we were having a rally for Doug a few days before and Currie announced the hire/press conference at the same day/time. I think the "protest" was funny and it was understandable because it came on the back of that horrific press conference with currie where he talked about the Dillon's receipt etc. It was not about oscar at all.
maybe not originally, but come on.  it eventually became quite a bit about oscar.

Of course everyone was pissed we hired someone who just got fired, but the order of how that all happened should make it clear that people were primed to be pissed at Currie almost no matter what, the fact that oscar was thrown in to the fire that day was much more about Currie than oscar. Currie is the one that hired him!

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: March 11, 2022, 10:11:38 AM »

Of course everyone was pissed we hired someone who just got fired, but the order of how that all happened should make it clear that people were primed to be pissed at Currie almost no matter what, the fact that oscar was thrown in to the fire that day was much more about Currie than oscar. Currie is the one that hired him!
we wanted our meme guy (who may have worked out, who knows), and when we didn't get our way we threw a tantrum.  it was an emotional time.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: March 11, 2022, 10:16:46 AM »
Given the quote as is, I think Huggins is comparing a non-ready made program like Kansas State against like a blue blood program or a place that's super easy to recruit to.

Like huggins thinks oscar is kindred and that neither of them got to walk into ready-made programs? 

Yeah. The context is him saying nice things about oscar. I'm not reading this much into it, but one could also take him to be kinda siding with Weber over someone like Self at a ready made program like Kansas.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: March 11, 2022, 10:19:27 AM »

we wanted our meme guy (who may have worked out, who knows), and when we didn't get our way we threw a tantrum.  it was an emotional time.

He very much lost that press conference as well, he became that meme five minutes into his tenure, total disaster.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: March 11, 2022, 10:19:45 AM »

I am 36 with 3 kids and would not do a number of things that I did then, but being embarrassed about it or apologizing for it is pathetic. We were the fuel that powered the engine of the OOD. I will never apologize for that. The athletic department works for us, not the other way around and if more people had that intensity and mentality (and I obviously lost it) then we'd be a lot better off.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: March 11, 2022, 10:20:17 AM »

He very much lost that press conference as well, he became that meme five minutes into his tenure, total disaster.

yes, he mangled every name.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: March 11, 2022, 10:28:23 AM »

I am 36 with 3 kids and would not do a number of things that I did then, but being embarrassed about it or apologizing for it is pathetic. We were the fuel that powered the engine of the OOD. I will never apologize for that. The athletic department works for us, not the other way around and if more people had that intensity and mentality (and I obviously lost it) then we'd be a lot better off.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: March 11, 2022, 10:29:44 AM »

i don't think being embarrassed about showing up to a oscar weber/john currie protest is pathetic.  nor am i apologizing for the passion that gE/_fans had, generally speaking. 

also you're only 36?  wtf?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: March 11, 2022, 10:31:35 AM »

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: March 11, 2022, 10:45:42 AM »

i don't think being embarrassed about showing up to a oscar weber/john currie protest is pathetic.  nor am i apologizing for the passion that gE/_fans had, generally speaking. 

also you're only 36?  wtf?

ouch

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: March 11, 2022, 10:54:02 AM »

Yeah. The context is him saying nice things about oscar. I'm not reading this much into it, but one could also take him to be kinda siding with Weber over someone like Self at a ready made program like Kansas.

:thumbs: Yeah, that would make sense if instead of saying a generic thing about oscar like the others did, that he thought he could take a side swipe at his own competitors in the process. Still, lol at that angle given oscar’s last 2 entry/exit positions.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: March 11, 2022, 11:35:35 AM »
Speaking of Bob man how much sitting close to the tunnel at the Big 12 watching him lumber in/out and get tossed made me miss him!

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: March 11, 2022, 11:35:38 AM »
Agree. We have two data points in a row (a “trend”), that show that oscar cannot sustain a program at the level he inherited, and left both worse than the way he found them.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: March 11, 2022, 11:36:56 AM »
Also, the high and mighty “clean program” thing just sounds like a fat ugly dude bragging about his pious chastity.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: March 11, 2022, 11:37:39 AM »
eff, I doubt even Sketchers would hook their wagon up to oscar.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: March 11, 2022, 11:55:25 AM »
Agree. We have two data points in a row (a “trend”), that show that oscar cannot sustain a program at the level he inherited, and left both worse than the way he found them.

This is ridiculous.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: March 11, 2022, 12:03:54 PM »
Yea that’s crazy he won a ship 7 years into a 10 year stint
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best