Author Topic: Daily Update On If oscar Weber Is Fired Yet And, If Not, Why Not  (Read 138350 times)

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Daily Update On If oscar Weber Is Fired Yet And, If Not, Why Not
« Reply #975 on: November 06, 2021, 11:11:17 AM »
During his post-game radio comments, Oscar said he didn't have the team run any set offensive plays. He put in a few set plays late last season and the team played better, he said, but we aren't running any now.

WTactualF?

This is straight-up coaching malpractice, but it certainly answers the question of why our offense flounders so often and devolves into throwing the ball around aimlessly until someone jacks up a bad three. It means no plays designed to get Pack an open loo, or to get Bradford the ball in the post or play off that asset.

Hearing that certainly tempered any optimism i have for the season or the program until that lump of coal is fired.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: November 06, 2021, 12:50:25 PM »
Good, he has good offensive weapons, happy to see that he won't be joysticking them and they won't be playing like uncreative brainless drones.

Did you forget how robotic the offense looks under oscar and how they don't seem to know what to do when something gets taken away?

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: November 06, 2021, 04:27:40 PM »
Good, he has good offensive weapons, happy to see that he won't be joysticking them and they won't be playing like uncreative brainless drones.

Did you forget how robotic the offense looks under oscar and how they don't seem to know what to do when something gets taken away?

I'll grant you he can't coach offense worth a lick. But maybe a little structure would help prevent excessive turnovers, panic threes as the clock runs down, players getting into each others' way and the usual costly late-game fuckups.   

The real question here is why is that dumb ass still our coach?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: November 06, 2021, 05:17:48 PM »
oscar has always had too much structure on offense if anything

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: November 06, 2021, 05:28:50 PM »
“Plays“ is different than “structure.”  Lots of basketball offenses run with rules and structure, but aren’t set “plays”
:adios:

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: November 06, 2021, 05:36:23 PM »
One of the plays should be where the little pg we have throws an alley oop dunk to Davion Bradford
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: November 06, 2021, 05:40:05 PM »
One of the plays should be where the little pg we have throws an alley oop dunk to Davion Bradford
What if they combine together and make a "super person", ya know, like kicking & screaming (I know that is a soccer film but wow could you imagine?) :sdeek:
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 11:12:29 AM by Winters »
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: November 06, 2021, 05:55:17 PM »
“Plays“ is different than “structure.”  Lots of basketball offenses run with rules and structure, but aren’t set “plays”

and you can also have "structure" that isn't "plays" that still lead to players overthinkng what they're supposed to be standing and nothing meaningful happens until Angel Rodriguez or The Flush bail the offense out by attacking the rim at the end of the shot clock.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: November 07, 2021, 07:55:43 PM »

and you can also have "structure" that isn't "plays" that still lead to players overthinkng what they're supposed to be standing and nothing meaningful happens until Angel Rodriguez or The Flush bail the offense out by attacking the rim at the end of the shot clock.

It’s the difference between being outstanding and out  standing

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: November 08, 2021, 11:23:55 AM »
Plays are for end of game, in-bounds, or to take advantage of mismatches. I agree with everyone about having a structure but avoiding oscar micromanaging, which is generally terrible.  His good teams all had PGs that can run the offense without his meddling.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: November 08, 2021, 12:20:35 PM »
Plays are for end of game, in-bounds, or to take advantage of mismatches. I agree with everyone about having a structure but avoiding oscar micromanaging, which is generally terrible.  His good teams all had PGs that can run the offense without his meddling.

But boy does he meddle! I think his micromanaging is good for the defense. not so for the offense.

Check out this awesome freelance offense ran by Scott Davenport's Bellarmine Knights. They don't shoot many threes, or do many ball screens, but space the floor and do tons of cutting and off-ball screens. They're offense remained highly efficient last season after transitioning from DII to DI, and were again one of the best FG% teams in the country (not sure about eFG).

They also don't have a player taller than 6'7" on the roster.

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: November 10, 2021, 09:39:33 PM »
Nearly all forecasters are picking us last, which is kind of puzzling given Iowa State and TCU still exist. I'll guess sixth or seventh with about 17 wins.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: November 11, 2021, 04:44:30 PM »
Nearly all forecasters are picking us last, which is kind of puzzling given Iowa State and TCU still exist. I'll guess sixth or seventh with about 17 wins.

Iowa State unanimously last place in both the preseason coaches poll and one vote short in the media poll and tcu got that other 10th place vote. We were significantly closer to 7th than 10th.

Offline rob mccolley

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: November 12, 2021, 07:54:32 AM »
Visiting this board is like a Tardis to the past.

I see from this thread that you guys are experiencing the 2007 season, except you don't have any of Billy Gillispie's recruits remaining.

Your team will score exactly 58 points per game more often than it doesn't.

Offline rob mccolley

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: November 12, 2021, 08:00:08 AM »
Oh, and because I was sitting in a Brad Underwood press conference yesterday, I can tell you that he actually mentioned the fan experience of watching entertaining basketball.

Brooth still thinks of the game as something that must be endured.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #990 on: November 12, 2021, 09:16:46 AM »
Your words hurt Rob, mostly because they're true

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: November 12, 2021, 09:26:59 AM »
in a Brad Underwood press conference yesterday, I can tell you that he actually mentioned the fan experience of watching entertaining basketball.

:frown:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: November 12, 2021, 09:56:48 AM »
Winning basketball games is fun basketball. No one said a damn thing about fun when we averaged 60 points a game during the elite eight run. We scored more points against Loyola Chicago than we did against Kentucky. Which of those games was more fun? BTW K-State also scored more points against Loyola Chicago than Illinois.

In 2019 when we won a conference championship we were 98th in adjusted offense and 339th in adjusted tempo. Brad Underwood's fun Illinois squad was 83rd in adjusted offense and 52nd in tempo, they went 12-21.

It's been a decade since oscar got fired from Illinois, he's greatly outperformed the like 8 coaches they've had in that time. I'll be damned if I let these clowns come over here and try to flex on us. Win something then talk.

oscar can't hear any of this because he has two Big 12 championship rings plugging his ears.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: November 12, 2021, 10:47:27 AM »
holy crap we were 9-20 last year?  :sdeek:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: November 12, 2021, 10:50:45 AM »
:lol:

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: November 12, 2021, 10:51:43 AM »
Happy for Brads success, we were his dream school so he’ll always be a wildcat to me.

Offline rob mccolley

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: November 12, 2021, 11:41:50 AM »
 :dubious:

Mr. Rain's we/they viewpoint is not uncommon in the sports world, of course. But I think most of you Emaws understand that I'm not here for an out-group turf war.

But just FYI Rain, Brad did win* the Big 10 last year, and its tournament.

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: November 12, 2021, 12:06:13 PM »
:dubious:

Mr. Rain's we/they viewpoint is not uncommon in the sports world, of course. But I think most of you Emaws understand that I'm not here for an out-group turf war.

But just FYI Rain, Brad did win* the Big 10 last year, and its tournament.

i don't understand why you are here

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #998 on: November 12, 2021, 01:40:47 PM »
I like it when posters from other schools visit.

Offline SimoHayha

• Fan
  • I'm just here to get B r u c e Weber fired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: November 12, 2021, 01:49:24 PM »
Winning basketball games is fun basketball. No one said a damn thing about fun when we averaged 60 points a game during the elite eight run. We scored more points against Loyola Chicago than we did against Kentucky. Which of those games was more fun? BTW K-State also scored more points against Loyola Chicago than Illinois.

In 2019 when we won a conference championship we were 98th in adjusted offense and 339th in adjusted tempo. Brad Underwood's fun Illinois squad was 83rd in adjusted offense and 52nd in tempo, they went 12-21.

It's been a decade since oscar got fired from Illinois, he's greatly outperformed the like 8 coaches they've had in that time. I'll be damned if I let these clowns come over here and try to flex on us. Win something then talk.

oscar can't hear any of this because he has two Big 12 championship rings plugging his ears.

I dunno why we flex with shared titles followed by .500 (or worse seasons) and an early exit in the round of 64... That is beyond embarrassing in my eyes. But KSU fans will keep those shared titles with KU during their down years and hold them as high as they can while we have mediocre coach. That elite 8 run was the worst thing to happen, because it was a terrible excuse to give oscar an extension.

We failed Brad Underwood twice. He needs to come home soon. Can't let the boomers in here hold him back, sad!
okie dokie artichokie