Author Topic: Daily Update On If oscar Weber Is Fired Yet And, If Not, Why Not  (Read 135106 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: Daily Update On If oscar Weber Is Fired Yet And, If Not, Why Not
« Reply #325 on: March 16, 2017, 07:23:39 PM »
You seemed like maybe it occurred to you that they do what message board posters say, because otherwise I have no idea what you were upset about.

upset? not in the slightest.  maybe you missed the part where several people were advocating that oscar get fired immediately.  i was simply providing the reasons why we don't want that to happen.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 16, 2017, 07:27:24 PM »
I did miss that.  Though, I will literally be OK with any scenario that removes that rough rider, so I am not your target audience I suppose.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 16, 2017, 07:34:19 PM »
Unfortunately I think currie has double mumped us on oscar
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 16, 2017, 08:46:09 PM »
You seemed like maybe it occurred to you that they do what message board posters say, because otherwise I have no idea what you were upset about.

upset? not in the slightest.  maybe you missed the part where several people were advocating that oscar get fired immediately.  i was simply providing the reasons why we don't want that to happen.

we don't? If he got fired in the middle of the starting lineup intros tomorrow night I'd be over the moon, I'm guessing I'm far from alone.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 16, 2017, 11:34:59 PM »
It's been well reported that coaches generally don't like being approached if someone has the job currently.

Do you believe them when they say that? I don't. They love having their ego stroked and are smart enough to know which jobs have some likelihood of being open.

If I were a coach I would rather take over a program in good enough shape that they won't fire their sitting coach unless they had the right coach (me) lined up. Wouldn't you rather take over for oscar than Kim Anderson?

Gun to my head, I bet they love be approached about jobs at anytime.  That's because I suspect that most of them are human beings, and not not human beings.

they don't like it when it becomes public, because that impacts how their school's fans feel about them which impacts their job security.  they like it as long as it isn't public.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: March 17, 2017, 12:19:30 AM »

It's been well reported that coaches generally don't like being approached if someone has the job currently.

Do you believe them when they say that? I don't. They love having their ego stroked and are smart enough to know which jobs have some likelihood of being open.

If I were a coach I would rather take over a program in good enough shape that they won't fire their sitting coach unless they had the right coach (me) lined up. Wouldn't you rather take over for oscar than Kim Anderson?

Gun to my head, I bet they love be approached about jobs at anytime.  That's because I suspect that most of them are human beings, and not not human beings.

they don't like it when it becomes public, because that impacts how their school's fans feel about them which impacts their job security.  they like it as long as it isn't public.

Yes

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 17, 2017, 04:52:06 AM »

Yes

Good points.  Agreed.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 17, 2017, 06:55:42 AM »

Unless it's a conference championship, where you finish in conference means nothing without a tournament run.

That's just my opinion, but you are dumb if you disagree with it.

what does a tournament run mean if you don't win the championship?

A tourney run means a lot because people believe it means a lot. Just like the dollar bills in the coach's pockets.
That's a good point for a sitting P5 coach. But not really relevant when evaluating candidates for open P5 positions. John Groce immediately comes to mind.

Having sweet 16s or better means a hell of a lot for the coaching market! Look at brad underwood, or even better, Shaka Smart. Shaka to VCU didnt happen because of VCU regular seasons (and look those up by the way).

As long as that is the currency of the market, you better know it. If your point is that we should look for diamonds in the rough, then I guess I'd like to see a few names of coaches to look at that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 17, 2017, 07:53:22 AM »
at this point i'd be surprised if they canned oscar no matter the result.  it'd be a pretty gutsy move by a transitional AD.

Why would it be gusty? The fan base isn't clamoring for him to stay, not that it's going to be the acting ADs unilateral decision anyway.

You were just talking about how coaching candidates would dislike if a school gauges their interest before firing their current coach, but you think they would be comfortable with a school that fired a coach after finishing several spots above preseason expectations and winning a tournament game?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 17, 2017, 08:24:41 AM »

Unless it's a conference championship, where you finish in conference means nothing without a tournament run.

That's just my opinion, but you are dumb if you disagree with it.

what does a tournament run mean if you don't win the championship?

A tourney run means a lot because people believe it means a lot. Just like the dollar bills in the coach's pockets.
That's a good point for a sitting P5 coach. But not really relevant when evaluating candidates for open P5 positions. John Groce immediately comes to mind.

Having sweet 16s or better means a hell of a lot for the coaching market! Look at brad underwood, or even better, Shaka Smart. Shaka to VCU didnt happen because of VCU regular seasons (and look those up by the way).

As long as that is the currency of the market, you better know it. If your point is that we should look for diamonds in the rough, then I guess I'd like to see a few names of coaches to look at that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh I think AD's should be aware of what a tourney run does to a coach's value but not hire a coach based on such runs, because luck is a much larger factor in 1-2 games. It's not about finding diamonds in the rough, it's about avoiding mistakes like John Groce. (I keep repeating him because he's the only one I can come up with off the top of my head)

What made Underwood a great candidate was how he dominated his conference for three seasons, not his single win over West Virginia. Scoring one more basket over Notre Dame would have been completely irrelevant to Underwood's ability to build a program.

Kevin Keatts is an example of someone who may be undervalued because of no NCAA wins, even though he took over a shitty program and won conference regular season titles in years 2 and 3. Just one win would make him a lot more valuable on the market (at least in the eyes of the media, which also influences the market). I also think a guy like Dan Muller at Illinois state will be way undervalued because he didn't make the tournament at all (and went 17-1 in conference!) His conference record has improved every year as well. There's likely others out there.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 17, 2017, 08:30:00 AM »
what program did brad build?  because it wasn't SFA's program by any stretch

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 17, 2017, 09:08:48 AM »

Who said he built a program? I just said his NCAA tournament record had nothing to do with his ability to do so.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 17, 2017, 09:41:47 AM »

Who said he built a program? I just said his NCAA tournament record had nothing to do with his ability to do so.

What made Underwood a great candidate was how he dominated his conference for three seasons, not his single win over West Virginia. Scoring one more basket over Notre Dame would have been completely irrelevant to Underwood's ability to build a program.

so i guess your point was that what made underwood a great candidate was that he didn't nosedive his program?  he took over a program loaded with talent, at the top of its league, and who's previous coach just got promoted to a bigger school and then kept it there for 3 seasons.  this is what made him a great candidate?

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 17, 2017, 09:43:08 AM »
What do you called canned Oscar?  Libby, as is in a can of vienna sausages.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 17, 2017, 09:49:30 AM »

so i guess your point was that what made underwood a great candidate was that he didn't nosedive his program?  he took over a program loaded with talent, at the top of its league, and who's previous coach just got promoted to a bigger school and then kept it there for 3 seasons.  this is what made him a great candidate?

I probably should have said "good" instead of "great".

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 17, 2017, 02:14:43 PM »
great is correct.  he took over a goodish program and made it historically great.  and he really just inherited the one player whose brother played for a&m (for years 2&3).
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 17, 2017, 02:44:43 PM »
The goal of a program is to string together wins in March.  While I agree that NCAA wins can be overvalued in a coaching search it should definitely be a consideration.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 17, 2017, 03:22:47 PM »
great is correct.  he took over a goodish program and made it historically great.  and he really just inherited the one player whose brother played for a&m (for years 2&3).
but he lost in the first round today, are the measures moving?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 17, 2017, 04:07:16 PM »
but he lost in the first round today, are the measures moving?

Narratives must fit the narratives.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #344 on: March 17, 2017, 04:12:18 PM »
No more FWN!

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: March 17, 2017, 04:14:20 PM »
No more FWN!

At this point it's whatever, but I've resigned myself that oscar is back next year.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #346 on: March 17, 2017, 04:28:05 PM »
Scripts

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 17, 2017, 04:53:36 PM »
Scripts

Well, oscar had to go and change the script from what was assumed.

It looked so much like the 12 script for so long, but then oscar somehow morphed this team to fit a combo of 07 & 11.

Unexpected.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 17, 2017, 05:33:33 PM »
at this point i'd be surprised if they canned oscar no matter the result.  it'd be a pretty gutsy move by a transitional AD.

Why would it be gusty? The fan base isn't clamoring for him to stay, not that it's going to be the acting ADs unilateral decision anyway.

You were just talking about how coaching candidates would dislike if a school gauges their interest before firing their current coach, but you think they would be comfortable with a school that fired a coach after finishing several spots above preseason expectations and winning a tournament game?

Find me the absolute loser unwilling to follow a guy who's .500ish and only has one post season win, which happens to be in the first four, in five years. That's not even noteworthy at a mid major.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 17, 2017, 06:12:24 PM »
If Marcus had "new phone, who dis'd" him and ended up staying, where would KSU hoops be today?