Author Topic: They think we'll be good  (Read 13398 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: They think we'll be good
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2012, 03:36:43 PM »
If you land a crap load of highly rated players and can't make the tournament with them, you did a poor job recruiting.

Or a poor job coaching.  Or both. 

Yeah. I think we can all agree that he completely failed no matter how you look at it. Well, we should.

Offline AzCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2012, 03:40:12 PM »
If you land a crap load of highly rated players and can't make the tournament with them, you did a poor job recruiting.

Or a poor job coaching.  Or both. 

Yeah. I think we can all agree that he completely failed no matter how you look at it. Well, we should.

Not completely but his performance was definitely subpar.  Not awful every time out but not a perennial NCAA Tournament participant either (which, BTW, should be the floor for expectations at KSU). 

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2012, 04:32:05 PM »
Already pointed out, but Angel's gotta stay.

It's either that or Gruds' improves his handle beyond belief.

The odds of finding an immediate impact PG at this stage of the game are not high.

So a plea from anybody who gives a crap about KSU hoops, please stay Angel.

Offline DoyleLonnegan

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2012, 05:38:53 PM »

Those 4 guys were from Chicago.  If oscar Weber is able to recruit Illinois the way he recruited Illinois at Illinois you will NEVER hear me complain about his recruiting. 

Recruiting in Chicago is really weird in that oscar himself will be seen as more palatable now that he's not at Illinois. I know that seems counterintuitive, but there's a screwed up set of expectations that accompany the University of Illinois when it appears in and around the city. Certain coaches believe certain players are entitled to "looks" since they're home state talent, others think Illinois has to do more to "prove" why a kid should stay home, others get bogged down in whether certain high schools are being shown preferable treatment, etc. If there were such a thing as a quadruple-edged sword for us, this would be it.

Things get simpler for oscar now. He's an outsider coming in and (hopefully, for your sake) offering up the chance to come to the Big XII and be the man (this was another problem of his, btw - he would always refuse to blow sunshine on kids while recruiting them and really hold the line on things like "you'll have to earn your spot"; yeah, we get it, oscar, but that goes over like a lead balloon in a living room, ok?). It's a little more cut-and-dried for him, at least in Illinois, I think.

Offline HarkCat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2012, 09:59:42 PM »
Doyle

I heard Illinois has higher academic requirements than most D1 schools. Know anything about that?

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2012, 10:27:37 PM »

Maybe he should have recruited a balanced team, then.

I will concede the idea about poor recruiting management.  Clearly, it's a flawed strategy to roll in 5-6 FR every 3-4 years.  The resulting 2 seasons of mediocrity speak for themselves.  07-08 and 11-12 were abysmal. 

But, that 06-07 recruiting class (balanced 2(G), 2(F), 1(C))went on to 2 NCAAs and 1 NIT and 2nd, 4th, 5th place finishes in the Big10.  Very Frankesque performance. 

The 2010-2011 was a top-25 recruiting class.  and balanced.  1(PG) 2(SF), 1(PF), 2(C).  We'll see how they do in the next 3-4 years.  They'll probably be pretty successful. 

Look, I'm not saying BW is Coach K.  I'd clearly rather have Frank.  But, you guys are melting down about how this guy is Jim Wooldridge or Tom Asbury and will return this program to the dark ages. 

I just think his track record is a bit better than that.  He's been a good coach.  good recruiter.  poor recruiting management.  Wooldrige and Asbury were terrible in all facets.     

Why would you clearly have Frank?  Doesn't make sense to me if you can get the same coach (in your opinion) without the stuff you hate about Frank.

Offline DoyleLonnegan

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2012, 10:38:01 PM »
Doyle

I heard Illinois has higher academic requirements than most D1 schools. Know anything about that?

I think we're pretty rigid with academics. I don't know if it's actual higher standards or just not making as many exceptions, but there's definitely been consistent talk of us having concerns in instances where some other schools don't. Sorry I don't know more of the specifics.

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
Re: Re: They think we'll be good
« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2017, 10:19:36 AM »
If people stay, we probably will be.

People here are just having a hard time seeing that through the butt hurt.

Bullshit. Most people know we'll be pretty good next year and probably the year after that. But it's fairly obvious that Currie didn't give a crap beyond that, which is why there is so much butthurt.

The fact that he mentioned how important it us to win with these seniors speaks volumes. He can't/won't recognize how much more important AR-T and Gip are to the program compared to JO and Rodney.

The article was talking about next year.  Some people are being fatalists about next year, when we will be good.

I have no idea how the future will go, but people are letting their anger get in the way of looking at anything objectively, which includes the fact that if people come back next year, we will win.

Don't turn my comment into anything more than a observation on next year.  I have no idea what the future holds beyond that.

:facepalm:

try to pay attention.

please.

we will be good. 

there will be a bunch or tuck based "told you so". 

we will prolly give him an extension/raise.

then we will begin the slow steady descent to crap.

tucks will defend crap because he sure is a nice fella/mow's his grass/coupons

6 years from now we will suck be strapped with a crap roster and have to start over.

:bawl:

:Crybaby:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2017, 10:45:05 AM »
I don't think he's Wooly or Asbury.  I think he's Altman (in two years).

I'll admit, I threw him in with Wooly and Asbury and it wasn't fair. I think it's likely he'll be better than all 3.

Welp.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2017, 11:11:42 AM »

I'll admit, I threw him in with Wooly and Asbury and it wasn't fair. I think it's likely he'll be better than all 3.

Welp.

This needs to be shared with the world.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 26, 2017, 11:13:19 AM »

Welp.

This needs to be shared with the world.

Anyone and everyone, feel free to share it as much as you want. I just tweeted it out this morning too.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 26, 2017, 11:34:17 AM »
kstate is a coaches graveyard.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
They think we'll be good
« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2017, 11:47:41 AM »
kstate is a coaches graveyard.

Factor in an alum staying only 4 years and leaving before those guys, and yeah it's pretty much true.