Author Topic: Askia Jones 62 point game  (Read 10202 times)

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Askia Jones 62 point game
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2020, 03:15:00 PM »
Went to this game with my gramps when I was the tender age of eight years old. Gramps was a cool dude, played on the freshman football squad at K-State in the early 50s. He also swears he played something called night basketball, because you couldn't play two varsity sports at the time, apparently they had a team for players that were better than your average rec league guys. Now, this sounded like total bullshit, and I can't find any record of it, but he was a straight shooter, so I give him the benefit of the doubt. He tells a good story of Tex Winter when he first got to K-State as an assistant. He was walking by the pole vaulters one day on his way to basketball practice (tex was) and they were all rough ridin' around trying to jump a height that was pretty improbable, even for D1 athletes. Tex strolls by, takes off his shoes, grabs a pole and rough ridin' clears it by like six inches. Hands the pole back to the whipper snappers he showed up, puts his shoes back on and heads to practice. Anyway, Ski was out of his gourd that evening. One of my favorite memories with one of my favorite people.

Also, my grandpa would have rough ridin' hated oscar Weber. If his heart hadn't already have gotten him, watching oscar would have killed him anyway. It's best he went before Frank got run.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2020, 03:17:35 PM »
great story shared by the best la croix. thanks pamplemousse.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2020, 03:26:03 PM »
You're welcome, doctor.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2020, 10:34:19 PM »
My bro was there. I think he still has the ticket.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2020, 10:51:45 PM »
Maybe it was mentioned earlier in this thread but I haven't gone back for a re-read; if you go back and review footage of this game you can look closely and see two elementary school versions of current posters on this blog sitting behind the south basket. :fiestapeek:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2020, 09:31:23 AM »
I know I have that poster in a box somewhere. I may be able to dig it up.