Author Topic: hiking  (Read 11645 times)

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: hiking
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2017, 12:33:17 PM »
Get yourself a nice Army rucksack and go barefoot.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2017, 02:42:23 PM »
I hike many miles in my Altra Lone Peaks - low top trail runner.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2017, 03:21:49 PM »
I wear my old air max running shoes that already have a rip in the fabric part.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2017, 03:26:09 PM »
I would try a low top if they made one with a stiff/Vibram kinda sole.  I'm betting someone makes one but my boots have many miles left so haven't researched.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2017, 05:15:04 PM »
Tennis shoes are plenty good for most hikes. If the trails are generally rough and rocky, get something with a thicker sole. Get a camelback - they're worth it. I second the advice about second hand. I've gotten some sweet deals in the Cabelas Bargain Cave and Craigslist.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2017, 05:31:04 PM »
Second hand packs are great. Replacement bladders are cheap too. No need to second hand that. :-P

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2017, 11:47:07 PM »
Thanks for the tips so far, all.

I like the look of those Altra's, just worried about ankle support for serious trails. However, I need a new pair of trail runners, so maybe a 2 for 1... ?

And on the packs, I tried a few Deuter ones on while we were in Germany and loved everything about them. May have to look for a second hand one as suggested!

Thanks!

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2017, 12:03:23 AM »
Been looking into getting some hiking boots and a good pack as the gf can't do much trail running due to an IT band injury. So we're planning on lots of day/weekend hikes and camping this Spring. Tons of serious terrain, so I want something quality, but cant be dropping half a grand on boots/pack.

Any tips/links would be great, TIA.

What is an IT band injury?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2017, 12:16:27 AM »
Been looking into getting some hiking boots and a good pack as the gf can't do much trail running due to an IT band injury. So we're planning on lots of day/weekend hikes and camping this Spring. Tons of serious terrain, so I want something quality, but cant be dropping half a grand on boots/pack.

Any tips/links would be great, TIA.

What is an IT band injury?

It's rough ridin' awful is what it is. Runner's Bane. The only way I got rid of mine was foam rolling and taking about 8 weeks off running. Not sure that any special gear is gonna help.

Now I do more hip stretches which is supposed to help stave it off.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2017, 12:38:07 AM »
Ok but what is it

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2017, 04:22:40 AM »
Ok but what is it

"Iliotibial Band Syndrome (ITBS) is one of the most common overuse injuries among runners. It occurs when the iliotibial band, the ligament that runs down the outside of the thigh from the hip to the shin, is tight or inflamed. The IT band attaches to the knee and helps stabilize and move the joint. When the IT band isn’t working properly, movement of the knee (and, therefore, running) becomes painful. IT band pain can be severe enough to completely sideline a runner for weeks, or even longer."

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2017, 05:53:22 AM »

I like the look of those Altra's, just worried about ankle support for serious trails. However, I need a new pair of trail runners, so maybe a 2 for 1...

Thanks!
I've rolled my ankles in boots. I would only have boots for winter wear.

As you, I also trail run. The Altra has been a great trail shoe.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2017, 06:22:29 AM »
Alot of people get killed and also they digitally removed Amy adams's' nipples?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2017, 06:23:11 AM »
Alot of people get killed and also they digitally removed Amy adams's' nipples?
Oops!

I like the look of those Altra's, just worried about ankle support for serious trails. However, I need a new pair of trail runners, so maybe a 2 for 1...

Thanks!
I've rolled my ankles in boots. I would only have boots for winter wear.

As you, I also trail run. The Altra has been a great trail shoe.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2017, 06:58:05 AM »
I like the look of those Altra's, just worried about ankle support for serious trails. However, I need a new pair of trail runners, so maybe a 2 for 1... ?

And on the packs, I tried a few Deuter ones on while we were in Germany and loved everything about them. May have to look for a second hand one as suggested!

You'll have more fun of you tackle difficult trails. For those, turning ankles comes with the territory. I have no doubt that ankle support has spared me a good deal of pain and maybe even serious injury. The soles of running shoes also don't provide nearly as much traction for things like steep, rocky inclines.

For just day hiking, any shoes or packs that are comfortable should be fine. I've been using a very medium quality High Sierra brand pack that I got for free from a previous employer for years. I've never been crazy about it, but it works totally fine.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2017, 08:35:14 AM »
Lone Peaks are knobby and do great on rocks. Flexible but have a nice rock plate to protect the sole. Just not a boot guy unless I'm in the snow.

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2017, 09:09:58 AM »
Lone Peaks are knobby and do great on rocks. Flexible but have a nice rock plate to protect the sole. Just not a boot guy unless I'm in the snow.

Was looking into these immediately after you mentioned Altra's. May be trying a pair on soon...

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2017, 09:41:17 AM »
I love my doc martens. Maybe give him a call. They stand the test of time and you get to feel like a boss. They also weigh a zillion pounds so it's a work out

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2017, 09:45:51 AM »
I would try a low top if they made one with a stiff/Vibram kinda sole.  I'm betting someone makes one but my boots have many miles left so haven't researched.

Vibram will actually sole any shoe/boot you send them. If you ever need that kind of thing.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2017, 05:42:48 PM »

Vibram will actually sole any shoe/boot you send them. If you ever need that kind of thing.

Well but they can't modify the shank can they?  Or maybe they can sneak a stiffer shank in between the two soles? 

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2017, 07:49:35 PM »
I second the recommendation on Altras.  I'm on my second pair of Lone Peaks and use them for trail running, serious hiking, overnight backpacking, and everything in between.  Their is a mid-height Lone speak now if you prefer that.  Also check out the new King MT.  They look like they're a little beefed up.  Unless you're carrying a heavy pack, you shouldn't need a boot.  But do what's best for you.

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2017, 09:22:22 PM »

Well but they can't modify the shank can they?  Or maybe they can sneak a stiffer shank in between the two soles?

Not sure about a new shank, but check out the site, and there's a dealer locator on there. I found 2 shops that have authorized Vibram Cobblers within 15 mins of me here in BFE West Virginia. Gotta be someone close to wherever you are.

https://us.vibram.com/company/education/sole-factor/

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2017, 09:23:50 PM »
Red River Gorge tomorrow! Haven't been on a day hike with the family in a few months.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2017, 03:07:47 PM »
Isle Royale in Lake Superior is great if you want to take off on a 4 to 7 day backpacking trip.  Very scenic, wolves and moose on the island.  You have to take a 6 hour ferry ride each way to get there, so it's not overly crowded.  Loved the 4 day backpacking trip I took with Mrs. Deputy Dawg last summer.  Be prepared for temps in the 40's at night (water in Lake Superior is like 42 degrees).

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2017, 09:06:16 PM »
Loons man!