Author Topic: I think I need glasses....  (Read 5432 times)

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Re: I think I need glasses....
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2015, 11:54:16 AM »
the best thing about wearing glasses is constant eye protection.

in the 5 years i have been wearing glasses full time i have probably been saved from dozens of horrific eye injuries

They work for some people, and they don't for others.

Like I said, they fit my personality.  So, my full rim glasses generally go well with my constant 5 o'clock shadow and Sci-fi show t-shirt paired with Chuck Taylor's.  It goes well with geek chic.

when you're squintin', I'm transitionin'. what could go better with your personality than real life nanotech?

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2015, 12:08:49 PM »
T1BW, I reread your original post and it's quite possible you were drinking/drunk/hung over.  Headaches, fatigue, falling asleep easily, double vision.  Those are all common symptoms of over-paking.

This could be a cause. If symptoms persist post glasses I will need to re-evaluate my imbibing habits.
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2015, 12:09:25 PM »
I've worn glasses since I was 14.  I had contacts in high school and hated them, and glasses fit my personality, so I roll with it.

Your eye doctor will try to get you to buy glasses in their shop.  If they have a good selection, and you find a pair you like, get them.  If you don't like any of them, and let's be honest, most eye doctors have bad selections in their office, ask for your prescription and go to Lens Crafters.  They have all of the good brands.  Ray Ban, Prada, Oakley, Ralph Lauren, Burberry, etc.  I'm a Ray Ban guy, personally.

Use your insurance.  Check your insurance to see what allowances they give you on frames, lenses, etc.  Wherever you plan on buying glasses, make sure they take your insurance before you go there and waste your time.

Get poly-carbonate lenses.  Full rim is in.  Under no circumstance get the Transitions lenses.  There is no situation where those look cool.  My wife got them for my five year old son, and it drives me crazy.  Every picture with a flash makes him look like Ray Charles for eternity.

Thanks Pan... just back from the ol' eye doctor. The Doc was EMAW... so I just did whatever he said... I got some full rim RayBans that I will only have to wear while reading/working in front of screens.  He said it will take the strain off my eyes for focusing and I should feel much better after work and get rid of the headaches.  No transition lenses... lol.  I pick them up in two weeks... Insurance covered pretty much everything and I was out only 100 bucks for the frames/lenses/anti glare/etc...    Will update in two weeks on how much ribbing I take from all the youngsters.

You won't take much abuse.  I generally get a compliment at least once every week or two on my glasses.  Usually from twenty-somethings (not that I'm fishing for it).

These are the ones I have.  Both my glasses and Wayfarer's are tortoise. 

http://www.ray-ban.com/usa/eyeglasses/RX7050-rb7050-black/8053672402520

http://www.ray-ban.com/usa/sunglasses/RB2132%20unisex%201-new%20wayfarer%20classic-tortoise/805289048534

I went with these... if they suck I'll break them and get different set.

http://www.ray-ban.com/usa/eyeglasses/RX7025-rb7025-black/8053672243970
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2015, 01:07:02 PM »
I've worn glasses since I was 14.  I had contacts in high school and hated them, and glasses fit my personality, so I roll with it.

Your eye doctor will try to get you to buy glasses in their shop.  If they have a good selection, and you find a pair you like, get them.  If you don't like any of them, and let's be honest, most eye doctors have bad selections in their office, ask for your prescription and go to Lens Crafters.  They have all of the good brands.  Ray Ban, Prada, Oakley, Ralph Lauren, Burberry, etc.  I'm a Ray Ban guy, personally.

Use your insurance.  Check your insurance to see what allowances they give you on frames, lenses, etc.  Wherever you plan on buying glasses, make sure they take your insurance before you go there and waste your time.

Get poly-carbonate lenses.  Full rim is in.  Under no circumstance get the Transitions lenses.  There is no situation where those look cool.  My wife got them for my five year old son, and it drives me crazy.  Every picture with a flash makes him look like Ray Charles for eternity.

Thanks Pan... just back from the ol' eye doctor. The Doc was EMAW... so I just did whatever he said... I got some full rim RayBans that I will only have to wear while reading/working in front of screens.  He said it will take the strain off my eyes for focusing and I should feel much better after work and get rid of the headaches.  No transition lenses... lol.  I pick them up in two weeks... Insurance covered pretty much everything and I was out only 100 bucks for the frames/lenses/anti glare/etc...    Will update in two weeks on how much ribbing I take from all the youngsters.

You won't take much abuse.  I generally get a compliment at least once every week or two on my glasses.  Usually from twenty-somethings (not that I'm fishing for it).

These are the ones I have.  Both my glasses and Wayfarer's are tortoise. 

http://www.ray-ban.com/usa/eyeglasses/RX7050-rb7050-black/8053672402520

http://www.ray-ban.com/usa/sunglasses/RB2132%20unisex%201-new%20wayfarer%20classic-tortoise/805289048534

I went with these... if they suck I'll break them and get different set.

http://www.ray-ban.com/usa/eyeglasses/RX7025-rb7025-black/8053672243970

Solid choice.  I like my spring hinges with as much as I wear them (16-20 hours a day), so I went with something full rim but with a lighter side.

The Big Train

« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2015, 01:34:07 PM »
the best thing about wearing glasses is constant eye protection.

in the 5 years i have been wearing glasses full time i have probably been saved from dozens of horrific eye injuries

Jesus Christ  :lol:

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2015, 01:34:55 PM »
  :confused: that is a very practical and non hilarious benefit  :confused:

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2015, 04:20:02 AM »
Taking advice from people who wear glasses about whether or not to wear them is like getting diet advice from Fitz.

If you can avoid glasses, do it.

Taking advice from someone without glasses would be like taking credit card advice from Wacky instead of Steve Dave.
Wammy!

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2015, 04:21:59 AM »
Oh and my glasses are awesome. Go great with my beard. Arms are wood.

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2015, 12:58:36 PM »
I look like rough ridin' squints from the sand lot.

The Big Train

I think I need glasses....
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2016, 02:37:09 PM »
98% of the time I wear contacts but my allergies have been killing me the last few days.  So I wore my glasses today and they needed cleaned.  What do you guys use to clean your glasses?

Guy I work with uses Zeiss Wipes and he gave me a few, WOW.  They are pretty much BITB, unless you guys can convince me otherwise.

Thoughts?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2016, 02:53:23 PM »
Spit + t-shirt
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2016, 03:24:42 PM »
When I buy glasses at Specs they give me some spray stuff and a cleaning cloth so that is what I use.

The Big Train

« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2016, 03:32:33 PM »
If you use cleaner with an Oakley cloth will it damage the cloth :confused:

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2022, 04:13:37 PM »
I’ve had the same pair of glasses for like 7 years and I hardly ever wear them. In fact I’m not really sure where they are right now, anyway. I went to the eye Dr last week and picked out some new ray ban frames and picked them up today. I really like them! I wear contacts almost 100% but it’s nice to have a pair now that I can wear to give me eyes a break.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2022, 04:31:16 PM »
I’ve had the same pair of glasses for like 7 years and I hardly ever wear them. In fact I’m not really sure where they are right now, anyway. I went to the eye Dr last week and picked out some new ray ban frames and picked them up today. I really like them! I wear contacts almost 100% but it’s nice to have a pair now that I can wear to give me eyes a break.

my last 3 have been rayban. I was a 100% contact wearer until I hit about 30. Started getting headaches more and more so I transitioned to glasses full time mostly. Will throw in contacts to go to the pool and stuff, but I feel strain as soon as I put them in. My eye dr says its weird that it happens, but I just gave up and wear glasses now. Wish I would have gotten lasik in my 30's.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2022, 04:48:37 PM »
I only wear them for driving so I got two pairs for $100 from some cheap online place. A+, would recommend.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline PandaXpanda

• Katpak'r
  • "is it too soon after 9/11 to be wearing pleats?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2022, 05:23:40 PM »
I'm 36 and got my first pair of glasses a few months ago, was also the first time I'd been to the optometrist since I was 17. Holy crap, I didn't realize my vision was THAT bad. I still feel like I'm seeing everything in 4k. Could probably also go in the shame yourself thread.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

aren't you glad it wasn't you? - g.h.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2022, 06:02:04 PM »
one of you genetically inferior souls needs to rock a monocle

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
I think I need glasses....
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2022, 06:20:39 PM »
I could see you rocking one burning heaters on the back patio. White Russian in hand.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2022, 07:59:05 PM »
I could see you rocking one burning heaters on the back patio. White Russian in hand.

This reminds me. 'Clams, I haven't forgotten. Well, I did forget, but now I remembered.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2022, 08:14:26 PM »
I have to get a new stronger set annually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2022, 09:18:44 PM »
If you really think about glasses it's fascinating.  Like at first you probably just had to hold like a square piece of glass up to your face to be able to see.  Then someone was like we need a device to make it rest on the nose so you don't have to hold it.  Then someone was like and it would be nice if it had some sticks that curve over the ears for more stability. So at first people probably saw it as this crazy device to hold glass over your eyes, but now it's just seen as an every day normal thing that nerds wear.  Pretty neat.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 09:23:55 PM by _33 »

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2022, 06:09:34 PM »
I've had glasses/contacts since elementary school but finally pulled the trigger on lasik about a year ago and it's absolutely the best decision ever.

If you do get it make sure to take the valium/Xanax they give you before. I'm not typically a nervous/anxious person but when they cut a flap in the outer layer of your eye, peel it back, then put your eye in a suction cup like device while you can smell the laser burning your cornea.....yeah, I'm glad I took it.

I was driving the next day and after a couple weeks of eye drops I haven't had any issues.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2022, 08:55:00 AM »
I've had glasses/contacts since elementary school but finally pulled the trigger on lasik about a year ago and it's absolutely the best decision ever.

If you do get it make sure to take the valium/Xanax they give you before. I'm not typically a nervous/anxious person but when they cut a flap in the outer layer of your eye, peel it back, then put your eye in a suction cup like device while you can smell the laser burning your cornea.....yeah, I'm glad I took it.

I was driving the next day and after a couple weeks of eye drops I haven't had any issues.

I thought about it last year, but got cheap. They said it would obviously correct my nearsightedness but I will prob need glasses to read here in a few years so I decided to forego the 7k. I wish I had done it in my 30's. Mods, please move this comment to the old balls thread.  :frown: