Poll

If Joe Biden wins the Presidential Election will Donald J. Trump pardon himself?

Yes
5 (45.5%)
No
1 (9.1%)
Will try and fail
5 (45.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: November 04, 2020, 06:43:50 PM

Author Topic: Lame Dog Poll  (Read 518 times)

Offline memphis

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Lame Dog Poll
« on: September 09, 2020, 07:43:50 PM »
Could Trump pardon himself?

This is not clear. The only limitation explicitly stated in the Constitution is a ban on using a pardon to stop an impeachment proceeding in Congress, and the only obvious implicit limitation is that he cannot pardon offenses under state law.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/21/us/politics/trump-pardon-himself-presidential-clemency.html

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline memphis

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Lame Dog Poll
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 11:41:54 AM »
I don't know if I'm doing the math correctly, but predicit has ~6/10 for Biden to win and ~2/10 for Trump to pardon himself. Does that equate to people thinking ~1/3 if Biden wins for Trump to pardon himself?

Honestly I'd think chances would be higher if Biden wins, I just can't think of a good reason Trump wouldn't want to use power for self benefit/protection since he has shown to harbor a deep sense of persecution. I guess maybe it could be an image thing to not want to look guilty, but I'd think he'd be apt to just say he's protecting himself from another "witch hunt" and certain people would just agree with him.

https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/3698/Who-will-win-the-2020-US-presidential-election
https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/6453/Will-Trump-pardon-himself-in-his-first-term

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 11:43:55 AM »
Not that I think he knows anything, but the other night Michael Cohen said he would resign if he loses the election and have Pence pardon him.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 11:56:38 AM »
Not that I think he knows anything, but the other night Michael Cohen said he would resign if he loses the election and have Pence pardon him.
That would be awesome. Nothing is going to happen to trump legally before he dies so it would be the perfect ending

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 12:05:56 PM »
Michael Cohen is a rough ridin' moron
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline memphis

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 12:29:12 PM »

For the purposes of this poll, I'm going to say that is a distinction without a difference under the assumption that those actions would be premeditated by both Trump and Pence. So a Pence pardon is under Yes or Will try and fail.

Offline memphis

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2020, 10:09:10 AM »
If anyone else is interested in weighing in, I think this closes on Wednesday.  :driving:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2020, 10:23:52 AM »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline memphis

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 01:38:29 PM »
I don't even know now  :dunno:

Pence probs won't and Trump probably doesn't himself because he's been told he'll look like an idiot and it could bring more heat his way. But also seems like something he'd do anyways.