Author Topic: is tonight a must-win for oscar?  (Read 11634 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: is tonight a must-win for oscar?
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2017, 06:29:47 AM »
I don't understand why you'd fire oscar for not making the tourney this year. He's already achieved about what a reasonable person would expect with this roster this season, pretty much regardless of what happens the rest of the season. If you fire him, it would really be for the two years prior to this one.

If that's true, about already doing beyond what's expected, then he should be gassed for what's truly a sad sack outfit. However, I don't think this is true at all, any of it.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2017, 06:34:00 AM »
Looking how Currie has managed other coaches, I don't think he has a slow hook. I also think program momentum would be lost without a bid causing action.

We have only have two other examples of where it could be argued that action was possibly needed, women's basketball and baseball. Although I disagreed at the time the wbb move was clearly the right one. I don't know much about college baseball but I'm guessing a couple of tournament seasons and decent revenue has saved Brad Hill.

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2017, 07:08:57 AM »
Curdog won't do much, but General Meyer remembers the glory days.  So change will come from the top.

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2017, 07:22:12 AM »
Looking how Currie has managed other coaches, I don't think he has a slow hook. I also think program momentum would be lost without a bid causing action.

We have only have two other examples of where it could be argued that action was possibly needed, women's basketball and baseball. Although I disagreed at the time the wbb move was clearly the right one. I don't know much about college baseball but I'm guessing a couple of tournament seasons and decent revenue has saved Brad Hill.

I believe those 2 tourney seasons were the first 2 in school history.  I can remember a time when getting in the conference tournament was a feat.
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
is tonight a must-win for oscar?
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2017, 07:32:00 AM »
I'm not nearly the Currie cynic that most are, but I do believe he values attendance and fan interest, and right now those things aren't terrible. That's why I feel oscar is safe with an NIT. That could still change, but I think we'll be good enough the rest of the way to stay on the bubble and keep fans coming to games at a good clip.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2017, 08:00:57 AM »

I don't understand why you'd fire oscar for not making the tourney this year. He's already achieved about what a reasonable person would expect with this roster this season, pretty much regardless of what happens the rest of the season. If you fire him, it would really be for the two years prior to this one.

If that's true, about already doing beyond what's expected, then he should be gassed for what's truly a sad sack outfit. However, I don't think this is true at all, any of it.

Did you expect more success to date based on the roster? I'm not talking about general program expectations, I'm talking about the expectations one would have had after last season ended and before this season began. I mean, didn't the coaches pick us to finish 8th?

If after four seasons an AD decided that year five is NCAA or bust, the AD should just consider the coach a failure and fire him then and there.

I'm not saying you or Parrish are wrong, I'm just saying the logic of that approach (by an AD) is dumb.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2017, 08:20:25 AM »
i don't understand why low preseason expectations should HELP the coach's chance of returning after year 5.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2017, 08:36:51 AM »

i don't understand why low preseason expectations should HELP the coach's chance of returning after year 5.

If an AD accepts lower expectations going into the season (which ours did when he didn't fire Weber last season), it's pretty dumb to fire that coach for meeting or exceeding those expectations (which oscar most likely will.)

Basically, Currie made this year's results acceptable when he didn't pull the trigger last year. Fire the coach for expectations of a sub-bubble team in year five, not for actually having a bubble team in year five when it's slightly better than what any reasonable observer would expect. 

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2017, 09:20:25 AM »
how bad are we going to be next season w/o DJamer and Westicles? it feels inevitable at this point for oscar if its not this season its all but certain hes on the chopping block for next season

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2017, 09:34:12 AM »
If we play another cream puff noncon we will be about the same, a starting lineup of Stokes, Brown, Sneed, Wade and Maurice will score with anybody. 

The upside is one of the 4 (not Maurice) becomes a closer and we could be like a Best Choice version of Hoi ball.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2017, 09:44:57 AM »
I'm not nearly the Currie cynic that most are, but I do believe he values attendance and fan interest, and right now those things aren't terrible. That's why I feel oscar is safe with an NIT. That could still change, but I think we'll be good enough the rest of the way to stay on the bubble and keep fans coming to games at a good clip.

Totally agree. Basically, as long as the product on the field/court for any k-state sport is mildly interesting, and fans keep buying tickets and throwing money into the k-state piggy bank, Currie has no real incentive to change course.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2017, 11:52:48 AM »
I honestly hate making this comparison but WSU went to the NIT the season before made a significant talent jump.  I think this team needs a few more years because of the talent we have and the jump as they have made in the last year.  I think of how much Dean and kamau have improved this team will be a tournament threat in two years but this year they are stuck in a rut. We will be a great team in two years this year is met with fun moments

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2017, 11:56:22 AM »
Maybe, but there is a point that oscar will likely get a chance to see his 2nd shot of rebuilding his team through. He burned it down once to start over and I think Currie probably is giving him some leeway for that because he agreed with that BID. So this sophomore/freshman class will get at least one more season, maybe two, especially given they've at least met expectations so far this year.

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2017, 11:57:53 AM »
how bad are we going to be next season w/o DJamer and Westicles? it feels inevitable at this point for oscar if its not this season its all but certain hes on the chopping block for next season

We haven't seen Cartier play yet, which could level out what we lose from Westicles with our current set of players returning.  The thing I think should be of utmost important is a big bodied big man. Maurice is serviceable, but like JO before him, is too skinny and isn't going to be able to body up against big opponents.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2017, 12:00:45 PM »

We haven't seen Cartier play yet, which could level out what we lose from Westicles with our current set of players returning.  The thing I think should be of utmost important is a big bodied big man. Maurice is serviceable, but like JO before him, is too skinny and isn't going to be able to body up against big opponents.

Yes, replacing DJamer is the biggest question, but we return plenty of talent. No reason to think we're going to be some 3 win Big 12 team next year. We might not be good, but we might not be great, because oscar.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2017, 12:22:41 PM »
We might not be good, but we might not be great
:Pirate:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2017, 12:41:30 PM »
we're not bad either.  we're the best at what we're not.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2017, 12:48:41 PM »
ya this time isn't terrible, in spite of oscar

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2017, 08:04:30 PM »

Did you expect more success to date based on the roster? I'm not talking about general program expectations, I'm talking about the expectations one would have had after last season ended and before this season began. I mean, didn't the coaches pick us to finish 8th?

If after four seasons an AD decided that year five is NCAA or bust, the AD should just consider the coach a failure and fire him then and there.

I'm not saying you or Parrish are wrong, I'm just saying the logic of that approach (by an AD) is dumb.

I 100% agree that a tournament or bust edict is stupid, I said that already. I think how the program is trending is much more important. If we finish like 6th or 7th I don't think the program is making the progress it needs to make. I wanted him gone last year but I completely understand why an AD wouldn't do that after two down years. A third year of relative stagnation should get any power five coach fired.

People are mentioning attendance and revenue, and I understand that I've been saying that for two years. However, bear in mind that this is a similar setup in which he gassed Deb. She had two years of stagnant play but steady revenues and attendance. I think her being a general pain in the ass for Currie cost her a crack at a third year, and she was returning good talent including one of the three best players in the conference.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2017, 08:59:58 PM »
People are mentioning attendance and revenue, and I understand that I've been saying that for two years. However, bear in mind that this is a similar setup in which he gassed Deb. She had two years of stagnant play but steady revenues and attendance. I think her being a general pain in the ass for Currie cost her a crack at a third year, and she was returning good talent including one of the three best players in the conference.

This is the biggest difference.

He didn't hire Deb and I don't think he particular liked her. He hired oscar and I think he likes him. I think he probably agreed with oscar turning over the roster (even if it was oscar's own recruits) and is willing to be more patient because of that, especially with fairly steady attendance/revenue numbers.

The Big Train

« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2017, 03:56:49 PM »
To answer OP's original question, yes, tonight is a must win.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2017, 03:12:57 PM »
is tomorrow night a must win for oscar? i say yes.

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2017, 03:24:53 PM »
Each home game (except KU) is a must win IMO. Also getting 1 of those final 3 roadies (OU Texas TCU).  Now if we beat Ku and finish 7-2 at home, that would be more forgiving. 6-3 can't happen at Doom.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2017, 03:24:58 PM »
As long as Currie is around there is almost no such thing as a must win or a can't lose game for oscar.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2017, 03:45:02 PM »
As long as Currie is around there is almost no such thing as a must win or a can't lose game for oscar.

i don't believe this to be true