Author Topic: Most fun year you've had watching ksu cat football?  (Read 6776 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Most fun year you've had watching ksu cat football?
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2017, 07:42:20 PM »
97 - My first goalposts experience (vs Colorado).

I'm 99.99998% sure we didn't take the goalposts down against Colorado, ever. They were terrible that year and we were in the top 10.

http://www.cuatthegame.com/1997/no-10-kansas-state-wildcats-take-over-no-2-spot-in-big-12-north/

The Buffs were heart-broken, disappointed, and angry. Said junior defensive end Nick Ziegler after the game, “I don’t want this to happen again. When their fans are tearing down goal posts and running over to our crowd to rub it in, it is heartbreaking for us to watch. I want us to be able to do the same thing next year in Boulder.”

I think it ended a sizeable streak of losses to the Buffs.  We wouldn't even consider doing the same thing to another team of similar record nowadays. 

was that a night game and did we bring the goal posts up to the top of the old east side before deciding not to throw them off and instead brought them back down and out of the stadium and to aggieville?

The goalposts were split into 3 pieces, I lost track of the sides but was helping carry the middle piece.  We walked it through the student union on our way to Aggieville.  I believe the other two pieces wound up there as well.  Someone suggested we cut it up for souvenirs...the police said we couldn't do that.  :cry:

Now I remember this. It did eventually end up in pieces, they had a piece at last chance. I initially forgot about this because I didn't get to walk the goalposts back to Aggieville because this was a 2:30 game and I had to work at the rec that night from 6:00 to close which was either 10 or 11 PM :curse:

Offline cas4ksu

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2017, 09:50:26 PM »
Echoing the sentiments of others in here. 2011 and 2012 for me. Thankfully, I was lucky enough to have been in college for both of those years.

If I had to pick I would say 2012, just because the week-to-week tension of being in a four horse race for two spots in the title game. A damn shame that we couldn't have got there.

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2017, 10:28:51 PM »

I'm 99.99998% sure we didn't take the goalposts down against Colorado, ever. They were terrible that year and we were in the top 10.

http://www.cuatthegame.com/1997/no-10-kansas-state-wildcats-take-over-no-2-spot-in-big-12-north/

The Buffs were heart-broken, disappointed, and angry. Said junior defensive end Nick Ziegler after the game, “I don’t want this to happen again. When their fans are tearing down goal posts and running over to our crowd to rub it in, it is heartbreaking for us to watch. I want us to be able to do the same thing next year in Boulder.”

I think it ended a sizeable streak of losses to the Buffs.  We wouldn't even consider doing the same thing to another team of similar record nowadays. 

was that a night game and did we bring the goal posts up to the top of the old east side before deciding not to throw them off and instead brought them back down and out of the stadium and to aggieville?

The goalposts were split into 3 pieces, I lost track of the sides but was helping carry the middle piece.  We walked it through the student union on our way to Aggieville.  I believe the other two pieces wound up there as well.  Someone suggested we cut it up for souvenirs...the police said we couldn't do that.  :cry:

Now I remember this. It did eventually end up in pieces, they had a piece at last chance. I initially forgot about this because I didn't get to walk the goalposts back to Aggieville because this was a 2:30 game and I had to work at the rec that night from 6:00 to close which was either 10 or 11 PM :curse:
That .00002% is a real bitch sometimes

Offline bws

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2017, 10:56:55 PM »
2000 doesn't get its due as far as a fun season goes. We came up short against OU both times, but man they were intense epic Big 12 games vs a team that won the national title. We ended up destroying Tennessee in the Cotton Bowl so we can forever tell ourselves we would of beat them 2 years earlier as well.

Also that first game against OU vs the old regime at BSFS was one of the best atmospheres ever. Also last time we had a home College Gameday i believe.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2017, 09:26:53 AM »

That .00002% is a real bitch sometimes

Tell me about it!

Offline NeverII

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2017, 11:23:20 AM »
2000 doesn't get its due as far as a fun season goes. We came up short against OU both times, but man they were intense epic Big 12 games vs a team that won the national title. We ended up destroying Tennessee in the Cotton Bowl so we can forever tell ourselves we would of beat them 2 years earlier as well.

Also that first game against OU vs the old regime at BSFS was one of the best atmospheres ever. Also last time we had a home College Gameday i believe.

Truth. The 2000 team was a slightly watered-down version of 1998. The collective offensive personnel might have actually been better (Quincy, Cartwright, Scobey, Meier, Aaron Lockett were all draft picks). Oh yeah, and David Allen. Sucks that he was never able to overcome that injury. I might be romanticizing this somewhat because that was the first season I started consistently attending games. Missed both OU tilts though. The most EMAW sequence in history happened in the 4th quarter of the game in Manhattan. Quincy Morgan touchdown, OU goes three-and-out, Terence Newman returns blocked punt for touchdown, Jon McGraw intercepts HB pass on OU's next possession. That happened in roughly 4 minutes of game time. Damn I miss the old Big 12

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2017, 11:25:09 AM »
2002 because it was the first great season I was in Manhattan for. USC game, Nebraska game, Iowa St game, @Mizzou, @KU, Holiday Bowl were all incredibly fun days to be a cat fan in the stadium partying.

Offline NeverII

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2017, 11:34:13 AM »
2002 because it was the first great season I was in Manhattan for. USC game, Nebraska game, Iowa St game, @Mizzou, @KU, Holiday Bowl were all incredibly fun days to be a cat fan in the stadium partying.

Another great team. Not super sexy because Ell was still coming into his own as a passer, which led to us running the ball like 60+ times per game. But that  :lynchmob: was sick... And Darren  :love:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2017, 11:39:55 AM »
For reference; good/bad for K-State offenses and defenses.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2017, 11:41:09 AM »
Sometimes close games are really fun (like 2002 vs USC) and sometimes monster blowouts are really fun (like 2002 vs Nebraska)

losses are not fun.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2017, 11:43:19 AM »
Sometimes close games are really fun (like 2002 vs USC) and sometimes monster blowouts are really fun (like 2002 vs Nebraska)

losses are not fun.

Close wins are fun afterward.

But I never go into a game, no matter how good the opponent, hoping for a "good game". (I know that reality says most will be close.)

I'll take 3-4 TD blowouts any time.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2017, 02:21:44 PM »
Probs 2017 all aboard the #ertzmobile #hypetrain

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2017, 02:24:58 PM »
For reference; good/bad for K-State offenses and defenses.

2002 looks good