Author Topic: critical race theory  (Read 11981 times)

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: critical race theory
« Reply #225 on: January 31, 2022, 12:45:00 PM »
The Woke's don't like To Kill a Mocking Bird because it's about white people being saviors or something.

Online bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 31, 2022, 01:04:43 PM »
The Woke's don't like To Kill a Mocking Bird because it's about white people being saviors or something.

:confused:

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 31, 2022, 02:46:15 PM »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 31, 2022, 02:57:18 PM »

https://www.yesmagazine.org/issue/travel/opinion/2019/07/09/books-teach-to-kill-a-mockingbird-racism

Either you were being sarcastic or you need to read that article again.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 31, 2022, 02:58:33 PM »
It's a real thing.

google white savior in literature/film

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 31, 2022, 03:03:35 PM »
“When I read this book in high school, I was guided to think that Atticus is the savior,” noted another teacher the next day. Someone else offered that this was perhaps a result of “our misreading of the text itself, and our need to lionize” our heroes. “Our” in this case refers mainly to White readers, like me. And I completely understood where those teachers were coming from. When author Malcom Gladwell published a critique of Atticus’ limited liberalism in The New Yorker in 2009, I sent him a self-righteous rebuttal, 2,500 words long and with no fewer than 19 pieces of textual evidence. Gladwell, to his credit, did not respond. “You want to believe in the Gregory Peck version of him,” a facilitator explained at one point during our workshop, but as you’re reading you will realize “he’s a man of his time.” Specifically, a White man of his time and far from revolutionary. In Chapter 15 of Mockingbird, Atticus assures his son that the local Ku Klux Klan was “a political organization more than anything,” one that “couldn’t find anybody to scare” and would “never come back.” In Chapter 27, when asked whether he’s a radical, Atticus replies, “I’m about as radical as Cotton Tom Heflin.” I looked it up: Heflin was an Alabama politician and White supremacist. But “I don’t want to hate Atticus,” said yet another teacher. Someone suggested that Atticus can be both admirable in certain ways and reprehensible in others. “It makes people we admire more accessible when we recognize their humanity.”

I don't know a lot about it but blue valley took it out of the required text list a year or so ago and the MAGA's were livid.  a friend that is a librarian said that woke libs don't like the portrayal of Atticus Finch as a sort of hero because he's really a racist

I'm not saying I agree, but it's a real thing that exists with that book

Online bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 31, 2022, 03:04:42 PM »

https://www.yesmagazine.org/issue/travel/opinion/2019/07/09/books-teach-to-kill-a-mockingbird-racism

I was thinking of Catcher in the Rye.  :lol: Shame Yourself crosspost.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 31, 2022, 03:08:04 PM »
Maybe people have more of a problem with the film portrayal irl but there's enough with the book that people have stopped wanting to use it.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 31, 2022, 11:26:24 PM »
It's a real thing.

google white savior in literature/film

lol, I'm perfectly aware what white savior complex is, believe me. The exception I'm taking is I don't think the author of that column is saying TKAM is an example of white savior complex, it's set in 1930s Alabama, there wasn't an abundance of black public defenders. I believe she's saying how the book is taught and presented in 2022 feeds into a white savior complex .

This is not the point of the column you posted. I think she's saying that if you're going to use that book to teach you need to dig deeper than Harper Lee did, she wrote that book 60 years ago, times have changed and what we teach needs to change to reflect the times.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 01, 2022, 06:01:03 AM »
I just posted the column because it’s a discussion of the issue that folks have with the book. Some hadn’t  heard of that issue. It was news to me when I heard that blue valley took it off required reading lists.

The book was taught to me pretty much exactly what the article says to avoid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 01, 2022, 10:20:18 AM »
I just posted the column because it’s a discussion of the issue that folks have with the book. Some hadn’t  heard of that issue. It was news to me when I heard that blue valley took it off required reading lists.

The book was taught to me pretty much exactly what the article says to avoid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, the book is great, but we're in different times now. The real relevance of this discussion now is that for a lot of the book banning crowd a book like TKAM is a great book because it's comfortable. Three books that are in the crosshairs now reflect a new reality and it isn't as comfortable for a lot of people because it goes beyond "racism is bad" and here is a well intended white man to drive that point home.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 01, 2022, 10:40:07 AM »

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 08, 2022, 02:07:16 PM »
In 10 years, all the chud states will have koch schools in the suburbs and public schools in the inner cities.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 13, 2022, 06:24:44 AM »
https://www.newyorker.com/news/annals-of-inquiry/how-a-conservative-activist-invented-the-conflict-over-critical-race-theory

Those seminars seem pretty cringey but it's ridiculous and tragic that backlash against them leads to Tulsa schools not being able to teach about the Tulsa race riots.