Author Topic: Big 12 standings with Greg  (Read 31120 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Big 12 standings with Greg
« Reply #150 on: February 05, 2017, 02:28:36 PM »
More stupid stats:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 05, 2017, 03:08:32 PM »
underwood's team has the number 2 offense in the country and martin's team has the number 2 offense.  osu defense 119th, usc offense 146th.

if only the cows could defend.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 05, 2017, 03:09:33 PM »
Baylor last in eFG and 9th in 2pt is head scratching. So is Isu being able to force over 23% on TO

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 05, 2017, 03:12:24 PM »
Baylor last in eFG and 9th in 2pt is head scratching.

not if you've watched them, it isn't.  they're a higher class version of usc.  great defense, can't shoot (no pg).
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 05, 2017, 04:41:16 PM »
Baylor last in eFG and 9th in 2pt is head scratching.

not if you've watched them, it isn't.  they're a higher class version of usc.  great defense, can't shoot (no pg).

For the season they are 53.4 on eFG & 53.0 on 2pt%.
They played a tough non con (7 of 12 teams are top 100 RPI).
Both eFG and 2pt were about 8-9% better in the Noncon

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 05, 2017, 05:07:24 PM »
The best at 2s and worst at 3s is weird for our Cats.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 06, 2017, 09:23:58 AM »
our 3pt % defense  :lol:

We're just really unlucky, that has nothing to do with our actual defense

LBBIQ here, but I do have problems figuring out what exactly we do wrong sometimes. I think it was TCU where their guy who made 11 3s all season went off for something like 5 in the game. Then you get shots like Baylor's near the end of the game that was damn near half court.

To some extent you want to bait shooters into taking that kind of fools gold, but for us it seems to be actual gold more often than not.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 06, 2017, 09:48:18 AM »

if you believe that 3FG% isn't a lottery, KSU over-helping on D would make a lot of sense explaining it.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 06, 2017, 09:53:03 AM »

Tonight's game holds an interesting fate for both teams.  If the KSU cats win then we will have a 3 way tie for 2nd and then Baylor and KU have a tie for first.  KU definitely has a few bumps in the road as they play West Virginia in AFH and Baylor in Waco in the same week after they finish this week at Texas Tech.  We play @ West Virginia and then have ISU at home the following Wednesday.  The Big 12 is THE toughest conference in college basketball as you simply can't predict outcomes as you can when it comes to other conference play.

Now I don't know how the conference tournament seeding tie breakers work but with the spread pictured above it will definitely get very interesting come conference seeding time and #SelectionSunday

These next games are far more crucial for Kstate moving forward because of the hole that we have been put in since we lost to TCU. 

I think the Kansas State Cats with a win tonight, we will see a a few things change in the way they play as it will be very high energy for the weeks to come. I like to say that we will win a majority of our games going forward but we have Oscar steering the ship.  He could take us to the promise land but at the same time he could run this ship aground and we will be rough ridin' screwed. We have a seen it before. My dream scenario is to win our next three games and sweep WVU but it is only a dream and I would be one happy #brucketball fan if it happens. 

This game is the only Big 12 game this evening and if you have been living under a rock.
The game tips at 8pm Central time.
Only on ESPN.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 06, 2017, 10:00:32 AM »
our 3pt % defense  :lol:

We're just really unlucky, that has nothing to do with our actual defense

LBBIQ here, but I do have problems figuring out what exactly we do wrong sometimes. I think it was TCU where their guy who made 11 3s all season went off for something like 5 in the game. Then you get shots like Baylor's near the end of the game that was damn near half court.

To some extent you want to bait shooters into taking that kind of fools gold, but for us it seems to be actual gold more often than not.

Our defense seems to be designed to take away driving lanes and we don't apply heavy ball pressure on the perimeter. Teams that apply heavy ball pressure can be vulnerable if you can keep the ball moving, faster than the defense but high ball pressure teams also have a tendency to move the offense back off of the arc a little bit. Our defense does not do that so three point shooters against us are catching the ball pretty comfortably on the stripe. Advanced metrics don't tell you how many contested threes someone hits, we don't contest as many as we should.

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 06, 2017, 02:55:02 PM »

if you believe that 3FG% isn't a lottery, KSU over-helping on D would make a lot of sense explaining it.

1) I thought vs Baylor, we did our best job in a long while of not helping so much or cheating off of shooters who are lined up behind the arc. Baylor did hit 4 of their first 7 from 3pt, but Lecomte hit the 1st shot vs our opening possession zone D, and he got another in transistion where we just didn't pick him up.   They finished making 3 of last 11. 

It's not as simple as it sounds, but if you are going to cheat off a shooter to play help D against a dribble drive or vs the screener diving towards the hoop....you have to make the passing lane more difficult as you cheat closer to the middle of the lane.

Teams have had their way with making baseline 3pt shots vs Us.  Or it sure seems that way.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 09, 2017, 07:20:25 AM »

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 09, 2017, 08:18:43 AM »
if there's one thing that oscar weber is guilty of, it's that he coaches 2 pt defense with an intense passion. unfortunately, his team has mistakenly taken that to mean that he doesn't care about 3 pt defense, when of course he cares about 3 pt defense!

good on weber for coaching 2 pt defense so hard, lots of points on the Coach Hard chart awarded to oscar.  bad on the team to misconstrue coach weber's message.  what are these guys thinking???

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 09, 2017, 08:22:29 AM »
If we were simply bad at 3PT defense and gave up like 40% (still last in the league) we probably have 2-3 more wins. I know there are moving parts and maybe that means other aspects of the defense suffer, but 45.6% is just awful.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 09, 2017, 08:28:52 AM »
We are the worst at 3 D/eFg because we constantly leave shooters wide open with help D.  We allow the most uncontested open looks from behind the arc I ever seen from a team that plays relatively decent D over all.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 09, 2017, 08:34:49 AM »
I know an up tempo offense is fun to watch and it's what fans aspire for, but it makes me nervous as crap watching these guys run out of control up and down the court. I never feel like they're going to finish on a 2 on 1 run.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 09, 2017, 08:40:50 AM »
We are the worst at 3 D/eFg because we constantly leave shooters wide open with help D.  We allow the most uncontested open looks from behind the arc I ever seen from a team that plays relatively decent D over all.

no
we are supposedly the worst* at 3 point defense because we try too hard on defense
this team has been kicking ass at 3 point defense.  it might not show it in the box score, but who gets caught up in the minutia of a box score?

*statistically

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 09, 2017, 08:42:30 AM »
I think clams is referencing the play hard 3pt defense chart, which we consistently kick butt at. Other teams just make more plays.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 09, 2017, 08:54:07 AM »
Sorry guys, I forgot about the play hard chart :(

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 10, 2017, 03:59:43 PM »
This helps explain some of the defensive issues on the perimeter.

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/big-12/kansas-state/article132006664.html

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 10, 2017, 05:11:50 PM »
Has anyone looked into the possibility of other teams cheating and jacking 3's when we aren't ready?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 10, 2017, 05:26:42 PM »
Has anyone looked into the possibility of other teams cheating and jacking 3's when we aren't ready?
Yeah I suppose us not being out there to defend the ball would count as us not being ready lib^7
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 12, 2017, 09:47:08 AM »

Defense has been a season long concern, but K-State's offense has slipped badly. 4 of the last 6 games have featured offensive efficiency of .91 or worse with a high of 1.06. Only 1 game with an eFG% of over 50%. The season and perhaps oscar's job hinges on getting that corrected.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 19, 2017, 09:52:48 AM »

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 23, 2017, 01:45:48 PM »
First 7 B12 games -- 1.11 PtsPerPoss on Offense