Author Topic: Big 12 standings with Greg  (Read 31109 times)

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
Re: Big 12 standings with Greg
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2017, 09:48:44 AM »
Kenpom says the Big 12 is #1.

Forget that, the ACC is better because they have 15 schools.
Noice

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2017, 10:09:40 AM »

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2017, 10:33:27 AM »
The ft rate/3 pt rate/3 pt % are the #'s to watch for me.  They seem weird right now.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2017, 10:37:08 AM »
that TO % :love:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2017, 10:37:31 AM »
The ft rate/3 pt rate/3 pt % are the #'s to watch for me.  They seem weird right now.

They are, but sample size is tiny.

I will say 3pt rate is encouraging, because we do a good job of not allowing a lot and opponents' percentage is likely to come down to the league average. However, FT rate and % won't stay where they are at either.

I like to see the high 2pt% and differential as well, plus really good TO numbers on both sides.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
Big 12 standings with Greg
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2017, 10:38:53 AM »
outside of deathbite going brain dead from time to time, we seem very tidy with the ball

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2017, 02:27:22 PM »
that with our o reb #s are very wtf right now. After frank we still had that get the board mentality so it's weird to me

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2017, 03:29:55 PM »
It's reasonable that when shooting goes up, oboarding will go down. I don't think oscar has completely gone away from oboarding, this team just doesn't need to as much.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2017, 03:57:56 PM »
It's reasonable that when shooting goes up, oboarding will go down. I don't think oscar has completely gone away from oboarding, this team just doesn't need to as much.

why?  i guess you're suggesting that having people in position to oboard has a fixed cost while the reward declines in value as the number of potential oboards declines?  i dunno if that makes sense or not, it would depend on how finely balanced the costs and rewards are.  just looking at weber's kstate teams, there doesn't appear to be any inverse correlation between efg and oboard rate prior to this year.  unless there is a much clearer relationship in the data from his teams at previous schools, i would not assume that either the 2016-17 team's efg or oboard rate is the result of a strategical decision.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2017, 05:30:22 PM »
I suppose that's my logic a little bit. The correlation over the course of oscar's career is similar to what we're seeing at K-State, but you are correct that better shooting doesn't mean lower oboarding for a typical oscar team.

If anything he's learned from having really bad oboarding teams his last few years at Illinois and has put more emphasis on it here.

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2017, 07:07:53 PM »
The 3 Big 12 games + 5 games away from Home vs BC/Terps/SLU/Csu/Wsu. (So not counting our home games vs small conf teams)

1) we did a great job in TO%.  Our is only 16.6 and we forced 24.5
2) we have done a good job all year keeping the other teams FTR low. Same with these 8 games only allowing 29.7
3) Each of these Big 12 teams got over 50 on us on 2pt% (56,55,51). That's an area we regressed some. The 5 non B12 teams were only 68-168 vs Us, 40.5%

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2017, 07:46:38 PM »
The 3 Big 12 games + 5 games away from Home vs BC/Terps/SLU/Csu/Wsu. (So not counting our home games vs small conf teams)

1) we did a great job in TO%.  Our is only 16.6 and we forced 24.5
2) we have done a good job all year keeping the other teams FTR low. Same with these 8 games only allowing 29.7
3) Each of these Big 12 teams got over 50 on us on 2pt% (56,55,51). That's an area we regressed some. The 5 non B12 teams were only 68-168 vs Us, 40.5%

Not fouling is weird. We have foul a ton for the last decade. I am not sure the 2pt% defense is that bad, I think we have had a little bad fortune with teams rising up and hitting shots. I don't think we have given up a ton of uncontested 2s at home.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2017, 11:28:12 PM »
This week was a very positive one for the cats as we had a tough road loss and a great win at home but next is on the road to Tech.  Here is this week's standings.

TUESDAY 1/10/2017
Baylor @ West Virginia
6pm ESPN2
This is my most anticipated game of the week, seeing as how Huggins has a great team this year and we can usually count on them upsetting one team a year.  I think WV will give Baylor a run for their money and this game will be absolutely nuts.  Players to watch for on WV are the dynamic duo of forwards Eva Ahmad who leads the team with 12.9 ppg and shoots a studly 55FG%. The other big man named Nathan Adrian is an absolute rebounding monster as he averages 6.5 Rebounds per game.  Baylor on the other hand has a studly monster of a man in Johnathan Motley who leads the team with 15.8PPG AND 9.4 Rebounds per game. There is so much to watch but these are the guys I think who will be big difference makers for this game.

KU @ Oklahoma
8pm ESPN2
Oklahoma is awful. And it doesn't help that one of their two seniors is injured. One thing I liked about OU when I saw them play the cats was their relentless need to jump after every shot and try to make a rebound. I can honestly say that was the only thing I thought was good about them. I think KU will steam roll them, it will be at least a 20pt game and the most empty OU's arena has been in a while.

KSTATE @Texas Tech
8:15pm ESPNNEWS
This game will be a good match up and a true road test for brucketball and his family of wildcats.  Oscar loves to get his team mad before a game and let them unleash the #DOOM.  The obvious problems for the Wildcats seemed to have been fixed as Ft% has risen and Kstate has matured in its shooting ability and pure grit as they take chances and risks that pay off in the long run.  Tech has had a familiar slate as their non con wasn't the best and have had a tough game against WV.  I see this game as one Tech can't lose to keep their playoff hopes alive just as much as the Cats.  This game will come down to who makes the least amount of mistakes and if I'm reading _Fan's stats correctly then that team will be Tech.  A strength of Tech's is shooting from beyond the arc so if the cats can shut them down outside and dominate the boards then this game could be a lot easier than I think it will be. 

Goodnight everyone and Go Cats

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2017, 11:00:31 AM »
This week was a very positive one for the cats as we had a tough road loss and a great win at home but next is on the road to Tech.  Here is this week's standings.

TUESDAY 1/10/2017
Baylor @ West Virginia
6pm ESPN2
This is my most anticipated game of the week, seeing as how Huggins has a great team this year and we can usually count on them upsetting one team a year.  I think WV will give Baylor a run for their money and this game will be absolutely nuts.  Players to watch for on WV are the dynamic duo of forwards Eva Ahmad who leads the team with 12.9 ppg and shoots a studly 55FG%. The other big man named Nathan Adrian is an absolute rebounding monster as he averages 6.5 Rebounds per game.  Baylor on the other hand has a studly monster of a man in Johnathan Motley who leads the team with 15.8PPG AND 9.4 Rebounds per game. There is so much to watch but these are the guys I think who will be big difference makers for this game.

KU @ Oklahoma
8pm ESPN2
Oklahoma is awful. And it doesn't help that one of their two seniors is injured. One thing I liked about OU when I saw them play the cats was their relentless need to jump after every shot and try to make a rebound. I can honestly say that was the only thing I thought was good about them. I think KU will steam roll them, it will be at least a 20pt game and the most empty OU's arena has been in a while.

KSTATE @Texas Tech
This game will be a good match up and a true road test for brucketball and his family of wildcats.  Oscar loves to get his team mad before a game and let them unleash the #DOOM.  The obvious problems for the Wildcats seemed to have been fixed as Ft% has risen and Kstate has matured in its shooting ability and pure grit as they take chances and risks that pay off in the long run.  Tech has had a familiar slate as their non con wasn't the best and have had a tough game against WV.  I see this game as one Tech can't lose to keep their playoff hopes alive just as much as the Cats.  This game will come down to who makes the least amount of mistakes and if I'm reading _Fan's stats correctly then that team will be Tech.  A strength of Tech's is shooting from beyond the arc so if the cats can shut them down outside and dominate the boards then this game could be a lot easier than I think it will be. 

I dunno about you Greg but it wouldn't bother me one bit if the fighting wild purplecats crushed tech's dreams of making the playoffs.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2017, 11:19:27 AM »

TUESDAY 1/10/2017
Baylor @ West Virginia
6pm ESPN2

KU @ Oklahoma
8pm ESPN2

KSTATE @Texas Tech

I dunno about you Greg but it wouldn't bother me one bit if the fighting wild purplecats crushed tech's dreams of making the playoffs.
It doesn't at all.  Tech has the same resumé and I think we will win

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2017, 02:11:15 PM »
FWIW, possible of a Baylor slide is real. Top 3 might not be so locked up in conference. There adjusted performance per game script (lead average per minute) isn't great and sliding hard.

Add that to potential rough week (@WVU and @KSU), a door could be opening.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2017, 02:15:11 PM »
i have more doubts about wvu than bu.  and ku doesn't exactly jump off the page either, especially with their reduced roster of bigs.

but i really don't doubt that any of them are the top 3 in the conference.  the kenpom gap between 3 and 4 is pretty substantial.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2017, 02:34:05 PM »
FWIW, possible of a Baylor slide is real. Top 3 might not be so locked up in conference. There adjusted performance per game script (lead average per minute) isn't great and sliding hard.

They unquestionably have the best resume in the country.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2017, 04:06:05 PM »

They unquestionably have the best resume in the country.

For sure, but hey have spent a ton of time not in the lead for an undefeated team. Their last two offensive performance at home have been disappointing. It is nothing new for Baylor to take a step back in the national ranks after entering conference play.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2017, 10:28:10 PM »
What a crazy night.  Once again congrats Cdubz.  Oscar crapped the bed and KU pulled it out in Norman.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2017, 05:21:47 AM »
How does the B12 stack up to other leagues?  No idea because they didn't play but we know how they stack up against each other.  Good luck tournament committee.
Well chicat this is how I see it..
Out of the power 5
I have it ranked this way based off of how many teams total will have at large bids and the strength of the projected autobid from each championship http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaab/conference-bids

ACC- 1
BIG 10- 2
BIG 12- 3
BIG EAST- 4
PAC 12- 5
SEC - 6

Please tell me you see the flaw in this
Read the page that is the link

Come on greg. 5 and 6 are not the same

Offline kso_FAN