Author Topic: #thetruth  (Read 14148 times)

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: #thetruth
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2016, 10:15:26 PM »
On the "you never know if a new hire is going to succeed or not" talking point:

Be honest...did people think Huggins would be a success at KSU when first hired?

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2016, 12:05:14 AM »
My favorite part of the irrational oscar hate is the contrived conspiracy that currie is misleading mimd-controlling our fans into believing oscar is doing well to abvance some ulterior motive. They act as if Currie's actions to promote the bball program are outlandish and unbelievable, and intimate that he's betraying the fan base by not openly criticizing oscar's unusual mannerisms. It's hard to believe seemingly intelligent people can be that disjointed from reality.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2016, 12:11:43 AM »
My favorite part of the irrational oscar hate is the contrived conspiracy that currie is misleading mimd-controlling our fans into believing oscar is doing well to abvance some ulterior motive. They act as if Currie's actions to promote the bball program are outlandish and unbelievable, and intimate that he's betraying the fan base by not openly criticizing oscar's unusual mannerisms. It's hard to believe seemingly intelligent people can be that disjointed from reality.

Interesting post, especially if true. Keep it coming.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2016, 12:15:40 AM »
Exhibit A

I think it will be very difficult for oscar to keep his job if we don't make the tournament.

The scenario you then laid out doesn't seem difficult at all, especially when Currie can influence the narrative on the momentum/attendance concepts, and to date, has shown he wants to inflate them positively. 

If we don't make the tournament but have considerable forward momentum then he stays and deserves to do so. The CBI or CIT isn't good enough. We'll need to see a couple of big wins and more importantly big crowds at Bramlage. I don't think Currie will have any tolerance for thousands.of empties in February.

It'd be awkward if he were to cite lack of progress and down attendance when nobody's been a bigger proponent of kstatembb success in those fields than himself.  However, he could shut down an NIT berth and then cite lack of being in a "major" tournament as the dealbreaker.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2016, 03:33:39 AM »

Be honest...did people think Huggins would be a success at KSU when first hired?

Yeah, most did that was a very fun summer.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2016, 07:50:26 AM »

With the recruiting he was doing, I thought he was going to be great. Going to the press conference when he was hired and sitting by fatty was great.

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2016, 08:31:38 AM »

Yeah, most did that was a very fun summer.
I immediately called about getting season tickets.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2016, 09:22:17 AM »

With the recruiting he was doing, I thought he was going to be great. Going to the press conference when he was hired and sitting by fatty was great.

was there anyone who didn't think he'd dominate?
i mean, rough ridin' grcoat

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2016, 12:12:26 PM »
Cleveland should get a pass if he's a young dude, it was a decade ago.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2016, 12:34:17 PM »
Cleveland probably doesn't even know the difference between GRCOAT and SNOWCOAT.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2016, 12:36:02 PM »
The coaching search/Huggins hiring/Grcoat were more  :emawkid: than anything KSU had experienced in my lifetime, and we hadn't even played a game.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2016, 12:40:31 PM »
Huggins was top 5 in active wins when we hired him. You can't really make a better call than that.

Hires like Miles at Nu and Groce at Illinois always had a high probability of failing. I haven't looked completely into, but how mid/low major coaches like Bread and Underwood tend to be a coin flip or less at the p5 level in terms of success probability. But that is just a quick look at surface level.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2016, 12:45:35 PM »
Huggins was top 5 in active wins when we hired him. You can't really make a better call than that.

Hires like Miles at Nu and Groce at Illinois always had a high probability of failing. I haven't looked completely into, but how mid/low major coaches like Bread and Underwood tend to be a coin flip or less at the p5 level in terms of success probability. But that is just a quick look at surface level.

Honestly, one of the biggest reach hires was when we hired Martin, but it turned out well for us. It could have imploded in spectacular fashion though.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2016, 01:28:00 PM »

Honestly, one of the biggest reach hires was when we hired Martin, but it turned out well for us. It could have imploded in spectacular fashion though.

I don't know if it is fair to say. But it seems promoting from within has a solid success rate. But it only being one year, makes it kinda of weird. I do think you need to examine the momentum of the program when you do hire from within.

Martin rode the wave of change Huggins started. Sean Sutton and Pat Knight both took over programs after their peaks.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 01:42:19 PM by Mixed-Nutz »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2016, 01:40:22 PM »
It felt shitty to me when Frank got the job because Huggins had mumped us over and his buddy was then benefiting from it.  But it was nonetheless the obvious correct move b/c of the players we'd get that could turn the whole thing around and really no risk.  If it had failed spectacularly it'd just be another shitty (but interesting!) year of KSU hoops to go along with the prior decade + and we'd be in the same spot of having to get a non-Huggs tree coach.

A lot of similarities to the basis for taking a flyer on Gottlieb, post-Frank.

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2016, 01:41:36 PM »

was there anyone who didn't think he'd dominate?
i mean, rough ridin' grcoat
Exactly. Huggins actually did worse than I expected. But I was high on that grcoat life.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2016, 01:44:07 PM »

https://twitter.com/33KSU/status/186168611222720513

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2016, 03:11:30 PM »

My question was meant as a way to assess earlier claims in the thread -- that you just never know with the next hire versus the don't fire current coach until you know the next hire is an improvement. Earlier in the thread people were arguing that you just never know, therefore let's can oscar and see what happens. Others were arguing, don't fire oscar until we know we can land something higher quality. The Huggins question is a just a more direct way, grounded in reality, to assess how strong those opinions of people are. Seems the consensus is that people viewed Huggs as an instant success (as did I). Maybe this is just an outlier, lucky case, but it suggests to me that maybe we do need to wait until we have a legitimate shot at somebody of higher quality than oscar? I hate to say that, but maybe it is true? I didn't feel strongly (other than oscar is an irritating douche) about either camp, but am prone to think at KSU we can't really know with much certainty that we are going to land a top echelon guy. I mean, if we would've really gone after Brad do you think he may have just picked Okie Lite anyways? Me thinks there is a good possibility of it.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2016, 03:22:15 PM »

My question was meant as a way to assess earlier claims in the thread -- that you just never know with the next hire versus the don't fire current coach until you know the next hire is an improvement. Earlier in the thread people were arguing that you just never know, therefore let's can oscar and see what happens. Others were arguing, don't fire oscar until we know we can land something higher quality. The Huggins question is a just a more direct way, grounded in reality, to assess how strong those opinions of people are. Seems the consensus is that people viewed Huggs as an instant success (as did I). Maybe this is just an outlier, lucky case, but it suggests to me that maybe we do need to wait until we have a legitimate shot at somebody of higher quality than oscar? I hate to say that, but maybe it is true? I didn't feel strongly (other than oscar is an irritating douche) about either camp, but am prone to think at KSU we can't really know with much certainty that we are going to land a top echelon guy. I mean, if we would've really gone after Brad do you think he may have just picked Okie Lite anyways? Me thinks there is a good possibility of it.

Huggins was a once or twice in a program type hire for K-State. He was a proven guy and likely a hall of fame coach who we gave a 2nd chance.

I absolutely think Brad is here now if we would've made any attempt to get him. I don't think he is some type of sure thing hire, but I think his chances of being good are high.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2016, 09:58:56 PM »

Huggins was a once or twice in a program type hire for K-State. He was a proven guy and likely a hall of fame coach who we gave a 2nd chance.

I absolutely think Brad is here now if we would've made any attempt to get him. I don't think he is some type of sure thing hire, but I think his chances of being good are high.

Also it was absolutely known by everyone that Huggins was bringing in an amazing class. It was no secret that he was recruiting without NCAA restrictions. Actually, it was an upset that the class wasn't better than it turned out to be.

Offline Ptolemy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2016, 10:14:37 PM »
I'm not trim, but for me personally, I mock currie for hiring him and giving him the job in the first place. so in that sense, every day that goes by in which oscar is still the coach is a day that I will continue to mock currie.

Absolutely.

Offline Ptolemy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2016, 10:21:55 PM »
This isn't hard.

Currie ran Frank off without an improved upgrade in place. That alone should be a fireable offense.

Currie has stuck by a guy that has lost more league games in every season he's been here.

Why settle for 9th place when 1st place is available?

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2016, 11:34:04 PM »
This truth, for me?  This still makes me  :frown:
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2016, 11:35:57 PM »
Also, I'm fine with so called "reach" hires versus hiring someone for being a proven failure. 

Has anyone found an example of a P5 coach who was canned for being a loser who went on to have success somewhere else?  Seems like all the good second chance stories are because of recruiting, academics, or rough ridin' a cheerleader.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2016, 11:49:44 PM »
Steve Alford is pretty close