Author Topic: Official 2016 Coaching Carousel (football edition)  (Read 44928 times)

Offline manpow5

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Official 2016 Coaching Carousel (football edition)
« Reply #250 on: December 12, 2016, 03:55:04 PM »
Someone check the tarmacs!! 

To EMAW or Not to EMAW

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 12, 2016, 04:00:00 PM »
Please provide the list of p5 schools at or below ku level.

Rutgers, Purdue, Illinois.

Man, the big 10 has some bad programs.

Indiana, too.

No, not close, sorry. Indiana is a lot more Texas Tech than KU. They just fired a coach who won six games each of the previous two years.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 12, 2016, 04:59:46 PM »

Indiana, too.

No, not close, sorry. Indiana is a lot more Texas Tech than KU. They just fired a coach who won six games each of the previous two years.

KU fired their best coach ever, too.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 12, 2016, 10:25:28 PM »

Indiana, too.

KU fired their best coach ever, too.

Indiana isn't KU, not close, never has been never will be.

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 13, 2016, 08:06:35 AM »
Good Lord, Houston reeks of desperation.  They essentially tried to pay Texas $2.5 million to play them in basketball and football.

Yurachek said he gave Texas the option to mitigate Herman's buyout in exchange for a home-and-home series in football and men's basketball. Yurachek said Texas athletic director Mike Perrin called him and told him, "That is not an option that's on the table any longer," and that Texas will pay Houston the $2.5 million for Herman's buyout.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18264689/major-applewhite-contract-houston-pay-75-million-five-year-period

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: December 13, 2016, 08:30:56 AM »
I think Kiffin could've got a Houston level job from a school trying to make a "splash" in the next couple of years, but he seemed determined to leave this year.  I don't think any P5 above a KU level would hire him without him proving some success as a head coach.

There is certainly a chance that Saban set him straight but taking the first HC job that was offered makes me doubt it.

Houston made him an offer but he didn't like their buyout.

I didn't know if this was true or not.  Tough to trust his agents or the Houston chair as both are pretty likely to be full of crap.
very true chi, it was reported that houston made these contracts almost impossible to sign as to stop being a stepping stone to bigger jobs

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 13, 2016, 08:41:47 AM »
Yeah and Illinois isn't at a KU level either.

Purdue, Rutgers, and Oregon State is the answer.

Oregon State has had some recent success, but they've been bad the last few years. They're also the little brother of a limited recruiting state, just like KU.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 13, 2016, 08:59:32 AM »
This year's carousel has had a lot of winners.  A lot of logical moves.  I think Taggart is great for Oregon and Purdue nailed the Bohrm hire.  Sucks for Strong he got fired, but great for USF and a pretty good spot for Strong post-firing.  Not sure why Rhule would take Baylor, but it's a great get for them.

PJ is taking a big risk trying to pull a Herman while losing his 2 best players, including his QB and 1st round WR.

I agree with all of this but the biggest different between Herman and Fleck is that Fleck has built his roster and Herman didn't. Western is returning their best running back but their non-con next year is  :surprised: they play at USC and at Michigan State, they'll be MAC favorites though. He should be able to get a better job than Purdue or Cincinnati next year.

You're right on this.   It's not a good comparison with Herman.  If Fleck wasn't a real candidate at Oregon, it was mostly jobs he where he can always similar ones later even if he goes 8-4 or 9-3.  He didn't turn down a South Carolina type job.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 13, 2016, 10:24:20 AM »
Good Lord, Houston reeks of desperation.  They essentially tried to pay Texas $2.5 million to play them in basketball and football.

Yurachek said he gave Texas the option to mitigate Herman's buyout in exchange for a home-and-home series in football and men's basketball. Yurachek said Texas athletic director Mike Perrin called him and told him, "That is not an option that's on the table any longer," and that Texas will pay Houston the $2.5 million for Herman's buyout.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18264689/major-applewhite-contract-houston-pay-75-million-five-year-period

LOL, Houston, man we really dodged a bullet there. I like how they act as if $2.5 million is some significant amount to UT. Did they think they were negotiating with East Carolina?

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 13, 2016, 02:32:49 PM »
This year's carousel has had a lot of winners.  A lot of logical moves.  I think Taggart is great for Oregon and Purdue nailed the Bohrm hire.  Sucks for Strong he got fired, but great for USF and a pretty good spot for Strong post-firing.  Not sure why Rhule would take Baylor, but it's a great get for them.

PJ is taking a big risk trying to pull a Herman while losing his 2 best players, including his QB and 1st round WR.

I agree with all of this but the biggest different between Herman and Fleck is that Fleck has built his roster and Herman didn't. Western is returning their best running back but their non-con next year is  :surprised: they play at USC and at Michigan State, they'll be MAC favorites though. He should be able to get a better job than Purdue or Cincinnati next year.

You're right on this.   It's not a good comparison with Herman.  If Fleck wasn't a real candidate at Oregon, it was mostly jobs he where he can always similar ones later even if he goes 8-4 or 9-3.  He didn't turn down a South Carolina type job.
While Fleck actually has proven he can build a program as head coach Herman's resume is better for what ADs at elite schools are looking for - experience as a coordinator and recruiter at other elite schools.  If Fleck wants an elite job he is going to need some Boise State type wins at WMU or take a AAC or middling to bad P5 first.  9-3 and beating another G5 school in a bowl game won't do it unless he wins at USC or at MSU next year.

What Fleck has done looks a lot like what Dave Doren did at UNI and he turned that into NC State, the 4th best job in his division.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 13, 2016, 02:38:09 PM »
yeah Illinois football is really bad, but they're probably in better shape than KU.  far better facilities.  renovating the stadium.  actual, legitimate head coach.  bad, but not a program wide mess like KU.

Rutgers and probably Purdue are on the same level as KU.  Some of those purdue crowds this year made ku games look packed.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 13, 2016, 02:58:52 PM »

While Fleck actually has proven he can build a program as head coach Herman's resume is better for what ADs at elite schools are looking for - experience as a coordinator and recruiter at other elite schools.  If Fleck wants an elite job he is going to need some Boise State type wins at WMU or take a AAC or middling to bad P5 first.  9-3 and beating another G5 school in a bowl game won't do it unless he wins at USC or at MSU next year.

What Fleck has done looks a lot like what Dave Doren did at UNI and he turned that into NC State, the 4th best job in his division.

I think his packaging is a lot more important to whomever is evaluating him than how many P5 teams he beats. Herman is very safe and securely packaged, nice symmetrical red and green wrapping with a pretty silver bow. Who knows what the hell is on the inside, but you're pretty secure about it because it's wrapped so nicely. PJ Fleck is wrapped in skull and crossbones wrapping paper with the edges all rounded up and he has one of those bows with a sticker holding it in place. There might be a 5K diamond ring in there but who knows, I mean look at how that thing is wrapped up.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 14, 2016, 03:48:59 PM »
Phil Knight ain't fuckin around
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline troubledscribe

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 15, 2016, 08:30:53 PM »
Jerry Kill interviewing Rutgers OC....

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 16, 2016, 10:01:21 AM »

Interview for the job?  Or he is interviewing for K-State?
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline That_Guy

• I'm just, "That Guy!"
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 16, 2016, 10:54:00 AM »

Interview for the job?  Or he is interviewing for K-State?

Was curious of this as well? And if it's the latter why tf would we be interviewing Rutgers OC. They absolutely blow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline troubledscribe

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 16, 2016, 10:54:40 AM »
Sorry that wasn't very clear. He is interviewing for the position

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 16, 2016, 02:05:44 PM »
If true, troubledscribe post, this is terrible news on the PJ front if he gets the job.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: December 16, 2016, 02:57:18 PM »
If true, troubledscribe post, this is terrible news on the PJ front if he gets the job.

sounds like jerry might be killing your buzz.....YEAHHHHHHH

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 16, 2016, 03:00:48 PM »
L & O!

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 16, 2016, 05:51:15 PM »
I mean i understand most university moves with former coaches but what did he even do here?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 16, 2016, 06:53:12 PM »
https://twitter.com/JoeSchmitKSTP/status/809565168183156736

My apologies to you troubledscribe. Why would this dude jeopardize his health to be the OC at freaking Rutgers?