Author Topic: Overtime  (Read 1515 times)

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
Overtime
« on: November 23, 2016, 04:18:37 PM »
Obama isn't very bright, and his own appointed judge ruled he traipsed all over the good ole constitution again.  Must be weird to have a conlaw class from a clown who basically thinks the constitution was made to be broken.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2016/11/22/judge-blocks-obama-backed-rule-extending-overtime.html

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Overtime
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 04:20:59 PM »
kind of a weird ruling when a salary floor already exists within the regulation.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 10:48:19 PM »
Read the court opinion

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 01:12:36 AM »
Seven is correct, this does not represent a new law, it just represents the new floor. I'm dumbfounded as to how the author and editor of the Dallas Biz Journal article can have such a profound misunderstanding of the law, so much so that the interpretation of the judges ruling is also very wrong. Also I have no idea why the idiot author mentioned Trump and Obama, how in the hell do you write for a business journal and not know that the Obama administration used the same method of amending the FLSA as the Bush administration did?

http://www.natlawreview.com/article/new-overtime-regulations-put-hold-us-federal-court-judge-enjoins-implementation-flsa
This article is much better, if you don't want to read the entire thing, here is the heart of the ruling
Judge Mazzant found that the plaintiffs were likely to suffer irreparable harm in the absence of preliminary relief, which could not be compensated by monetary damages.   He further found that the balance of hardships favored an injunction, as the states would be required to spend substantial sums of unrecoverable public funds if the Final Rule were to go into effect, and implementation would interfere with government services and operations.  Finally, Judge Mazzant found that the public interest would be served by an injunction, as implementation could significantly affect state budgets, cause layoffs, and disrupt governmental functions.  He therefore concluded that a brief delay in implementation of the Final Rule—essentially, maintaining the status quo pending a trial in the merits—was warranted.

Essentially this is a stall because he bought the bullshit that it's actually going to break people, that isn't true. Doesn't matter though, this stunt has just bought little to no time. It's going to be tough to prove that the Obama administration overreached when there's precedent for what they did.

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 06:36:33 AM »
Mute point.  Likely will.be dropped by Sessions.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 12:07:22 PM »
MIR, I dont think you understand how difficult it is to obtain an injunction. That's how far afield these rules are. It was an egregious abuse of power.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 12:32:37 PM »
MIR, I dont think you understand how difficult it is to obtain an injunction. That's how far afield these rules are. It was an egregious abuse of power.

LOL. I know this isn't a thing for your people but you should read the history of the FLSA.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 12:37:58 PM »
Good grief,  :facepalm:

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 12:51:31 PM »
Good grief,  :facepalm:
I am a FSD People, a member of the Dax Guild, and cardcarrying member of the KSUW fan club.  This move would have resulted in many government workers being canned and replaced by contract laborers.  Highfalootin do gooders are never realistic.  Thank God for Texas goober judges.  A Trump loaded court will end this stupid mania.  Sick'em FSD.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2016, 12:53:59 PM »
Don't most pubs want to shed a bunch of govt jobs?

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2016, 12:56:07 PM »
Like, MIR obviously didn't read the law review article he posted. It clearly answers lib7 and his stupid rough ridin' questions.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2016, 12:58:29 PM »
Clinton using stein as a proxy to recount the votes is brilliant.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best