Author Topic: The Un-Foul  (Read 2987 times)

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
The Un-Foul
« on: January 01, 2018, 10:00:57 PM »
Early in the game a WVU player elbowed Sneed square in the jaw and got called for a foul. The refs went to the monitor--last season this would have been to decide whether assess a flagrant 1 or 2--, negated the foul, and gave WVU the ball back.

I've never seen a foul undone in my life. What in the hell was going on there?  It was clearly a foul.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: The Un-Foul
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 10:10:14 PM »
Early in the game a WVU player elbowed Sneed square in the jaw and got called for a foul. The refs went to the monitor--last season this would have been to decide whether assess a flagrant 1 or 2--, negated the foul, and gave WVU the ball back.

I've never seen a foul undone in my life. What in the hell was going on there?  It was clearly a foul.
I didn't know they could do that

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 11:40:14 AM »
when they gave carter the jump ball towards the end of the game, i loudly applauded.  he's such a good defender.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 11:59:19 AM »

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 07:31:56 PM »
when they gave carter the jump ball towards the end of the game, i loudly applauded.  he's such a good defender.
It was a fantastic play. He is fun to watch play defense.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 10:28:16 PM »
I liked when they made Stokes leave the game bc he was bleeding out of his mouth and shoulder as a result of Carter's jump ball. Classic b12 refs. Sticklers for the finer rules.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 10:29:14 PM »
Nobody knows why an egregious elbow to the face was nullified as a foul?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 10:43:09 PM »
Did you not watch the broadcast? Manzer described why pretty well. Also they were able to reverse the call using replay because it was a flagrant foul not a common foul. They changed that rule last year or the year before.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 10:46:47 PM »
I did not listen to the "broadcast"

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 03:11:40 AM »
Did you not watch the broadcast? Manzer described why pretty well. Also they were able to reverse the call using replay because it was a flagrant foul not a common foul. They changed that rule last year or the year before.

So, I have no skin in this game and they beat us because they are better coached and better in general. But, you can overturn a flagrant but not a regular foul? Well, it looked like a flagrant, but, crap, it was nothing. WV ball. As opposed to we mumped up a slapping foul on the permitter, but there ain't crap we can do about it? Bball refereeing is weird..

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 04:53:47 AM »

So, I have no skin in this game and they beat us because they are better coached and better in general. But, you can overturn a flagrant but not a regular foul? Well, it looked like a flagrant, but, crap, it was nothing. WV ball. As opposed to we mumped up a slapping foul on the permitter, but there ain't crap we can do about it? Bball refereeing is weird..
Yep. Can only review a flagrant. Can't find a common.

However the jump ball play being discussed could have been turned into a flagrant had they chosen to review after seeing the blood. That's if the contact had been considered flagrant after review. They couldn't issue a regular foul.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 07:41:34 AM »
I also figured if they were reviewing for a flagrant foul that a common foul was a given. Kinda weird especially in that situation. Still, at the time I was glad they overturned it cause WVU is way better at getting in people’s grills so we needed to be able to swing our elbows in those situations too.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 07:44:06 AM »
Cylinder rule. Sneed was in the WV player's space as defined by the new rules, therefore it shouldn't have been a foul in the first place. Maybe a block
:adios:

Offline cat97

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 08:23:10 AM »
Cylinder rule. Sneed was in the WV player's space as defined by the new rules, therefore it shouldn't have been a foul in the first place. Maybe a block
  Sneed was crowding him but the cylinder must be pretty big to allow you to swing your elbow at full extension and connect on the guys chin with the point of your elbow. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2018, 09:59:00 AM »

Yep. Can only review a flagrant. Can't find a common.

However the jump ball play being discussed could have been turned into a flagrant had they chosen to review after seeing the blood. That's if the contact had been considered flagrant after review. They couldn't issue a regular foul.

You are correct, a common foul cannot be reviewed. On that jump ball I don't think the officials would have called a flagrant if they reviewed it. Remember almost a decade ago when the rule change was all blows above the shoulder was an automatic flagrant? They changed that rule after a couple of years to add something to the effect of "forceable contact" to the rule. They would have almost certainly ruled that inadvertent.

As far as the cylinder rule goes, I was positive the WVU player was outside of his cylinder, but Manzer was so quick to cite the rule and say that X impeded on the cylinder that I just figured that I was watching with bias.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 11:42:36 AM »
  Sneed was crowding him but the cylinder must be pretty big to allow you to swing your elbow at full extension and connect on the guys chin with the point of your elbow. 

yep.  no way sneed was inside the other dude's cylinder and that should have been obvious to the refs when they checked the replay.  of course, not overturning it would have made huggs angry and that's the last thing they wanted to do.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 12:24:11 PM »
of course, not overturning it would have made huggs angry and that's the last thing they wanted to do.

a dead ball observo: huggins, belligerantly telling a ref about important points in the game that had been incorrectly officiated from about 12 feet away.  the ref, impassively but attentively listening without responding until huggins reaches a natural terminus to his communication.  the ref pointing down to huggins' feet, states "you're on the court".  huggins, looking down then back up again to the ref's face, steps back into his box.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2018, 12:35:20 PM »
:lol:  that’s our huggs!

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.