Author Topic: We suck ass (game thread)  (Read 5511 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: We suck ass (game thread)
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2016, 11:13:17 PM »
I really hate Sean.

:confused:
I really hate his approach to kickoffs.  Our coverage typically doesn't net us any gain versus kicking it to the endzone.

Did you not hear the broadcasters talk about the wind issues? We had multiple touchbacks last week. OU didn't have any touchbacks either.

Actually incorrect as the first and last drives we had started with touchbacks.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=400869608

And the announcers were pretty clear that wind should matter that much.

But point is that this has been a consistent issue where his schemes out do what we can actually do on field.
When they were talking about the wind not mattering they were specifically referring to two consecutive over throws that Ertz had it wasn't in relation to kicking.
No the point is that when the kicker is able to kick the ball in the endzone he can. He benched Patterson because he wasn't able to get touchbacks, now the kicker gets them when he can, I'm not sure what more you expect from a position coach.

I'm also 80% confident that if you averaged the defensive field position on non touchback kicks it would be near or inside the 25 but its whatever I'm sure you would find some loophole to avoid saying you were actually wrong.

Yes I'm avoiding it.  Or you stuck your foot in your mouth and are now the one obfuscating because you were wrong. Because nothing says loophole like a binary right wrong statement and not paying attention to the game drives. OU has the ability to cover and that is why they didn't use the touchback.   I guess McCrane did something different when he got his touchback the one time he was (probably) allowed to.

But I'd welcome someone to show me some stats on the field position advantage.
36 kickoffs on the season; 12 touchbacks,  2 returns of 20-29 yards, 3 returns of 30-39 yards, 0 returns of 40+

So to recap only 5 out of the 36 kicks returns on the year were for more than 20 yards. None over 39. Also worth noting that three of the five were from a now demoted kicker. Only one of those two 20+ returns resulted in a possession outside of the 30 yard line, so we've had a whole 4 out of 36 kicks that had returns lengthy enough to start the possession on the plus side of the 30.

I'm sure you'll either ignore this or find a way to argue back that you were right, continuing your lengthy streak of never conceding you were wrong about anything.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2016, 11:28:29 PM »
Wow you're a tool bag.  It's great that you can't admit you're wrong about anything and continue down this line of blaming everyone else for your errors.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2016, 11:35:22 PM »
Sean h8rs are cute
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2016, 12:10:08 AM »
Oh and leaving out the two crap teams, OU averaged out to starting at their 30, Tech was 22.4, WVU was 24 if you include a gift of a holding call.  Exclude that and it's 29.33, include the real run back and it becomes 33.75.  Stanford was 32.5. Oh and last years Ark was 32.85, OSU 28.75, ISU 25.33, Baylor 28.66, just random teams I picked for no good reason. 

So with the exception of Tech game this year we've been giving away yards on what is supposedly the most dangerous set of plays in football (see explanation for moving the kick off).  So yeah there isn't any real benefit for kicking it so a team can make a return attempt/our coverage to get there early.  More often than not we are giving the other team yards from the games I've looked at.  Combine that with the explosive effects of a long runback/TD and it's pretty clear why so many teams go for touchbacks and not returns. 
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2016, 01:16:34 AM »
You still don't know if we are kicking it short intentionally on every kickoff so this entire argument is moot. The only way you can reasonably blame Sean for this is if you know which kickoffs are being called short and the impending result. The one against OU that apparently led you to post that you hate Sean was fielded on the goal line so you'll have to let me know how you were able to determine that McCrane was instructed to kick it short.

Also I'm not certain how you figured that OU averaged the 30 on their starting field position according to ESPN, OU's drives commencing from kickoffs started on the 37, 23, 25, and 25; that's the 28 yard line.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2016, 01:41:23 AM »
So you still aren't ready to admit you were wrong from before, but lets move past that.

And some basics on stats, you exclude values that don't fit within your data set.  So those 2 touchbacks at the 25 you include, you shouldn't have included because they are, wait for it, touchbacks.  I'm specifically talking about kicking off for returns versus kicks for touchbacks/unreturnable.  You do bring up a valid point that I don't know which are kicked for return.  But we can reasonably assume they aren't being kicked for return when they are kicked 9 yards deep or out of the back of the endzone.  I for one think McCrane can do that just fine, as he has shown the leg ability in the past.  And I guess we'll have to take some common sense approach to this when it's obvious they are kicking for coverage since that is something we've done consistently this year, as 66% of our kickoffs are for coverage, by your numbers.  And that pads your touchback numbers with shitty teams and teams that just didn't want to take it out, since as you point out we don't really know Sean's intentions. 

I'll await your next post where you blame me again for being right and pointing out your fallacies without admitting you're wrong. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2016, 02:04:51 AM »
OMG, I'm done