Author Topic: Snyder Things  (Read 11433 times)

Offline Snydercat34

• Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Snyder Things
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2016, 10:57:08 AM »
Anybody listen to the LHC Bill Snyder Show last night?
His memory is getting the best of him unless he said the following purposely but why he would do that I'm not sure. Anyway, he was asked by a caller:  what were some of his most memorable wins here and he said the first win vs. Northern Iowa and then the Big 12 Championship game in '97 or '98, he couldn't seem to remember which of those two seasons, both wrong of course, that win occurred vs. #1 OU. I think it's a combination of his age and corresponding memory loss beginning to set in and two, he's not one to reflect on the past, which could make it harder to remember specific dates or who you beat in your first victory here.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2016, 10:59:03 AM »
I don't think anyone's forgotten the Championship game in '98.  :frown:

Offline ELL3

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2016, 11:14:04 AM »
Anybody listen to the LHC LHC Bill Snyder Show last night?
His memory is getting the best of him unless he said the following purposely but why he would do that I'm not sure. Anyway, he was asked by a caller:  what were some of his most memorable wins here and he said the first win vs. Northern Iowa and then the Big 12 Championship game in '97 or '98, he couldn't seem to remember which of those two seasons, both wrong of course, that win occurred vs. #1 OU. I think it's a combination of his age and corresponding memory loss beginning to set in and two, he's not one to reflect on the past, which could make it harder to remember specific dates or who you beat in your first victory here.

Northern Iowa (loss to Terry Allen) was his first home game, I noted on one of his weekly teleconfrences (a Monday) he referred to Charles Jones as "JJ" twice, this happens and it's not fun. My dad went through the same thing at the same age, gotta hunch this season is it for Coach Snydes 

Offline DOD Take 2

• Combo-Fan
  • Corndogs Jackie! Corndogs for all these people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2016, 12:13:51 PM »
Anybody listen to the LHC LHC Bill Snyder Show last night?

Northern Iowa (loss to Terry Allen) was his first home game, I noted on one of his weekly teleconfrences (a Monday) he referred to Charles Jones as "JJ" twice, this happens and it's not fun. My dad went through the same thing at the same age, gotta hunch this season is it for Coach Snydes

It's entirely possible he took it as most memorable games or most memorable losses and just misheard the question. JJ could also be a nickname for Charles Jones among teammates/coaches that we aren't aware of.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2016, 12:29:06 PM »
Apologies if this has already been posted and I missed it -- ESPN spoke with Snyder after his 77th birthday:

http://www.espn.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/115467/at-77-k-states-snyder-keeps-doing-what-we-do

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2016, 12:43:13 PM »
I will miss everything about the late '90's and almost nothing afterward.
that's just silly..

I was spoiled, friend.

Spoiled with all those late 90's conference championships I bet.

Spoiled with games that are high offensive and defensive parties that were a pure joy to watch vs being frustrated regardless of the game.

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2016, 12:59:10 PM »
styrofoam coffee cups is a good one, especially that one article that said he drinks up to 17 a day  :sdeek: wearing a windbreaker and long pants even when it's like 100 degrees. long bombs off of fake options. god i loved it when we did that in snyder 1.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2016, 01:24:47 PM »
taco bell

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2016, 01:31:35 PM »
Our fans have created such a level of lore and morphed Bill into something slightly more than a near deity by explaining away his quirks as some master stroke of genius and as intentional means of squeezing something more out of every little detail that normal mere mortals can't even see, let alone plan around.

The transition from a highly intelligent OCD coach with amazing work ethic and, at very least, slight autism to anyone else will be very interesting.  The new guy better come pre-loaded with his own mythical aura.  Otherwise, he will be some lowly nothing human with bad habits and worse results unless he immediately wins crap loads of games. 

I mean, the next guy can bring in a Huggins-esque first and second crew of kids and be seen as a shitty coach who can't even win with the high recruits if he doesn't go 10-2 or better.   I mean, how quickly do we devolve into calls for shitty try-hards?   

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2016, 01:44:34 PM »
Our fans have created such a level of lore and morphed Bill into something slightly more than a near deity by explaining away his quirks as some master stroke of genius and as intentional means of squeezing something more out of every little detail that normal mere mortals can't even see, let alone plan around.

The transition from a highly intelligent OCD coach with amazing work ethic and, at very least, slight autism to anyone else will be very interesting.  The new guy better come pre-loaded with his own mythical aura.  Otherwise, he will be some lowly nothing human with bad habits and worse results unless he immediately wins crap loads of games. 

I mean, the next guy can bring in a Huggins-esque first and second crew of kids and be seen as a shitty coach who can't even win with the high recruits if he doesn't go 10-2 or better.   I mean, how quickly do we devolve into calls for shitty try-hards?
What an absolutely stupid post. 

Ron Prince, of all people, was widely beloved by our fans until at least late into his second year when it became apparent that he didn't know what he was doing.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2016, 01:46:23 PM »

The next guy just needs to win at a reasonable rate (8-9 wins per year). Period. Any odd quirks or habits or whatever become endearing when you win or reasons to hate the coach when you lose. At the end of the day its that simple.

I have no problem with our fans perception of Snyder. He built K-State football from nothing and has given us a bunch of seasons full of memories. I'm by no means saying he's a flawless man, but I have no problem with people making him more than perhaps he is.

Regardless, its going to be tough to follow Snyder.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2016, 01:55:07 PM »

Ron Prince, of all people, was widely beloved by our fans until at least late into his second year when it became apparent that he didn't know what he was doing.

I certainly don't remember adoration for Ron.  I remember quite a bit of skepticism.  Also, this time around will be harder because of Ron and the outcome.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2016, 02:10:41 PM »

I certainly don't remember adoration for Ron.  I remember quite a bit of skepticism.  Also, this time around will be harder because of Ron and the outcome.
When he was hired and his subsequent nabbing of Freeman, people were in love with him.  My dad let me skip school one morning in December '05 to go to the 810 Zone in Leawood to see him.  That place was absolutely packed at like, 10 in the morning on a weekday.  I imagine the rest of his catbacker tour that day was similar. 

Months later, k-state had what was probably the most highly attended spring game in its history, simply because Ron asked people to come.

You don't remember the feeling of optimism after the '06 season with true sophomore Freemaw coming back?

You don't remember the RP love after the Prince-stomp drubbing of Texas in '07? 

Your memory is off.  The vast majority of Cat fans were behind him for the majority of his tenure.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2016, 02:13:00 PM »
The vast majority of Cat fans were behind him for the majority of his tenure.

:gocho:

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2016, 02:13:12 PM »
I mean, the next guy can bring in a Huggins-esque first and second crew of kids and be seen as a shitty coach who can't even win with the high recruits if he doesn't go 10-2 or better. 
Nobody should expect a 10 win season right off the bat I feel like the cats will always be a 10 win team every 5 or so years.
Also the new hire if he is what the people want will be given adequate time unless he's just a dumpster fire his first couple of years. But if we hire someone that isn't qualified or we aren't excited about he will have a short leash.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2016, 02:30:17 PM »
Whoever we hire next will probably fail and be fired 3 or 4 years in, but that's just how college football hires work. It might have something to do with Snyder's success, but most college football hires end up as failures, regardless of what school is hiring. It took Michigan 3 hires to get Harbaugh after Carr. Florida still hasn't found their guy after Urban quit. Texas is going to fire Strong either this year or next year. How often do you see a school replace a successful coach with another successful coach?

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2016, 02:31:30 PM »

i didn't live in ks so i can't comment on what it was like on the ground but my reactions were: he isn't qualified, he sounds like an idiot, and he has no connections to kstate.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2016, 03:28:33 PM »
Guys, people went bonkers for Prince. Bonkers. Including CF3. J-Dub however called him Princess from day 1 and never forgave him for walking around the student section during a basketball game.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2016, 03:47:50 PM »
Prince was a roller coaster. I was very skeptical of the hire, but gave him a shot. The beginning was rough, but by the time we beat UT I was on board. KU and the bowl loss brought caution, but a great start with another win against UT had me back. Then the wheels fell off and by the time Nebraska scored 73 I was done.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2016, 03:50:03 PM »
I remember going to the basketball game which was right after the football game against mizzou in 2007 and thinking, holy crap, we're a basketball school.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Snyder Things
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2016, 03:54:00 PM »
Prince came in with quite a bit of momentum. Getting Freeman was a big deal, as was the defensive coordinator (Rashad something) he brought in (if he had stayed, Ron probably would have been here at least another season or two). Ron didn't have a terrible run for the time he was here compared to the last couple Snyder seasons. It's mostly just the fact we couldn't beat anyone that we were even remotely rivals with in the North.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2016, 03:59:44 PM »
McGrowel Towel

:emawkid: :emawkid: :emawkid: :emawkid:

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2016, 04:01:04 PM »
Prince came in with quite a bit of momentum. Getting Freeman was a big deal, as was the defensive coordinator (Rashad something) he brought in (if he had stayed, Ron probably would have been here at least another season or two). Ron didn't have a terrible run for the time he was here compared to the last couple Snyder seasons. It's mostly just the fact we couldn't beat anyone that we were even remotely rivals with in the North.

Raheem Morris, JFC. :facepalm: :dubious:
:adios:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Snyder Things
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2016, 04:27:26 PM »
Prince's initial staff was great.

It included an NFL hc as a coordinator and a successfulish college coach as the other coordinator.  Compared to now it would be a huge upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2016, 04:36:44 PM »
I agree, a lot of people were excited or at least very cautiously optimistic about Prince.   But then a slow creep came in that gained momentum when it start showing that (as Dlew said) he really didn't know what he was doing.    The mass JC signings, and lack of urgency that I think that's needed at K-State coupled with a lot of high schoolish talk and actions.