Author Topic: Cats BB 2016  (Read 55951 times)

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Cats BB 2016
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2016, 07:07:34 PM »
Postby pulitzerdave » October 9th, 2016, 6:29 pm

Gor, I got to watch the scrimmage/practice with learnin and Puffdad on my annual football trip to Manhattan - was just lucky that the scrimmage was on the same day. Here's my take:

Ten guys will play most of the minutes this year, and this is the way I see the rotation. Starters: DJamer, Wade, Wesley, Stokes and Brown. Honestly, I don't see how you can keep Brown's scoring out of this lineup. Sixth men A and B (and first off the bench) will be Sneed and Ervin. Ervin is better than last year, and is more than adequate as a back-up point guard. Actually, in the scrimmage he pushed the ball on the break better than Stokes. I'm a little concerned about Stokes, because I don't think he's completely healed from the knee surgery. He looked a half step slow, and was reluctant to push his game. So, Ervin may be VERY important to the success of this season. Sneed is a better shooter than I thought. His form is nice, and he nailed two threes from opposite corners. He didn't do much inside, so I can't really say much about that. Back to the starters. I liked the way DJamer and Dean worked together, with a number of nice passes between them creating scoring opportunities. Dean didn't hesitate to shoot the three, and seems more confident than last year. DJamer showed a number of good, strong inside moves, and was dominant inside in this scrimmage. He may still have trouble in conference with bigger posts guarding him. The third guy in this rotation will be Maurice, who has enormous upside. He's lithe and quick, and can shoot the 3. Budke will round out the inside rotation, and foul trouble may dictate how much he plays. Williams was apparently hurt, and didn't suit up, and Love is at least a year away from seeing the floor.

I've already expressed my concerns for Stokes, but I have none for Brown. As we know from last year, he's a natural scorer and is even better than last year. Puff told me that he's the toughest practice matchup on the team - extremely hard to guard and stay in front of.

BIG NEWS - the Westicles experiment (new shot) may turn out to be a good thing after all. He has absolutely transformed his shooting form. I thought I was watching a different player. And the best part of it - the ball was going in! Wes could move up to All-Conference second team, and I expect him to.

Patrick will be the 8th or 9th guy off the bench, and will add depth and scoring. I really like this guy.

Overall, the scrimmage was sloppy at times, with too many tipped passes, turnovers and lack of continuity on offense, but it was very competitive, and defense was definitely ahead of offense.

The leadership should be good with four seniors, all of whom will be in the top 10 rotation.

Here's what I see for this team - Top 4 finish in the conference, 23-24 wins, easily in the NCAA field with a decent seed.
Thanks for the breakdown.  I am very excited about.this bunch. It is nice to be optimistic.  I started quivering watching Maurice.  He is like a quicker Claws.  I think his moniker will be Mr. Bullnuts.  We aren't going to be a flashy bunch, but solid meat and taters.  Sneed will be the gravy we didn't have last year.  If Budke, aka Hot Horndog, plays much, oscar will be gone.  It looked like to me Budke was the cause of some of the sloppiness.

Offline The Whale

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2016, 09:27:13 PM »
No one even raises an eyebrow that Budke is going to get minutes :(

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline ksu101

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2016, 10:04:23 PM »
No one even raises an eyebrow that Budke is going to get minutes :(

This.  No way we compete for anything if we don't even have enough talent/depth on the roster to keep Budke on the bench. 

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2016, 11:49:16 PM »
Maurice is lithe af you guys

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2016, 10:18:52 AM »
#BanBasketball
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline ELL3

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2016, 09:42:05 PM »
Postby pulitzerdave » October 9th, 2016, 6:29 pm

Gor, I got to watch the scrimmage/practice with learnin and Puffdad on my annual football trip to Manhattan - was just lucky that the scrimmage was on the same day. Here's my take:

Ten guys will play most of the minutes this year, and this is the way I see the rotation. Starters: DJamer, Wade, Wesley, Stokes and Brown. Honestly, I don't see how you can keep Brown's scoring out of this lineup. Sixth men A and B (and first off the bench) will be Sneed and Ervin. Ervin is better than last year, and is more than adequate as a back-up point guard. Actually, in the scrimmage he pushed the ball on the break better than Stokes. I'm a little concerned about Stokes, because I don't think he's completely healed from the knee surgery. He looked a half step slow, and was reluctant to push his game. So, Ervin may be VERY important to the success of this season. Sneed is a better shooter than I thought. His form is nice, and he nailed two threes from opposite corners. He didn't do much inside, so I can't really say much about that. Back to the starters. I liked the way DJamer and Dean worked together, with a number of nice passes between them creating scoring opportunities. Dean didn't hesitate to shoot the three, and seems more confident than last year. DJamer showed a number of good, strong inside moves, and was dominant inside in this scrimmage. He may still have trouble in conference with bigger posts guarding him. The third guy in this rotation will be Maurice, who has enormous upside. He's lithe and quick, and can shoot the 3. Budke will round out the inside rotation, and foul trouble may dictate how much he plays. Williams was apparently hurt, and didn't suit up, and Love is at least a year away from seeing the floor.

I've already expressed my concerns for Stokes, but I have none for Brown. As we know from last year, he's a natural scorer and is even better than last year. Puff told me that he's the toughest practice matchup on the team - extremely hard to guard and stay in front of.

BIG NEWS - the Westicles experiment (new shot) may turn out to be a good thing after all. He has absolutely transformed his shooting form. I thought I was watching a different player. And the best part of it - the ball was going in! Wes could move up to All-Conference second team, and I expect him to.

Patrick will be the 8th or 9th guy off the bench, and will add depth and scoring. I really like this guy.

Overall, the scrimmage was sloppy at times, with too many tipped passes, turnovers and lack of continuity on offense, but it was very competitive, and defense was definitely ahead of offense.

The leadership should be good with four seniors, all of whom will be in the top 10 rotation.

Here's what I see for this team - Top 4 finish in the conference, 23-24 wins, easily in the NCAA field with a decent seed.

Where did you find this masterpiece? Budke and depth in the same discussion? # 4 seed :ROFL:

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2016, 06:06:41 PM »

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2016, 06:48:44 PM »
I have the bandwagon out of the shed. It is gassed up. I'm honking the horn hollering for anybody who wants to hop on. We're going to be better than last place in this league. You have too much depth with the good and good blend of experience. If Oscar can't do better than ninth with this bunch you should be canned.

Offline ksu101

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2016, 08:11:22 PM »
I hope everyone realizes this means all oscar has to do to keep his job is finish better than 9th.   :dubious:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2016, 08:17:39 PM »
If he finished at or below 5w in conf, he better be shown the door.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2016, 08:25:11 PM »
NCAAs or gone. Period.

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2016, 08:38:49 PM »
NCAAs or gone. Period.

How about an NCAA win at the very minimum? He has yet to even win a tournament game since he has been here and this is year 5.

A 10-12 seed and a first round loss shouldn't cut it.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2016, 09:05:50 PM »
I hope everyone realizes this means all oscar has to do to keep his job is finish better than 9th.   :dubious:

What? How do you figure?

Offline BostonPancake

• Katpak'r
  • I'm all about the T in TSC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2016, 09:14:08 PM »
Expectations:

NCAA 6 seed or better.
Play to seed in tourney.
0 or 1 loss in non conference (and that should be EASY to achieve.  Wooftastic scheduling, oscar)
0 or 1 loss at home.

This is year five.  Ninth place????  Ninth???!!???  If we finish ninth oscar shouldn't even be coaching in the big 12 tournament.

The Big Train

« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2016, 09:16:16 PM »
National championship or gone. Period.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2016, 12:18:16 AM »

unrelated, but we realize the crap out of this

Offline #LIFE

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2016, 12:17:56 PM »
Picked 9th in the preseason poll.  :ksu:

https://twitter.com/Big12Conference/status/786642672823828480

I guess I just want to see guys perform in the same role they will be in before I anoint them. Not sure I agree that KU brings back a lot. KU brings back Mason and Graham, with a post player that is only good on one end of the floor, and from there it is a bunch of bench guys and freshman. Sorry, I have to see Bragg make a shot outside of a foot before I pencil him in as great. Same with Svi, gotta do it every night. Same with ISU. No Niang and the dude with dreads inside, what kind of production do they get from their Bigs?? Huge question mark to me. How good can Morris be as the main guy. Can Thomas make shots when people don't have to pay much attention to the post players?? Will Burton actually give effort all the time and do more than just look to score?? Baylor, who do they have to replace their studs inside beyond Motley?? How do you know that Underwood is a huge step up in coaching?? Why is Evans given all kinds of love for returning, but Stokes, who lit up UNC, is an afterthought??
Just seems that what these coaches are saying is this: KSU, although a crappy record, competed hard most every game, with a bunch of freshman in huge roles. KSU has a 3rd Team all conference guy returning, 3 guys on the all newcomer team, maybe the best offensive post player in the league, who is finally healthy returning, a 4 star recruit, and ten extra practices and five extra games, but KSU is actually going to be WORSE than last year???
All these other teams have all these new guys in new roles, but KSU is the team that is going to be WORSE?? Westicles goes from 3rd Team to no mention?? Our three returning newcomer team guys, no mention?? These guys are all going to be worse this year???
Ridiculous

I guess these predictions make it even more puzzling to me. So last year, in a veteran, loaded Big 12, KSU is coming off a dumpster fire year with massive defections, but we are picked 8th. This year, in a league with ??????????????? everywhere you look, we return 75% or whatever of our production, but we are picked lower??
Add to that Westicles is 3rd Team all conference last year, but not even mentioned as HM in the  preaseason???
We have 10 extra practices and extra games, but these coaches really feel we will be much worse?? Doesn't make sense to me.
Who did we piss off?????

Such BS

This is a good thing.  Our teams roster is what it is.  This is what the other coaches think of them.  We can be sure our coaches and players will use this for motivation.

This is where I'm at.  It is the same with the football team.  How many times have we seen Coach Snyder's teams picked for 5th or lower in the conference standings, only to see them greatly exceed expectations.  I think our basketball team is capable of doing the same.

Yeah, I guess I just don't get it. I know we only won 5 games, but those 5 wins were all comfortable wins, we didn't win a single conference game that went to the wire and we pulled it out, those 5 games were all over with two minutes left, so you can't say we stole a game somewhere. But we lost three OT games, had a buzzer beater against Texas at home, those were 50/50 games that obviously could have gone either way.
Add to that the fact that we were relying on the same guys to win last year that we will rely on this year, in the same roles.
Basically these coaches are just saying DJamer, Wes, Wade, Stokes and Brown are garbage. That is what they are saying.
Only Texas and KU has more than one guy rated higher than Sneed. Baylor, TCU and OU each have one guy rated higher than Sneed, but all of these other teams are going to put new guys in new roles, a couple with new coaches, and they are going to be better than KSU??
I just don't see how this wouldn't just absolutely stoke the fires for our guys. No way you can look at this and not get a HUGE chip on your shoulder.
OSU, really?? Was Evans playing any better than Stokes before injury?? I know he lit up KU, but hell, Stokes lit up a better team in UNC. Forte is a one dimensional player.
Tech?? Going to just keep rolling along after losing Tubby and a couple of hard nosed, gritty seniors??
If I am on that staff and on that team in purple, I would have the biggest case of red a..... possible.  If our guys don't play with incredible fire and desire, something is definitely wrong.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2016, 12:32:30 PM »
Great. Bulletin board material. We should be fine.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2016, 12:33:52 PM »
:lol:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2016, 12:44:05 PM »
that graphic says kstate was picked 8th, so all you picked 9th quislings can leave the family.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2016, 12:45:09 PM »

What? How do you figure?

Some people who are frustrated that he hasn't been fired yet pretend there's almost nothing he can do to actually be fired. John Currie doesn't have high performance standards for basketball, but they do exist.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2016, 12:54:45 PM »
Picked 9th in the preseason poll.  :ksu:

https://twitter.com/Big12Conference/status/786642672823828480

I guess I just want to see guys perform in the same role they will be in before I anoint them. Not sure I agree that KU brings back a lot. KU brings back Mason and Graham, with a post player that is only good on one end of the floor, and from there it is a bunch of bench guys and freshman. Sorry, I have to see Bragg make a shot outside of a foot before I pencil him in as great. Same with Svi, gotta do it every night. Same with ISU. No Niang and the dude with dreads inside, what kind of production do they get from their Bigs?? Huge question mark to me. How good can Morris be as the main guy. Can Thomas make shots when people don't have to pay much attention to the post players?? Will Burton actually give effort all the time and do more than just look to score?? Baylor, who do they have to replace their studs inside beyond Motley?? How do you know that Underwood is a huge step up in coaching?? Why is Evans given all kinds of love for returning, but Stokes, who lit up UNC, is an afterthought??
Just seems that what these coaches are saying is this: KSU, although a crappy record, competed hard most every game, with a bunch of freshman in huge roles. KSU has a 3rd Team all conference guy returning, 3 guys on the all newcomer team, maybe the best offensive post player in the league, who is finally healthy returning, a 4 star recruit, and ten extra practices and five extra games, but KSU is actually going to be WORSE than last year???
All these other teams have all these new guys in new roles, but KSU is the team that is going to be WORSE?? Westicles goes from 3rd Team to no mention?? Our three returning newcomer team guys, no mention?? These guys are all going to be worse this year???
Ridiculous

I guess these predictions make it even more puzzling to me. So last year, in a veteran, loaded Big 12, KSU is coming off a dumpster fire year with massive defections, but we are picked 8th. This year, in a league with ??????????????? everywhere you look, we return 75% or whatever of our production, but we are picked lower??
Add to that Westicles is 3rd Team all conference last year, but not even mentioned as HM in the  preaseason???
We have 10 extra practices and extra games, but these coaches really feel we will be much worse?? Doesn't make sense to me.
Who did we piss off?????

Such BS

This is a good thing.  Our teams roster is what it is.  This is what the other coaches think of them.  We can be sure our coaches and players will use this for motivation.

This is where I'm at.  It is the same with the football team.  How many times have we seen Coach Snyder's teams picked for 5th or lower in the conference standings, only to see them greatly exceed expectations.  I think our basketball team is capable of doing the same.

Yeah, I guess I just don't get it. I know we only won 5 games, but those 5 wins were all comfortable wins, we didn't win a single conference game that went to the wire and we pulled it out, those 5 games were all over with two minutes left, so you can't say we stole a game somewhere. But we lost three OT games, had a buzzer beater against Texas at home, those were 50/50 games that obviously could have gone either way.
Add to that the fact that we were relying on the same guys to win last year that we will rely on this year, in the same roles.
Basically these coaches are just saying DJamer, Wes, Wade, Stokes and Brown are garbage. That is what they are saying.
Only Texas and KU has more than one guy rated higher than Sneed. Baylor, TCU and OU each have one guy rated higher than Sneed, but all of these other teams are going to put new guys in new roles, a couple with new coaches, and they are going to be better than KSU??
I just don't see how this wouldn't just absolutely stoke the fires for our guys. No way you can look at this and not get a HUGE chip on your shoulder.
OSU, really?? Was Evans playing any better than Stokes before injury?? I know he lit up KU, but hell, Stokes lit up a better team in UNC. Forte is a one dimensional player.
Tech?? Going to just keep rolling along after losing Tubby and a couple of hard nosed, gritty seniors??
If I am on that staff and on that team in purple, I would have the biggest case of red a..... possible.  If our guys don't play with incredible fire and desire, something is definitely wrong.

The tucks need to realize that being picked 9th was more of a reflection on our head coach than the players we have coming back. We have the worst coach in the league, and I don't think that's even arguable. I would trade him for any of the 9 other coaches in the league after OSU got Underwood and TCU got Dixon from Pitt. I don't think there are any fans from other Big 12 schools that would trade their current coach for oscar Weber either.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2016, 01:14:52 PM »
It's fair for those coaches to say those players are garbage, even if their underlying objection is to #oscar.  Those players chose to play for him despite what the world knows, which means they had no other options and/or they're prohibitively dumb to be not garbage in any walk of life.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2016, 01:52:42 PM »
Talked to an NBA scout who attended. Said we'll compete for the conference. Said B-Dub is a fabulous coach, who has tons of second level cred.

:lol: :lol:

can we get an updated reno nicknames chart? anyone? pls, k thx
oscar is gonna be the next coach to go pro
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2016, 01:54:57 PM »
20+ wins.  It wiil be interesting to see who steps foward as a star.  I think Muarice and Williams will make a huge difference.  Maurice supposedly can hit the 3 like Claws.
Agreed
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023