Author Topic: PS Vue/Sling TV  (Read 53970 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: PS Vue/Sling TV
« Reply #525 on: March 13, 2021, 05:27:20 PM »
MiR you are very bothered by streaming live TV as evidenced by you pointing and laughing at everyone that uses one and trashing them pretty hard any chance you get

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 13, 2021, 08:30:17 PM »
make it rain?
more like make it not stream

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 13, 2021, 09:14:00 PM »
MiR you are very bothered by streaming live TV as evidenced by you pointing and laughing at everyone that uses one and trashing them pretty hard any chance you get

I laughed at three idea that they are "essentially the same thing." I have no problem with streaming services, that's silly, they don't take my money. I stream live TV from my provider all of the time, it's provided at no additional charge.

I will continue to laugh at cord cutting fanbois who act like they discovered the Rosetta Stone but then are constantly crying about what they don't have. My guess is that this is very specific to cord cutting sports fans, but it's annoying a.f.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 13, 2021, 09:16:48 PM »
You guys do a lot of effort to save $18 and have a PITA time of figuring out how to do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 13, 2021, 09:18:58 PM »
You guys do a lot of effort to save $18 and have a PITA time of figuring out how to do it

Some of us just share accounts and spend the savings on European vacations and yachts.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 13, 2021, 09:21:26 PM »
Some excellent points there, and I definitely agree that streaming cable is not great in your situation.

Maybe I just don't use it enough to have known a problem, but I still can't agree about reliability. What do you mean here? The only time I remember yttv being unavailable was that day all of Google crashed for a few hours.

I'm guessing you have great internet? Google Fiber even?

This was from an article 3 months ago.
Possible causes and solutions for YouTube TV playback errors
The playback error can be occurring for a number of reasons, but these are the most common issues:

Bad internet connection: You need at least 5 Mbps to run YouTube TV smoothly. If your internet is down, or simply too slow, you might get a playback error message. Make sure your internet is up and running before you start streaming.
Too many users: YouTube TV supports three streams at a time. If you go beyond three streams, you’ll get a playback error. This means you can’t stream on your TV, phone, laptop, and tablet all at the same time. You get three streams on three devices at a time. Be careful not to hand out your login info to too many people, or this error will pop up frequently.
TV is not compatible: YouTube TV is compatible with the latest smart TVs and most streaming devices. Make sure your device is compatible here.
Login verification: If you’ve recently changed the password to your account and haven’t entered into whatever device you’re using to stream, you’ll get an error message prompting you enter in the new password.
Channel issue: In some cases, specific channels will be down. This isn’t an error on your end, rather it’s an issue for the specific channel. Not much you can do except wait for the channel to be back up.
Location: If you are traveling, you might be geo-locked out of your normal local channels. For example, I was recently traveling to California and couldn’t get my local Utah channels.
YouTube TV might be down. Not much you can do that besides wait for it to come back up.

These aren't issues with cable or satellite, don't get me wrong, they used to be. I'm old enough to remember when these technologies were new and cable and satellite used to be down all of the time. However, like I said, streaming services just haven't had the time to catch up with reliability but they will and it won't take anything close to the 30 years it took for cable and satellite. They've even improved reliability in bad weather. We just had the 5th slowest winter in Iowa history and we didn't lose signal once, same thing for two different tornado warnings last summer.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 13, 2021, 09:23:30 PM »
I also read something about not all smart TVs are YTTV compatible. Woof.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: March 13, 2021, 09:27:46 PM »

You sound a little Wacky-ish with these takes.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 13, 2021, 09:31:08 PM »

:confused: how so? Are what you quoted and what I quoted to 7 not factual?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: March 13, 2021, 09:32:48 PM »

First, the "woof" was what first caught my attention. Second, if your TV (without regard to its intelligence) has an HDMI port, it is YTTV compatible.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
PS Vue/Sling TV
« Reply #535 on: March 13, 2021, 10:14:35 PM »
I’m honestly not that convinced that streaming services are cheaper. Cloud DVR (limitless AFAIK) and easy customization are the biggest pluses for YTTV in my book. Add an extra package for a month if there’s something you want and ditch it the next.  Seamless integration across devices (including Google Hub) is also a plus, but I think the major cable providers are getting better about that.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 13, 2021, 11:08:06 PM »

First, the "woof" was what first caught my attention. Second, if your TV (without regard to its intelligence) has an HDMI port, it is YTTV compatible.

We've been using woof around here for over a decade, amigo. I think @Gooch is my inspiration for woof. I'll take your word for it with the smart TVs I just repeated what I read. I guess there is a work around, that requires buying another device, for smart TVs that aren't compatible.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: March 13, 2021, 11:56:22 PM »

How often do you call the cable company for a lower rate

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 14, 2021, 12:08:05 AM »
I cancel TV service every spring and restart every fall at no cost just by clicking a couple buttons.  Until the cables guys let me do that, I’m not going back. 

And I’ve got google fiber coming soon, so I’ll get to cancel the internet service from them too.

:emawkid:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: March 14, 2021, 12:39:56 AM »
This reminds me that I need to pop into xfinity next dog walk to tell them to give me more stuff for less for another 2 years. T-Y, all.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: March 14, 2021, 01:27:25 AM »

How often do you call the cable company for a lower rate

I don't, but they periodically call me to offer me free crap.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #541 on: March 14, 2021, 09:05:45 AM »

Save $1200 a year with no issues.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: March 14, 2021, 10:52:03 AM »

I thought the same thing but didn't want to bring it up. Particularly the part about hating streaming because of the sporting tweet replies.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #543 on: March 14, 2021, 11:03:53 AM »

We've been using woof around here for over a decade, amigo. I think @Gooch is my inspiration for woof. I'll take your word for it with the smart TVs I just repeated what I read. I guess there is a work around, that requires buying another device, for smart TVs that aren't compatible.
Yttv and Fire TV weren't compatible two years ago. Amazon wouldn't put the app in the store. No longer the case.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: March 14, 2021, 11:12:44 AM »

They give new subs a chromecast for free, which is specially integrated with yttv
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: March 14, 2021, 04:12:53 PM »

I thought the same thing but didn't want to bring it up. Particularly the part about hating streaming because of the sporting tweet replies.

I want to leave this thread alone but y'all keep saying stupid crap. I have been careful to not brand anybody in here an insufferable fanboy but this is the second time in like 4 posts that one of you are trying to attribute to me something I didn't say, hint, or feel. I said nothing about hating streaming, I said the opposite, I stream a lot. Like no one in the world who uses the internet hates streaming, it's actually moronic to think that's actually a thing. In fact I have the Big 10 Championship on the bottom of my phone as I type this. I very clearly said that about people, not a thing. There is no problem with streaming Sporting Kansas City matches or any other sporting event in 2021. My problem is cord cutters always trying to sell whatever service they use, like the dude version of scentsy or mary kay, or some dumb diet drink, then whining about the live sports streaming restrictions. Deal with it or don't, the rest of us don't care. Take that crap up with Google, Sinclair, Disney, Fox or whoever. Just as annoying as facebook moms.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: March 14, 2021, 06:50:59 PM »

They give new subs a chromecast for free, which is specially integrated with yttv

they extended that offer to current subscribers around Christmas and I got it and just hooked it up based on this post and they've come quite a ways with chromecasts over the years.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: March 15, 2021, 09:58:20 AM »
I cancel TV service every spring and restart every fall at no cost just by clicking a couple buttons.  Until the cables guys let me do that, I’m not going back. 

And I’ve got google fiber coming soon, so I’ll get to cancel the internet service from them too.

:emawkid:

yep, I didn't do it to say money. I did it to save from having shitty boxes on every tv, being charged for each box, having my rate double every couple of years then having to call and threaten cancel, then getting a different rate, then having to switch because they won't give me that rate anymore, then getting new boxes, then doing the same thing with the new company and then having to switch back to the old company that will now give me a decent rate again because I'm a new customer. I'll never go back to that again if I can help it. I love YTTV and have had zero issues with it. This contract dispute with Sinclair is annoying, but no way will it drive me back to cable guy land.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: March 17, 2021, 02:29:32 PM »

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: March 17, 2021, 02:31:21 PM »
dumb
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles