Author Topic: Stanford and 2004 K-State  (Read 1299 times)

Offline KsuWildcatsXII

• Fan
    • View Profile
Stanford and 2004 K-State
« on: August 10, 2016, 11:05:37 AM »
Maybe I'm being overly optimistic about K-State's defense, but I don't have much reason to think McCaffrey will run wild in the opener. Was thinking about it this morning and Stanford's offense seems really similar to K-State's in 2004. Both were coming off conference championship seasons and had Heisman hopeful RBs, but had very few returning starters elsewhere. Sproles had decent numbers in '04, but he was basically K-State's entire offense that season. Stanford is breaking in a new QB, four new offensive linemen and at least one new receiver. That's not to imply they'll be nearly as bad as that K-State team (maybe Snyder's worst team post-1992). I know Stanford's recruiting classes are light years ahead of K-State's every season. But with it being the first game for so many guys, am I crazy to say it won't shock me if K-State keeps McCaffrey relatively quiet?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
Re: Stanford and 2004 K-State
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 11:08:06 AM »

Offline Art Vandelay

• Fan
  • this guy...this guy fucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 11:12:48 AM »
They actually recruit well though, something we stopped doing at that time. Just hoping we can rattle their new starting QB and just hope to contain that white devil.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 11:17:20 AM »
They actually recruit well though, something we stopped doing at that time. Just hoping we can rattle their new starting QB and just hope to contain that white devil.
Some of our best recruiting classes were around that time. We went away from the way Bill recruited. There's tons of articles on this.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 11:18:49 AM »
Some of our best recruiting classes were around that time. We went away from the way Bill recruited. There's tons of articles on this.

IIRC, the articles were about how classes got worse because Bill went after higher profile players that we didn't get.

Offline KsuWildcatsXII

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 11:23:03 AM »

IIRC, the articles were about how classes got worse because Bill went after higher profile players that we didn't get.

And the few he actually landed were complete headcases. One even quit the team and stole stuff from Bill's house, if I remember correctly.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 11:24:59 AM »
You guys are right

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 11:29:18 AM »
If we know we are going to be big underdogs, I like playing a game like this off the bat.  Sometimes you can catch a good team flat in their first game of the season.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 11:29:40 AM »
2002 was a great class tho. Probably our best of all time. By stars at least.

https://kansasstate.rivals.com/commitments/football/2002

Offline Art Vandelay

• Fan
  • this guy...this guy fucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 12:03:42 PM »
If we know we are going to be big underdogs, I like playing a game like this off the bat.  Sometimes you can catch a good team flat in their first game of the season.

I'd agree with that. Kind of like the Auburn game in 07 where we outplayed them for 3 1/2 quarters and a sack fumble TD clinched them the game at the end.

Offline KsuWildcatsXII

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 12:29:41 PM »

I'd agree with that. Kind of like the Auburn game in 07 where we outplayed them for 3 1/2 quarters and a sack fumble TD clinched them the game at the end.

That Auburn game is basically how I see this one going, for some reason. We'll do enough to stay within a score in the fourth quarter, then a stupid mistake or two will make it look more lopsided than it really was.

Offline ELL3

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 01:08:46 PM »
2004 team, did lose a lot (KU, A&M, CU, ISU) of games that we were in a position to win in fourth quarter, so the talent was not super crappy

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 01:39:39 PM »

I would maybe agree if the team we were going to play didn't get upset in the opener last year vs a team they were favored big time over.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 01:43:28 PM »
Well, I guess on the hope side we don't really know what we're about to throw at Stanford anymore than they know what we're about to.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline KsuWildcatsXII

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 02:16:33 PM »
2004 team, did lose a lot (KU, A&M, CU, ISU) of games that we were in a position to win in fourth quarter, so the talent was not super crappy

Fair enough. Now that I think about it, 2004 and 2005 were basically just a giant "what if." The games I remember the most are the last-second Hail Mary at Colorado, Mason Crosby's game winner against Colorado the next year (after a STUPID muffed punt return by Jermaine Moreira), then the loss in Lincoln just before Bill announced his retirement. Guess I forgot how annoying those two seasons really were.